• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just waxed myself (not as bad as I thought)

aniym

Reaction score
Ok, so I've been thinking of doing this for a while, but I'd previously never had the guts to actually walk into a salon and ask them to do it for me. Internet resources on the topic (waxing for men) were annoyingly sparse. So a few days back, I just bought a wax kit off of Amazon and got to work.

I think the smart thing to do would have been to do my arms first, which are pretty hairy, and since it's winter, I'd be able to conceal them well. I was operating on the assumption that they'd grow back less dense, so I'd be ready to bust out the polo shirts and what not in spring. But I wasn't sure whether I should trim the arm hairs down first; I felt like if I did that, the hair would be conditioned to grow back denser anyway.

So I decided to do my stomach first. 100% concealment this way, and more surface area to work on. Plus, my Stomach is less hairy than my arms, so it might be easier to do as well.

So, in short, the process is this:
1) Warm up the wax.
2) Spread it over the intended area, not too thick. and do it quickly, while the wax is relatively hot (it doesn't hurt much). Don't try to spread it over too large an area, becuase it will get stuck in the hairs when it starts getting too thin, and almost immediately start hardening up,
3) Place the strip over the wax covered area. Leave about a third of the strip unexposed to the wax so that you can grab it and pull it off.
4) Count down to zero and pull. Sometimes, it'll come clean off, taking all the hair with it. Sometimes, you'll underestimate the force with which you need to pull, causing the strip to only come off partially, leaving a lot of unpulled hairs. THIS REALLY HURTS. Ripping it clean off sort of hurts, but the success mitigates some of the hurting.

I think i did a pretty good job, but my main problem was in removing the residual wax. The wax off lotion I had sucked, didn/t get anything off. I pretty much had to pull off the hardened wax that had gotten stuck on some of the hairs (I wasn't doing a full body wax), which hurt a lot, as I had to literally pull off all the hairs so that the wax had nothing to stick to. If you're considering waxing yourself at all, I'd recommend covering as much territory as possible, so that you spare yourself the pain of cleaning up.

Exfoliation is key after you're done. Take a cold shower, and use some sort of exfoliating shower gel, (the ones with the grits in them if possible), and rub a loofah or sponge gently over the treated area. This is key to reducing the possibility of ingrown hairs and pimples. I had a couple after the first 24 hours, but they're subsiding now, thank god. Oh, and to make the removal process easier, trim the hairs first. It would seriously have made a world of difference,

There it is. My contribution to vain men everywhere. It wasn't too bad in hindsight, but maybe I'll go to salon next time for the peace of mind. If you've gone the DIY route, post your experiences.

Tako-kun

Reaction score
Try one of the kits that uses a sugar solution instead of wax. That stuff is water-soluble; just take a shower to get rid of the residue.

Also +1 for exfoliation afterward. Some benzol peroxide helps when the hairs are growing back in.

aniym

Reaction score
thanks for the tip. can you point me to an online store that has one of these? I'm at school right now, so there aren't any salons nearby. Also, how often do you find yourself having to do this?

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
i continuously trim my hair with a beard trimmer, but have contemplated a wax.

There is a red door spa, where I get massages at, they charge 90 bucks for chest/back. I wonder since I only need chest it would be cheaper.

Tako-kun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aniym
thanks for the tip. can you point me to an online store that has one of these? I'm at school right now, so there aren't any salons nearby. Also, how often do you find yourself having to do this?

The stuff I'm using is called Parissa chamomile body sugar, and I just picked it up in the drug store; I haven't looked for it online.

As far as frequency; you're supposed to let the hair grow out about 1\\4" before waxing again. Seems to work out to about a month for me.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sympathy for you hairy creatures. Just be proud, and hairy. This whole ritual sounds a bit feminine.

aniym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tako-kun
The stuff I'm using is called Parissa chamomile body sugar, and I just picked it up in the drug store; I haven't looked for it online.

As far as frequency; you're supposed to let the hair grow out about 1\\4" before waxing again. Seems to work out to about a month for me.

Thanks for the tip. I've checked some reviews online, and it seems that it's slightly less effective at taking off the hair than wax (too soft, or something). I'm willing to give it a try though; anything's better than having to go through the hell of wax removal by hand.

JonB27

Reaction score
Just get laser hair removal if you don't want the hair, 4-5 sessions and you don't have to worry about it again. It's quick and a lot less painful than waxing.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i waxed my chest once and will never do it again. it was way too painful. i ripped the towel rack out of the wall during a rip. now i just use a trimmer to trim it down.

JonB27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet
did you get that done?

Yeah I got laser done.. It kind of feels like you are getting flicked with a rubber band and some areas you don't even feel... It is so convenient the hair never grew back.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
how much did it set you back? I was debating making the investment.

you are in LA, and I know the prices are prolly inflated. Here in DC I heard it was about 5k total

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics or it didn't happen.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads