• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twisty
Also, I'm a 14.5 in the neck...can I get away with buying 15 after shrinkage? I can't get the 14.5 as the sleeve lengths lower to 33.5...I need 34.5.

I order the 15" collar size with 34" sleeves, since the shoulders on that one fit me. The collar arrives slightly bigger... maybe 15 and 1/4" and shrinks down over a couple washes to 15". I have to move the button 1/8-1/4" in order for it to fit better. My ideal MTM shirt collar size is 15 1/4", with 15" being too tight and 15 1/2" being too big.

So I guess the answer to your question is that if you are okay wearing a 15" collar, you will be fine.

Twisty

Reaction score

alorable

Reaction score
Hey, I'm about to start my clinical rotations at dental school and I was wondering what everyones thought about wearing dress shirts from BoO (i.e. overdyed ocbd in plum, ash gray, ocean blue, forest green, etc) and similar fashion forward designers in a professional environment? I basically want a shirt that I can wear a tie with during school hours with my UVC, then pair up with some jeans for a night out at the bars. The dental school policy states that we should dress business casual w/ or w/o tie. I tend to notice a lot of Brooks Brother/Ralph Lauren Polo/Express styling on the guys (w/ square toe oxfords
frown.gif
). Should I just pick up a couple BB Slim/Polo Custom for school and some BoO for casual, or can I pull off just the BoO?

Dr.Teatime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alorable
Hey, I'm about to start my clinical rotations at dental school and I was wondering what everyones thought about wearing dress shirts from BoO (i.e. overdyed ocbd in plum, ash gray, ocean blue, forest green, etc) and similar fashion forward designers in a professional environment? I basically want a shirt that I can wear a tie with during school hours with my UVC, then pair up with some jeans for a night out at the bars.

The dental school policy states that we should dress business casual w/ or w/o tie. I tend to notice a lot of Brooks Brother/Ralph Lauren Polo/Express styling on the guys (w/ square toe oxfords
frown.gif
).

Should I just pick up a couple BB Slim/Polo Custom for school and some BoO for casual, or can I pull off just the BoO?

Being in the medical field also, I suggest a more conservative shirt/tie combo for clinical work. The bar scene should be left at the bar. That doesn't mean you can't wear something interesting and fitting your personal taste at work, but I think that the patient's confidence is better served with a more conservative look.

GloStiX

Reaction score
Got a 2-ply from H&M, these seem considerably better in quality than their "Easy Iron" line of $20 shirts, granted at double the price.

Any others tried these? How are they quality-wise compared to Lewin and big names? I havne't had really nice shirts before so I can't speak to that.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I hear good things about TM Lewin in this thread. If I want a slim fit shirt that fits like an Express 1MX Fitted shirt, is the John Francomb Rovereto the way to go? The Windsor and York shirts seem to all have a french cuff. I'd probably be buying 2, which shipped would end up about $40 each. Is this a wise choice?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
So I hear good things about TM Lewin in this thread. If I want a slim fit shirt that fits like an Express 1MX Fitted shirt, is the John Francomb Rovereto the way to go? The Windsor and York shirts seem to all have a french cuff. I'd probably be buying 2, which shipped would end up about $40 each. Is this a wise choice?

I liked their Milan slimfits and their Traveller (wrinkle-resistant) shirts. I didn't like their Roverto collars.

I still had to have them taken in by my tailor to get the fit I wanted.

I would go for a fitted cut, but not snugly or tight.

Never Nude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Yep, that's pretty much my life. I basically buy a shirt that fits my neck and shoulders and then pay $15-25 to get it altered and it fits like a glove.

I think of the total cost I'm willing to pay for a shirt, minus tailoring = price I'll pay for an OTR shirt that'll need to be altered...

Although I have found H&M slim fits to fit really well OTR. the quality of fabric and construction though is crap, but it's a start.

Do striped/patterned shirts look weird if significantly altered?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Never Nude
Do striped/patterned shirts look weird if significantly altered?

That would depend on what type of stripes and/or patterns they are, but in general, no.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered 4 shirts. I ordered York and Windsor shirts in white twill and a couple of Rovertos in poplin. Avg cost is just a hair over 30 bucks shipped at current exchange rates (with some discount that brought it to under 20 GBP per shirt, originally 25). If I put 15 bucks of alterations into them, I still end up at 45 apiece. I hope they're good quality.

Twisty

Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this in here: I asked for measurements on the John Francomb Rovereto Slim Fit shirts (for 15'' Collar and 33'' Sleeves): Across Chest: 42.05 Half chest: 56 Shoulder: 17.8 Half Waist: 48 I'm still trying to understand these figures
biggrin.gif
EDIT: Ramuman: If you could provide some feedback on the York/Windsor slim shirts once you get them, that would be much appreciated!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those cm? They sound way too big for a 15" if they're in inches.

Twisty

Reaction score
Definetely CM. Would be a big dude with a 42'' chest ACROSS with 15'' neck haha.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twisty
Just thought I'd throw this in here:

I asked for measurements on the John Francomb Rovereto Slim Fit shirts (for 15'' Collar and 33'' Sleeves):

Across Chest: 42.05
Half chest: 56
Shoulder: 17.8
Half Waist: 48

I'm still trying to understand these figures
biggrin.gif

EDIT:
Ramuman: If you could provide some feedback on the York/Windsor slim shirts once you get them, that would be much appreciated!

I'm guessing these just don't make any sense at all...

Can't figure out what "Across Chest" is...

56 cm "Half chest" would be 22" wide
48 cm "Half waist would be 18" wide...
4 inch taper between the chest and waist is really dramatic.

And then, 17.8 cm shoulders would be 7" across, which is (of course) totally ridiculous...

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If someone wants to shoot me measurements for the TM Lewin shirts, I will add them to the chart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads