• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what to pack for a 2 year internship?

aaguirre

Reaction score
i was chosen to be an intern in a hotel in switzerland as the assistant of the assistant of the gm, i was wondering what i should pack. of course i've got to pack some stuff for my work, but i also need to know what i should pack when i'm off. i cant really pack my streetwear because it's a resort and it's a real small town, so i have to look presentable at all times.

i've got a tailor that i trust, so i can get some stuff made from him (suits, shirts etc), but i dont know any specifics like what color suit/shirt, which of my shoes to bring and if i dont have those shoes, which shoes i'm going to have to buy etc.

it's going to be a relatively cool climate, so i also need to know what kind of coat to bring, but apparently there's a company outing every 6 months where we would go to morocco so i also need some stuff for warmer weather.

thanks for the help guys!

DrPat

Reaction score
Make sure you bring clothes for outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, etc). Small Swiss villages are not very exciting so you will probably spend lots of you free time in the mountains. Get a good waterproof jacket, preferably with Gore-Tex.

I think informal clothes would be fine to wear if you are not at work. The tourists will be busy coming and going and won't care at all about what you wear. Swiss villagers tend be involved in agriculture and wear work clothes most of the day. If you tour the cities, it is also acceptable, and more comfortable, to wear informal clothes. I would definitely bring some of your streetwear as long as it doesn't make you look like the teenage Swiss pseudogangsters who prefer baggy jeans, white sneakers, and gold chains.

For Morocco, bring clothes that you don't mind getting dirty. It's a sandy, dry, and dusty environment. I know this is heresy to say on this forum, but it's a good idea to bring synthetic clothes that can be washed in the sink and dry by the following day. This is especially true for t-shirts, underwear, and socks, which will stink too much to wear more than once.

Do not plan on buying any shoes in Switzerland because the prices are outrageous. AEs cost over 400 CHF. Crappy Timberlands which can be found for under 80 USD in the US cost 200 CHF. Clothing is also expensive, but the difference in US and Swiss prices is not so dramatic as with the shoes.

GoAussieGo

Reaction score
2-3 suits, 3 pairs of decent shoes, 10 dress shirts (if you use them everyday), lots of cold weather gear+hat+gloves+thermal, sport jacket. Small Laptop + 2 international adapters. And most importantly - your own ski boots. I'm only in Paris for two months and I still carry my ski boots.

I live out of a suitcase a lot - my strategy is to bring along what is expensive and a hassle to find overseas, and buy the cheap stuff there. E.g., underwear, t-shirts, warm weather gear, etc, you can always pick up cheaply at your destination. But custom suits, dress shoes etc, you're never sure, so bring those along with you. E.g., this time I only brought along 2 suits - and expected to shop for a few more, but you need backup.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Underwear
Passport
A warm jacket
Pants
Socks
Comb

Or you could just get your mom to do this and save time and mental anguish.

GoAussieGo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
Or you could just get your mom to do this and save time and mental anguish.

what and give your mom the mental anguish? you obviously dont love your mom
eh.gif

aaguirre

Reaction score
thanks for all the quick replies. for suits, i'm going to bring 4. I already have a 1 piece 2 button charcoal and double breasted navy suit and i'm going to bring my tuxedo along. i should probably bring a 3 piece suit along, any ideas on what the fabric should be? shoes: i have 1 brown wingtip. that's it. what brands and style should i look for? im interested in a monkstrap, any recommended brands? any good rubber soled leather shoes out there for 12 hour work days? shirts: i've got 7 tailored shirts (ive got 2 days off/week, so im guessing that should be enough?) but they're all white. what other colors should i try? casual wear: here's where im currently lost. is piques the only real way to go? my streetwear is just shirt, jeans and the occasional jacket, so i want to change this up while i'm in switzerland. drpat, what types of jacket would you recommend for those walks in the city when i dont want to look like the pseudogangsters you mentioned? what im definately bringing though are chinos and jeans. ive got a pair of ll bean engineer boots for casual wear. for tops and informal outerwear, ive got no idea. and yes, im going to bring a LOT of thermal wear. not used to the cold being from ozzteen texas.

GoAussieGo

Reaction score
Buy what you need in the US - its cheaper, though the exchange rate is moving in your favor. I would carry a 1x light, 1xmedium 1xheavy weight cloth in your suits, but more medium light weight if you have a heavy overcoat/3-piece, and use thermal etc. But bring one heavy weight since it gets very cold. Pinstripes are more acceptable in Europe, but depends sometimes on age/profession.

Casual - depends if you want to look swiss french or swiss german, but try not to look obviously like a foreigner. Foreigners/immigrants are getting attacked as of late, especially with the bad economy. Just buy your casual gear there.

DrPat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aaguirre
my streetwear is just shirt, jeans and the occasional jacket, so i want to change this up while i'm in switzerland. drpat, what types of jacket would you recommend for those walks in the city when i dont want to look like the pseudogangsters you mentioned? what im definately bringing though are chinos and jeans.

and yes, im going to bring a LOT of thermal wear. not used to the cold being from ozzteen texas.

A shirt and jeans are perfectly fine for informal situations. Just make sure the jeans are dark in color and have a good cut. Also stay away from outfits consisting of baggy chinos with pleats, an oversized polo, and boat shoes. This is the equivalent of wearing a sign around your neck that says "I am American."

If you stay away from jackets you see in hip-hop videos, you should be ok. This means nothing puffy with fake fur lining the hood. All types of wool and leather are fine. Synthetic is also ok as long as it is dark in color and has a slim cut. Most people do not wear brightly colored ski jackets on the street, but soft-shell jackets are fine for spring and fall. The Swiss brand Mamut seems to be especially popular.

Switzerland is not as cold as you would expect. It rarely snows in the cities and even in the ski resorts it's not bitterly cold. I thought a winter in Wisconsin was much worse!

DrPat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoAussieGo
Casual - depends if you want to look swiss french or swiss german, but try not to look obviously like a foreigner. Foreigners/immigrants are getting attacked as of late, especially with the bad economy. Just buy your casual gear there.

There was one recent attack on a Brazilian immigrant but it was a very isolated case. Most violence (not including petty crime) seems to be immigrant-on-immigrant. The biggest problem you'll have as an American is being accused of supporting policies most Europeans disagree with. It will be assumed that you support the death penalty, the war in Iraq, destroying the environment, US imperialism, etc. whether you do or not.

Most brands of casual gear are international and what you can buy in Switzerland, you can buy anywhere. Most of it's cheaper in the US so bring at least some of yours with you. As mentioned in my previous post, just stay away from the baggy chinos and boat shoes.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You aren't trying to pack for two years are you?

How used are you to cold weather?

If you don't want to worry about looking out of place why not wait and shop in Europe? Pick out a cute girl at work and ask for help finding stuff. There are worse ways to get to know people.

If you're coming from the US I wouldn't worry about crime. European crime makes mayberry seem like the worst warzone you've ever imagined.

aaguirre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
You aren't trying to pack for two years are you?

come to think of it, i am and i dont think that necessarily means i'm packing a shitload. i'm going to be mostly at work, so my home clothes are going to be the same everyday. might go to the city once in a while, but probably only once or twice a month (thats what i did when i was in bray for a year) so my suitcase(s) should really mostly consist of clothes for work suits, shoes and dress shirts.

the only thing i might buy there are jacket(s). we get free rentals for skis and ski equipment.

any more thoughts on what type of workshoes would be best? are monkstraps ok? what about leather slip ons for suits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads