• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The no high-fructose corn syrup diet...

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep on smoking that cigarette. It's not harmful--why would the tobacco lobby lie to us

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Hell, at least tell me why HFCS is good for me?? What are its health benefits?
In this thread so far you've managed the following: argumentum ad hominem argumentum ad nauseum argumentum ad consequentiam argumentum ad naturam argumentum ad metum petitio principii non causa pro causa guilt by association (is there a latin name for this?) You've gotta be trying to set a record. (Yes, I looked up the latin.)

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
This discussion is pretty pointless since a) most of you guys don't have a clue and b) you argue about diet like it's religion. If you don't want to eat HFCS, fine. Just don't make up some convoluted and spurious reasoning for your decision.

Obviously. So what's the verdict here? Yay or Nay?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Fixed.

By the way, there's a higher percentage of fructose in most fruits than HFCS. Food for thought.

fruits have a lot of dietary fiber that slow absorption of simple carbohydrates. fruit juice however generaly doesn't or has a lot less. i don think there's any one real nutritionist that would advise abstaining from the consumption of fruit (although the atkins diet advises abstaining from it, i think the science behind it is pretty unfounded).

fructose isn't harmful to the body, but I think one study found that HFCS containing soft drinks have a lot more reactive carbonyl species and reactive carbonyl species react with amino acid residues of certain proteins to cause irreversible glycation and the end products that are formed (advanged glycation end products aka AGE) are markers highly correlated with age and hyperglycemia associated diabetes. the studies are far from conclusive, but the fact that there is even some concern is i think a legitimate reason to abstain from consumption of HFCS even if it is somewhat controversial. It's not like abstaining from HFCS has health benefits. It might be good to abstain just to be on the safe side.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
In this thread so far you've managed the following:

argumentum ad hominem
argumentum ad nauseum
argumentum ad consequentiam
argumentum ad naturam
argumentum ad metum
petitio principii
non causa pro causa
guilt by association (is there a latin name for this?)

You've gotta be trying to set a record.

(Yes, I looked up the latin.)

So, you admit that you cannot answer the question.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
So, you admit that you cannot answer the question.

What are the health benefits of dietary carbohydrates?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
What are the health benefits of dietary carbohydrates?

For most of us, very few (if you're talking about simple sugars).

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
For most of us, very few (if you're talking about simple sugars).

Sustenance is a pretty big one.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Sustenance is a pretty big one.

Smarty- Although they all get broken down into glucose, complex carbs are generally better from a direct comsumption standpoint.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Smarty- Although they all get broken down into glucose, complex carbs are generally better from a direct comsumption standpoint.

It's a little more complex than that, but I generally agree.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to stay young, one of the key things you need to do is lower your insulin. HFCS makes you insulin resistant. You don't want this. Just try not to eat a lot of sugar in general. You'll get plenty from normal vegetables and fruits.

If you want to live to be 100, there are two steps 1) wear a nice suit every day 2) lower your insulin.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
If you want to stay young, one of the key things you need to do is lower your insulin.

LOL WUT

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
LOL WUT
Unless it's low enough already of course (most people it isn't). Since you have already achieved optimal health, this does not apply to you.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
LOL WUT

I believe I have read that an early indicator of damage from HFCS is the loss of spelling capability.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Some of you guys need to understand a bit more about the subject before having such brash reactions to industrialized food.

******* unbelievable.

Do yourself a favor and read "In Defense of Food" by Micheal Pollan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads