• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Tie Bars "back"???

Bowruss

Reaction score
Never been out imho.

I prefer a plain gold or silver bar rather than a pin - nothing ostentatious.

One thing - where do people wear them? I mean quite high on the tie or lower down.

I prefer to wear mine high so that it can be seen when the middle button of a 3 button jacket is fastened. I can't see the point of the lower position - it doesn't offer any great improvement in tie restriction and can have the distressing effect of drawing attention to one's corporation..

Russ

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to dig up an oldie, I couldnt find too many threads on tie bars.

Any feedback on this look? I just bought a $12 tie bar at target, simple and nice. The tie is a cheap 50/50, poly/cotton square end tie.

First, the knot seems a little weird with this collar, any recommendations on tying it? The fabric is real thin. Second, is the tie bar too prenetentious with a square end tie if I dont wear a jacket or anything with it? Thanks.

tie2.jpg

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
The guy asked that a year and a half ago, I just bumped the old thread looking for feedback on my look above instead of making a new one. Thanks though.

haha...I usually catch on to the necro thread bumps, but not this time.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any feedback on this look? I just bought a $12 tie bar at target, simple and nice. The tie is a cheap 50/50, poly/cotton square end tie.

First, the knot seems a little weird with this collar, any recommendations on tying it? The fabric is real thin. Second, is the tie bar too prenetentious with a square end tie if I dont wear a jacket or anything with it? Thanks.

- suggest you close teh gap bw tie knot & shirt, move the tie up a fraction so that the tie above teh clip is not too tight.
- I use teh clip to give the tie some life

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- suggest you close teh gap bw tie knot & shirt, move the tie up a fraction so that the tie above teh clip is not too tight.
- I use teh clip to give the tie some life

Any suggestion on what type of knot to use? I just used a simple 4 in hand and think anything else would be dumb looking.

PG - do you ever sport the square end ties (or whatever their name is)? Your thoughts on them?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestion on what type of knot to use? I just used a simple 4 in hand and think anything else would be dumb looking.

PG - do you ever sport the square end ties (or whatever their name is)? Your thoughts on them?

- suggest you start reading the WAYW thread..
smile.gif

- I only use a FIH knot
- & yes I always have a pocket square

rajesh06

Reaction score

tie2.jpg

I am not a fan of bars that are wider than the tie.

Azure

Reaction score
I´m going to buy one because my ties always moves a lot to the right when I walk. Perhaps due to my FIH or to teh fact I *** my back bended
eh.gif

Also When I wash my hands and my mouth, I got my tie inside!!

When I drive my convertible with the top down.. It seems dangerous to have my tie flying around.

By the way, I´ll only use it hidden. I don´l like tie bars seen.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- suggest you start reading the WAYW thread..
smile.gif

- I only use a FIH knot
- & yes I always have a pocket square

No no, i see you have one on today, hence me asking. Im not wearing a jacket or anything, so my questino is: does it look too contrived to wear a tie bar and square end tie together with no jacket?

The second part of the question was on a tie this thin was there a special/secret knot people used? Half Windsor would be a little rediculous, if not totally impossible.

Originally Posted by Azure
I´m going to buy one because my ties always moves a lot to the right when I walk. Perhaps due to my FIH or to teh fact I *** my back bended
eh.gif

Also When I wash my hands and my mouth, I got my tie inside!!

When I drive my convertible with the top down.. It seems dangerous to have my tie flying around.

By the way, I´ll only use it hidden. I don´l like tie bars seen.

I thought you were serious for a second, lol.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I must say I am rather indifferent to tie bars for quite a different reason. Tie bars are rendered redundant by something even more primordially a part of the man's wardrobe: the waistcoat. Men only started to wear tie bars when they started to wear two piece suits. I say bring back the waistcoat and forget tie bars.

princeofsagan1883df1.jpg

If you still want to sport a bit of jewellery get a pocket watch.

Originally Posted by Manton
I disagree. I always wear my tie bar with a vest. It helps maintain the arch of my tie (among other virtues).

The more classical thing is to wear a pin with a waistcoat.

I've never seen a tie bar worn that way. It just doesn't strike me as aesthetically balanced.

Originally Posted by Manton
You can't see it at all, so how to aesthetics come into play?

Aha! you mean you wear it underneath the waistcoat to keep the tie tidy? In that case, that's a new trick to me.

I thought you were saying you have it cut across the waistcoat's V zone, worn in place of a cravat or tie pin:

doublebreasted1906lw5.jpg

This conversation seemed incomplete without any vitriol, so I thought I would add some.

Irv

Reaction score
I used to wear a tie bar when I worked in hospitality and couldn't live without it. Most of the men who worked with me wore them also.... it just saved buying a new tie each day! I liked them for their practical uses rather than the look.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tie2.jpg

Not with square-ended ties. Tread very carefully when the tie bar is as wide as the tie, if it's wider, forget it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads