• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
This is false humility. There is nothing awful about these and they are not real toggle backs.
Whoever talked about humility, or even of these being awful? I love these - they're my favorite cufflinks. I guess whether you want to call them toggle backs or not is semantics to me - they have the same type of articulated toggle mechanism as my other toggle-backed links - but twice, each.

What sins would you like to confess?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Am I the only one who fesses up to the toggle-back preference?

I don't know why toggle-backs are considered to be inferior, frankly.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well technically, they are unfinished on one side. If i am going to wear cufflinks, I much prefer togglebacks.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Sure enough, Costco carries them. I picked a few (packs) up and they are comfortable, plus you don't feel bad about throwing them out.

Limited background colors like navy, charcoal or black in a multi-pack with several small, neat designs on them.

Wait...am I wrong, or is Costco one of those stores where you need a membership to buy stuff?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is false humility. There is nothing awful about these and they are not real toggle backs.

Whoever talked about humility, or even of these being awful? I love these - they're my favorite cufflinks. I guess whether you want to call them toggle backs or not is semantics to me - they have the same type of articulated toggle mechanism as my other toggle-backed links - but twice, each.

Dopey is quite right...those are derivative of an iconic cufflink of Hermès, the mors de filet equestrian motif link:

734870B00.jpg

If you want to go back to ruling this thread, how about one of your improvised 3 roll 2s?

- B

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Wait...am I wrong, or is Costco one of those stores where you need a membership to buy stuff?

- B

It is, except for the purchase of alcohol. Walk in the door, tell them you want to buy alcohol, and they'll let you in without membership.

I will confess my absolute favorite boxers are made by Hollister. They're very well-constructed and slimmer-fitting so as to avoid having to stuff them into your pants. Plus, the elastic band has a fleece lining, which makes them more comfortable than other, more-expensive brands I've tried.

Other thing is my Banana Republic boots. $50 for a pair of chukka-style, pebble-grain leather boots. They fit well and look good to my eyes.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to go back to ruling this thread, how about one of your improvised 3 roll 2s?
First of all, they're not improvised - it's all clearly planned. Secondly, they're not inferior, they're actually an improved incarnation of their former stiff 3 button stance. Nothing to confess there. I know you love that story and can't get it out of your head (na na na) but it's really not that impressive and people used steamers here long before I joined and will continue to do so even though jefferyd has warned them of an impeding implosion-slash-spontaneous combustion of their garment.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dopey is quite right...those are derivative of an iconic cufflink of Hermès, the mors de filet equestrian motif link:

734870B00.jpg

Those look very nice btw (nicer than mine actually) but do they toggle or simply swivel? Mine do toggle (you know, in 90 degrees increments, like... toggle backed links). This is an extremely important detail.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
It is, except for the purchase of alcohol. Walk in the door, tell them you want to buy alcohol, and they'll let you in without membership.

Wait...do people buy things in stores other than alcohol?

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have been enjoying the guilty please of elastic-less boxers.

Boxer braces?

- B

* In before the edit.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
First of all, they're not improvised - it's all clearly planned. Secondly, they're not inferior, they're actually an improved incarnation of their former stiff 3 button stance. Nothing to confess there.

Fiendish reasoning. You are a man with whom to be reckoned in small claims court.

I know you love that story and can't get it out of your head (na na na) but it's really not that impressive and people used steamers here long before I joined and will continue to do so even though jefferyd has warned them of an impeding implosion-slash-spontaneous combustion of their garment.

How will you face all the guys in pith helmets, though, who will be chuckling that your top buttonhole is now finished on the wrong side?

Eh, wot?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads