• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that you know are "inferior" but still prefer

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Hmm:

Uniqlo for tees, socks, underwear

white tennis shoes with everything

designer over more trad makers and bespoke

poplin over anything else for dress shirts

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nordicstyle;1762815 said:
Why would anyone wear over-the-calf wool socks, unless they are planning to walk around in snow or something?[/QUOT

You do know that wool is one of the best choices in summer... oh wait... sounds like you don't.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
My alternative to my double-sided links are my silver knots. I hate toggle, and refuse to wear them, but the double-sided are often too much of a pain to both get on and take off. Hence, although I rarely were French cuffs, my silver knots are what I typically wear.

My double-sin and incidentally favorite cufflinks are... double toggled links! Very pretty and so easy to put on.

acd1cd55.jpg

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The kind of things that purists would burn you alive for. An example would be preferring quartz watches to a mechanical movements.

My own ungodly preferences:
  • toggle-back cufflinks: I'm sorry but I never pick up my non-toggle cufflinks in the morning. I despise the bastards. THey take forever to put on, especially after a short night of sleep. I know I'm wrong... but I just prefer an easy toggle-back cufflink any day

• I'll fess up to the toggle backs. So much easier to use. I'll also admit to keeping my shirts on the wire hangers from the cleaners. And I have two mechanical watches and one quartz and have to say I favor the quartz. While purists might burn me alive, I'm not sure this last one qualifies as preferring an "inferior," since the quartz keeps better time than my mechanicals.

And now for the gravest sin of all: I have a 3-button notch lapel tuxedo and like it. (For shame, for shame! Are the shades of Styleforum to be thus polluted?)

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
J Crew chinos.

Fly front formal shirt.

Fixed back cufflinks (guess those aren't as bad as toggle backed).

And what's wrong with white tennis shoes? Stan Smiths, Lavers, and Superstars are all classics in white.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You do know that wool is one of the best choices in summer... oh wait... sounds like you don't.

I'm not sure that's entirely true, when cycling to work my wool socks are definitely much hotter than my cotton ones, way too hot in the summer...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
This is becoming a confessional!

All those that own Crocs say Aye.

Aye
blush.gif

Were they a gift? Do you wear them?? Do you look forward to wearing them??? (Styleforum Inquisition)

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Aye
blush.gif

Aye. I just wear them as slippers around the house and I know I'm not the only one. For this purpose, they're going on four years, so have easily outlasted any slippers I've owned. They never, ever, get past the front door however.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I thought that its main purpose was to serve as a form of birth control?
confused.gif

- B

That's what crocs are for. I want my daughter to wear them until the day she gets married because NOBODY wearing crocs is getting laid.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
That's what crocs are for. I want my daughter to wear them until the day she gets married because NOBODY wearing crocs is getting laid.

Except for two fat lesbians.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
Aye. I just wear them as slippers around the house and I know I'm not the only one. For this purpose, they're going on four years, so have easily outlasted any slippers I've owned. They never, ever, get past the front door however.

Character is what you do when no one else is looking.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Am I the only one who fesses up to the toggle-back preference?

Go get yourself some snap cufflinks from ebay or a vintage store. Easier to put on than toggle backs, and have the purists approval for having the same face on both sides.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh - and I love my Rainbow sandals. I wear them quite a bit on the weekends in the summer.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Go get yourself some snap cufflinks from ebay or a vintage store. Easier to put on than toggle backs, and have the purists approval for having the same face on both sides.

Sounds intriguing - I'm desperately seeking purist approval. Don't you need to get each side snug and secure in the button holes? I can't really see how that could ever be easier than toggle backs...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads