• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are laptops so bling these days?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're bling these days because a company decided that computers should no longer be appliances you use to only accomplish tasks, but they should also be your best friend and a fashion accessory, so they started to push colored cases:

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by delayedReaction
I have the XPS 1530 in 1900x1200 since I have the same general need for a higher resolution screen; otherwise I'd go the next step down. You can set the UI scaling to 120% so the icons and text aren't microscopic.

I'm doing this now on my 24" to test it out under vista. Everything is now bigger, so it makes me wonder what the point is. The only thing that really benefits are Blue-ray movies. How cool is it btw? Did you get a SSD drive or a 7200rpm?

Originally Posted by Brian SD
I prefer higher resolution screens - more space for illustrator and indesign windows is always better.

However, 1900x1200 is just too big for me on a 15" screen. There's a balance to be struck in terms of what a 12-point font is going to look like on screen and how its going to look on paper, and in terms of web-design, I like to have a reasonable idea about what my work is going to look like for other people. On my last MBP 15" I replaced the 1440x900 screen with a 1900x1200, but on this one I'm not going to do so. It was more of a hassle than a benefit.

Ya... I'm starting to question whether I should. What would you think about that resolution on a 16.4" or 17" monitor? Still too small? Keep in mind I'll need to sit in front of this thing for 8+ hours a day at times. I'd kinda prefer to go with a 15 even though this computer is really a desktop replacement for me while i'm travelling and if/when I move.

Originally Posted by m@T
you referenced this a bit earlier, but why would you want that? Everything would be so so tiny....

multiple code/putty windows. It's incredibly useful to be able to have lots of screen for the visual studio ui. Having said that, my monitors at work are 1680x1050 and I get by. 1440x900 is beginning to suck.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
They're bling these days because a company decided that computers should no longer be appliances you use to only accomplish tasks, but they should also be your best friend and a fashion accessory, so they started to push colored cases:

those look very good compared to some of the stuff I saw yesterday.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
those look very good compared to some of the stuff I saw yesterday.

Like this stuff?

13-inch-apple-laptop-cover--2d-flower-design-cover.jpg

gelaskins2.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What 1800 CDN gets you.

IntelÂ
00ae.png
Core™ 2 Duo T6600 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows VistaÂ
00ae.png
Home Premium Edition SP1
Tuxedo Black
High Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LED LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 M
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
Ultra Performance: 128GB Solid State Drive
256MB NVIDIAÂ
00ae.png
GeForceÂ
00ae.png
8600M GT
Slot Load Blu-ray Disc (BD/DVD/CD read/write)
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Dell Bluetooth Travel mouse
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0+Enhanced Data Rate)
High Definition Audio 2.0

Looking at thinkpads too. Price starts off the same, but lenovo charges $590 for the 128GB SSD drive and dell charges $170 for that upgrade. Hell, dell charges $420 for the new 256GB SSD drive. Sick pricing. Still debating on whether to get a 1920x1200 or 1440x900.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only and will only use Lenovo T61s (or the new T400/T500)

Why go anywhere else?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I've never given the slightest consideration to the aesthetics of a lap-top computer. Mine is covered in stickers, anyhow.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Ya... I'm starting to question whether I should. What would you think about that resolution on a 16.4" or 17" monitor? Still too small? Keep in mind I'll need to sit in front of this thing for 8+ hours a day at times. I'd kinda prefer to go with a 15 even though this computer is really a desktop replacement for me while i'm travelling and if/when I move.

On a 17" monitor 1900x1200 is fine, in my experience. It's an issue of practicality for me. You could always spring for the 1900x1200 and then knock it down a notch if you don't like it.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS with the 13" monitor. It's more computer than I need. No SSD but I do have a 7200RPM HD and it's great.

I also have Vista Ultimate on the XPS. I notice a big difference between the XPS with Vista Ultimate and an HP laptop I have with a 17" monitor ( a heavy desktop replacement ) that has Vista Home Premium.

I think Ultimate is a worthwhile upgrade over Vista Home Premium for most users. I was really "challenged" by Vista for a while but it's gotten better. You are a computer guy and probably won't have many if any problems but for an average user like me Ultimate helps I think.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
To be honest, I've never given the slightest consideration to the aesthetics of a lap-top computer. Mine is covered in stickers, anyhow.

If you don't give any consideration to how it looks, why would you put stickers on it?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
If you don't give any consideration to how it looks, why would you put stickers on it?

Maybe he means he doesn't care if it looks like ****, covered in stickers.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I dunno, I always think people with stickers on their laptops look like theyre trying pretty hard to be anti.

stvnr

Reaction score
I'm running 1920x1080 on a 23" monitor and can't imagine running it on a 15" laptop. I'm in front of my screen all day so I think that's a factor.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a Sony Vaio Z. It has a 13.1" screen with a whopping 1600x900 resolution! The design is extremely classy, it has great power, fantastic battery life and weighs only 3.5 lbs. It is also made in the USA.

z_series_top.jpg
battery_bkg.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads