• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The no high-fructose corn syrup diet...

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yuck

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
I have never made pasta sauce or bread that involved sugar.

What do you use? Some recipes use honey, but that's basically just sugar.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
What do you use? Some recipes use honey, but that's basically just sugar.

Bingo.

I don't add sugar to all my pasta sauces, but when I make tomato-based sauces sometimes I need to add some if I have to add paste or any other tomato puree. I usually use whole canned tomatoes and cook with wine so the sugar is unnecessary.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HFCS is not responsible for obesity as plenty of armchair Internet scientists claim it is. Americans are eating more calories than they were 30 years ago. The only thing bad about HFCS is that it is directly absorbed and thus, like anything else, can be bad for you if consumed in excess. I try not to eat it but it's not like I feel bad if I have some ketchup or jam. The aspartame hate is another
tinfoil.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toss MSG in there as well.

jellywerker

Reaction score
It is actually kind of nice in sports drinks because the calories hit you very quickly. In general though I try to avoid unnecessary amounts of the stuff as part of avoiding too much sugar.

Also, I've never used sugar in my red sauce, but I prefer more bitter tasting red sauces than many.

Kev07

Reaction score
i think its more about staying away from sugar when you dont need it (ie if you're not about to go play a sport or something) than hfcs itself

rxcats

Reaction score
I avoid products made with HFCS. I also try to limit my intake of simple carbohydrates in general as I have a tendency to put on weight in my middle-age years. I TOTALLY avoid transfats; I simply will not eat anything that has transfats listed as an ingredient. If I accidentally buy something with transfats, I throw it out!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to understand a bit more about the subject before having such brash reactions to industrialized food.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally avoid all sources of sugar

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After drinking a soda, I can actually feel the inflammation in my skin. I read labels and don't buy anything with HFCS in it. However, I do still take a few sips of Mountain Dew a week just to make life worth living. About two sips then throw the rest away. Gotta rebel against rebellion even sometimes.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
HFCS is not responsible for obesity as plenty of armchair Internet scientists claim it is. Americans are eating more calories than they were 30 years ago. The only thing bad about HFCS is that it is directly absorbed and thus, like anything else, can be bad for you if consumed in excess.

I try not to eat it but it's not like I feel bad if I have some ketchup or jam.

The aspartame hate is another
tinfoil.gif

This from the guy who's afraid of salt?
confused.gif

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
HFCS is not responsible for obesity as plenty of armchair Internet scientists claim it is. Americans are eating more calories than they were 30 years ago.

The low cost of HFCS is a reason that your second claim is true. If Cokes were $2 a can, Americans would consume fewer calories and be less obese.

Calories shouldn't be that cheap or enter the population in such large numbers in that form.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the consumer's fault for consuming the HFCS. If people truly thought it was awful, they wouldn't buy it and the market would take care of the rest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads