• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are laptops so bling these days?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went in to futureshop yesterday (very few people) to take a look at laptops from various brands and I couldn't believe how tacky laptops have become over the last couple of years since I purchased my last one. I see trackpads with mirrored surfaces and "chrome" mouse buttons. Everything is glossy plastic. The worst offenders even had colored translucent plastic. They are all way over-designed. It's no wonder that macbooks are so popular. The MBP's are really nice. I need to take a look at the 16" Sony with magnesium casing and Dell XPS before I make a decision though. The Dell is certainly the best value, and the only company that offers a 1900x1200 screen on a 15" notebook.

jellywerker

Reaction score
Because not everyone has taste, and appealing to the lowest common denominator tends to make the most money.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I felt the same way and settled on the XPS for this reason. A matte black and brushed metal for the low key win IMO (and also has the consumer warranty product I ever buy and have been happy I do).

iVoRy

Reaction score
what about dell latitude? i'm happy with my Latitude D630

Pylon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iVoRy
what about dell latitude? i'm happy with my Latitude D630

I guess that Dell cuts it if you like "chunky" design....

I use PC's and Macs both, so I'm trying not to play into the epic Mac vs. PC debate, but the MacBooks I've recently bought show a lot of thought in the design. Rounded edges, material selection, even the placement of certain things and the printing of the name and keys. Everything follows a consistent design style and ethic; it's easy on the eyes, blends in with the decor wherever it is and it's not too rough on the eyes.

The PCs I own seem like they look like they do because that's what's functional; like an engineer designed the case, placement of pieces, material selection, etc. instead of an artist.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I felt the same way and settled on the XPS for this reason. A matte black and brushed metal for the low key win IMO (and also has the consumer warranty product I ever buy and have been happy I do).

What resolution screen did you get on the XPS? I'm used to high resolution, but i'm wondering if 1900x1200 on a 15.4" won't result in everything being just too small for comfortable use over extended periods of time. I do actually need the resolution for work so that i can compare things side-by-side. I'm specifically looking at the Dell XPS M1530, which seems to have the best fit & finish, as well as great options. Sony has a 16" with the reso I need, but overall it's not as powerful as a similarly priced dell. A 128GB SSD is a $200 upgrade on an XPS which is totally awesome.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pylon
I guess that Dell cuts it if you like "chunky" design....

I use PC's and Macs both, so I'm trying not to play into the epic Mac vs. PC debate, but the MacBooks I've recently bought show a lot of thought in the design. Rounded edges, material selection, even the placement of certain things and the printing of the name and keys. Everything follows a consistent design style and ethic; it's easy on the eyes, blends in with the decor wherever it is and it's not too rough on the eyes.

The PCs I own seem like they look like they do because that's what's functional; like an engineer designed the case, placement of pieces, material selection, etc. instead of an artist.

The Macs really are pretty. However, I use linux and windows and a MBP will cost me like $1000 more than an identically configured Dell XPS. It's a large difference.

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The Macs really are pretty. However, I use linux and windows and a MBP will cost me like $1000 more than an identically configured Dell XPS. It's a large difference.

This is also what puts me off Macs, you're paying a ton of money for a nice wrapper.

Lenovo (formerly IBM) make decent, plain-ass laptops for people who don't want to take a bedazzler to their computer. They're built like a brick too (metal hinges, replaceable parts, etc) whereas every Dell I've had fell apart after a year or two of heavy use.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 lenovo makes some seriously quality laptops, I've have one thats about 3 years old and its still going strong. The thing that I like best is that they've got really great ventilation on em so they don't overheat and melt **** like other laptops do after a full day of use.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lenovo is great. I love my Asus; brushed steel and black plastic. Very simple (but it does run loud & hot):
AsusW3J14.jpg
3031-0108.jpg
http://www.**.xinhuanet.com/bjpd-wq/2006-08/01/xin_32080301143529681248.jpg

delayedReaction

Reaction score
What resolution screen did you get on the XPS? I'm used to high resolution, but i'm wondering if 1900x1200 on a 15.4" won't result in everything being just too small for comfortable use over extended periods of time. I do actually need the resolution for work so that i can compare things side-by-side. I'm specifically looking at the Dell XPS M1530, which seems to have the best fit & finish, as well as great options. Sony has a 16" with the reso I need, but overall it's not as powerful as a similarly priced dell. A 128GB SSD is a $200 upgrade on an XPS which is totally awesome.

I have the XPS 1530 in 1900x1200 since I have the same general need for a higher resolution screen; otherwise I'd go the next step down. You can set the UI scaling to 120% so the icons and text aren't microscopic.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asus, MSI, Fujitsu all have some plain ass lookin laptops or at least offer them with more a subtle brushed look, and all are very solid. I also suggest Lenovo if you like the brick style. Best laptop I have ever owned was a Fujitsu. Thing was damn near indestructible, had a magnesium case and even after dropping it on pavement when it was running it took no damage at all.

Oh and Panasonic lappys are pretty sexy too.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I prefer higher resolution screens - more space for illustrator and indesign windows is always better.

However, 1900x1200 is just too big for me on a 15" screen. There's a balance to be struck in terms of what a 12-point font is going to look like on screen and how its going to look on paper, and in terms of web-design, I like to have a reasonable idea about what my work is going to look like for other people. On my last MBP 15" I replaced the 1440x900 screen with a 1900x1200, but on this one I'm not going to do so. It was more of a hassle than a benefit.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Dell is...the only company that offers a 1900x1200 screen on a 15" notebook.
you referenced this a bit earlier, but why would you want that? Everything would be so so tiny....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads