• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Merde.

Nice job f*cking up my little thread, Trini.

You're going on my **** list.

What, does it feel unfair?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
So, does anyone in this thread simply wear clothing because they like the way it looks on them or is that just for the simpletons like me
confused.gif

They're clothes; you wear them..

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, does anyone in this thread simply wear clothing because they like the way it looks on them or is that just for the simpletons like me
Yes- and they get their ass handed to them by assorted rubes all the time.
laugh.gif

Note the sig:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Actually, it was more FNB v. the proles who try to dress above their station.

He said it was mostly your fault though.

nest.gif
stirpot.gif
peepwall[1].gif
lurker[1].gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
WTF happened to this thread? I thought it was some usless digest of passable pictures. Did it end up being all about Manton vs FNC again?
confused.gif

Reading StyleForum is like being at a NHL game. How, you ask? Well, you're watching the game, it gains momentum, you're getting into it and then a fight breaks out. Some are energized by the fight some think it is an unnecessary interruption to the game.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
All right, I am sorry, really, truly sorry. But give me credit. For every 50 whacks he takes at me with his stick, I only hit him back one or two times.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thread's really gone downhill since 6:00pm.
I will amplify [Despos'] point by suggesting that the AA illustrations also capture a time when men aspired to a life led as a concatenation of social occasions. This American aspiration was definitely one of American class. Today, however, the class that was the object of aspiration in America is dissapated, diminished, and irrelevant. Just because descendents live does not mean that class survives. And without that class, the underlying form of life to which the AA illustrations reach loses quite a lot of punch. The only thing that really makes the privileged class distinct is the encultured assumption of superiority which, if life does its job, gets broken by reality. And reality has broken it completely as far as I can see...
I have to unpack this and re-pack it a bit: The upper class is defined by "encultured assumptions of superiority": ok, perhaps admirable, at best something along the lines of Jefferson's natural aristocracy. The "class that was the object of aspiration in America is dissipated, diminished, and irrelevant": I'll take that as an observation. Now for the repacking: American class was at least partly defined by aspiration, and that aspiration was to a "life led as a concatenation of social events". As opposed to a life led as a series of work days? The function of the upper class is to produce wonderful clothing fit for interesting social events? I'd hope that the function of an upper class would be finish the program of the Enlightenment, save the world, and by the way have good parties that they can enjoy looking good at. Just saying. Oh, and I'm reposting this because a) it's been many pages without a picture, the General not counting, b) I can't imagine wearing it myself, and c) I really like it.
DSC00495.jpg

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you know what? I was the youngest guy there by twenty years, and I am not a young man.

Well, isn't it their fault for not inviting the Film Noir Buffs, mafoofans, and Mantons of the world, instead of just the Vox Sartorii (of whom there are few left who want to go, I presume)?

Biscione

Reaction score
A illustrations have always struck me as great cultural documentation. To me they're more interesting from that perspective than they are as showing clothing (because a great deal of the depicted clothing probably wouldn't look half as good in reality).

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
All right, I am sorry, really, truly sorry. But give me credit. For every 50 whacks he takes at me with his stick, I only hit him back one or two times.

You sound like Lizzie Borden's mom.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
The upper class is defined by "encultured assumptions of superiority": ok, perhaps admirable, at best something along the lines of Jefferson's natural aristocracy. The "class that was the object of aspiration in America is dissipated, diminished, and irrelevant": I'll take that as an observation.

Jefferson and you are talking about a different group of people than am I, although there might be a slight overlap in the best cases.

- B

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

- I do..

Originally Posted by Despos
Reading StyleForum is like being at a NHL game. How, you ask? Well, you're watching the game, it gains momentum, you're getting into it and then a fight breaks out. Some are energized by the fight some think it is an unnecessary interruption to the game.
- ROFL
rimshot.gif

- FWIW I'm in your corner.. Sponge? Water? Swab?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Well, isn't it their fault for not inviting the Film Noir Buffs, mafoofans, and Mantons of the world, instead of just the Vox Sartorii (of whom there are few left who want to go, I presume)?

I do not know enough about FNB's background to say anything, but I think that I know enough about Manton and mafoofan to say that each represent one type of social force...meritocracy... that has helped to speed the old forms to oblivion. I can mourne the passing of social grace, manners and dress without the delusion that they were the superficial but confident expression of inequality, racism, and class domination. Those dark aspects of society persist with vigor, but what has changed is the confidence in expressing them. Lest we veer into CESSpool territory, I will stop there on that subject.

As for the social event that I attended, it's not only that there are fewer who wish to attend, there are fewer men, period. That is something that happens with a birthrate that is insufficient for replication.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads