• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which is a better city: Chicago or New York?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samantha360
I love NY! I've herd great things about Chicago but never been there. But I've lived in NYC and the crime isn't as bad as people say and their is always something to do.

Work to pay rent?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my time spent in both cities, I can honestly say that they are both nice to visit. I can't say that I'd want to live in either city for any extended period of time. I think 2 years is probably my limit.

Domindart

Reaction score
I am interested in NY. I like the culture there. From what Ive seen in pictures and tv. And I want to move somewhere I can pursue my arts (visual arts or maybe entertainment). And have places to go at odd hours .

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to choose?? As a visitor to both NYC and Chicago I love them both for different reasons.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I spent nearly 40 years of my life living and playing around Chi town. You can keep New York, It's over rated all the way. Anyway Chicago pizza is way better than NY's hands down so there. LOL.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
I spent nearly 40 years of my life living and playing around Chi town. You can keep New York, It's over rated all the way. Anyway Chicago pizza is way better than NY's hands down so there. LOL.

laugh.gif
You're a master of sarcasm and irony. Wait....
eh.gif

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spent a good amount of time in both and I'd give the edge to Chicago. Even being familiar with NY I always feel a little suffocated by the cost of living there. From rent to drinks to transportation, I get overwhelmed with how much it costs just to subsist there.

Unlike Dallas or Atlanta, Chicago still feels like a big city (public transportation, shopping, restaurants) but doesn't cost as much as NY. NY clearly has more to offer but I don't know if it justifies the difference in cost.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in Chicago for business and I really like the city. I like the pace of Chicago, especially when the weather is good. I'm not sure affordability is a great winning point though - I never really felt that things were that much cheaper there for comparable service/quality/etc...

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I spend a lot of time in Chicago for business and I really like the city. I like the pace of Chicago, especially when the weather is good. I'm not sure affordability is a great winning point though - I never really felt that things were that much cheaper there for comparable service/quality/etc...
Really? Maybe its just in my head but I feel like everything is cheaper in Chicago and my friends who have moved there from NY seem to feel the same way. Hell my 23 y/o buddy bought a roomy 2 bedroom condo in the west loop and walks in to work when the weather is good. That would be unthinkable in NY.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't find Chicago to be cheaper, either. Sales tax alone, especially in the Michigan Avenue area, runs higher than NYC.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
Really? Maybe its just in my head but I feel like everything is cheaper in Chicago and my friends who have moved there from NY seem to feel the same way. Hell my 23 y/o buddy bought a roomy 2 bedroom condo in the west loop and walks in to work when the weather is good. That would be unthinkable in NY.

No, I think you may be right on property and rents (although I'd say that people in NYC tend to obsess about certain Manhattan neighborhoods only, while there is a lot of affordable housing if you're willing to be just a few subway stops further). I am only referring to the costs I see there when I visit fors several days at a time and consume comparable things as I would in NYC (meals, drinks, cabs, etc...).

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless money was no object, your lifestyle will be a lot more comfortable in Chicago. You can live pretty comfy on a 100K budget, while in NYC that would be pretty damn tough.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought Chicago was very nice when I visited. I'd rather live in NYC, but I don't think I'd be unhappy in Chicago.

Then again, that winter weather is awful. I'm used to it as a Northeaster, but still...brrr.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
You can live pretty comfy on a 100K budget, while in NYC that would be pretty damn tough.
lurker[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads