• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Voxsartoria's Weekly WAYWRN Subjective and Totally Unfair Digest

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It is probably 1/2" too long but it's at least a foot from my knees.

???

How tall are you? A foot is a lot of room!

p1050613ou6.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The jacket is a bit long for my taste, almost reaches his knees.

Foof almost reaches Manton's knees, so extrapolate from there.

- B

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Def looks like a Raphael to me - something about his cut just stands out. Manton - am I right?

Also, is this what you'd classify as one of your 'draped' jackets? I think this is quite clean, and most of my Raphael stuff is like this.

ET

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Def looks like a Raphael to me - something about his cut just stands out. Manton - am I right?

Also, is this what you'd classify as one of your 'draped' jackets? I think this is quite clean, and most of my Raphael stuff is like this.

ET

Shattuck.

- B

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Shattuck.

- B

Thanks. Looks very similar to my Raphaels - everything from the gorge/lapel width to the coat being a bit on the longer side.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Looks much better than those draped Roman Togas.

My point exactly - it doesn't look draped to my eye. Or perhaps, I'm more advanced than I thought and have been wearing draped suits all along.
smile.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p1050613ou6.jpg
There's some nice shape to that coat. I don't think it's too long, seems nicely balanced to my eye, 1/2" wouldn't make that much difference, I doubt you'd you'd even notice it. Material looks flannel(ish) from the photo. You could've been a little more adventurous with the tie though...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mantoni was taking his coloration cues from the Agnelli photographs that I posted the week that Time Warner released their LIFE archive through Google.

- B

Maybe, I've always thought Agnelli to be a bit overrated as a dresser. Every time I look at a picture of him I just don't see anything outstanding at all. I don't understand why he's such a darling to some on the fora...

mikemas22

Reaction score
I feel that real HL from that period has staying power that eludes most designers. The stuff was classic but not through mere recapitulation.

Do you still have things by him left in your wardrobe? Dry cleaning has killed most of mine.

- B

Hmmm, I have these: bought in 2002 or 2003. But I don't see their staying power. Haven't worn them for ages.

DSC00222.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Maybe, I've always thought Agnelli to be a bit overrated as a dresser. Every time I look at a picture of him I just don't see anything outstanding at all. I don't understand why he's such a darling to some on the fora...

Oh, come now, G: Agnelli's reputation for elegance predates the Internet.

If we exclude him as an inspiration for dressing well, we are left with standards that might be impossible to apply in the real world.

Is part of your point that Agnelli was helped along considerably by being so handsome and living as a conspicuous man of wealth, lending a bit of aura to his clothes rather than drawing from them? I think that there is a bit of truth to that.

But, that is as it should be, don't you think? The man wearing the clothes and not the other way around.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikemas22
Hmmm, I have these: bought in 2002 or 2003. But I don't see their staying power. Haven't worn them for ages.

DSC00222.jpg

Hah!

Well, the key to an item's stylistic persistence and relevance over time could be tied to the aesthetics governing the initial choice...

- B

mikemas22

Reaction score
Hah! Well, the key to an item's stylistic persistence and relevance over time could be tied to the aesthetics governing the initial choice... - B
Oh, these were my pre SF days
worship.gif
Plus I was like 18 at that time I'll try to wear them this summer, though. I'll post pics
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads