• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear during Vegas trip?

Real estate

Reaction score
I'm going to Vegas in mid-April for the first time and then driving to Los Angelas. What outfits do you suggest I wear that will also be appropriate for the weather? I don't really own any summer clothes as I'm from Vancouver, Canada and usually just wear jeans and a collared shirt or v-neck sweater. Keep in mind I will also need some practical shoes I can walk in for long periods of time but also look great in as well. Please list some outfit recommendations or post some pics.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got the mochachino face, beautiful skin, and the big broad shoulders, OK? Let's put a dead animal on you. Croc-skin... buttercream... buttercream... croc-skin... buttercream...What size is the waist? Let's go in!
rush_hour_2.jpg

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think something with wide lapels. Vegas often seems stuck in the seventies to me - at least in terms of aesthetics and design. Maybe try a Tom Ford suit?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This classic post is all you need:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...=vegas+iammatt

According to no less an authority than iammatt: "the combinations are great."
devil.gif

And here's FNB: "Your looks are terrific, I especially like the the first and last ones. The hotties mustve been digging you"
devil.gif

Eccentric

Reaction score
One of the best things, in my opinion, about Vegas is that you will very rarely look out of place based on your manner of dress. Unless you like to frequent only the most upscale areas of Vegas, you can wear whatever you want and be fine.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Real estate
and usually just wear jeans and a collared shirt or v-neck sweater. Keep in mind I will also need some practical shoes I can walk in for long periods of time but also look great in as well.

The way you already dress is light years better than 90% of the people in Vegas dress. Keep in mind that most people are tourists from the midwest or people in town for a convention.

Whenever I go to Vegas when it's hot, I'm wearing dark jeans w/ loafers and an untucked BD with the sleeves rolled up. If it's cold, then same dark jeans w/ loafers, tucked in BD, along with a V-Neck and/or sport coat.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
This classic post is all you need:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...=vegas+iammatt

According to no less an authority than iammatt: "the combinations are great."
devil.gif

And here's FNB: "Your looks are terrific, I especially like the the first and last ones. The hotties mustve been digging you"
devil.gif

wow....not at the OP's fits, but at the individuals that responded and how they responded
blush.gif

Real estate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
The way you already dress is light years better than 90% of the people in Vegas dress. Keep in mind that most people are tourists from the midwest or people in town for a convention.

Whenever I go to Vegas when it's hot, I'm wearing dark jeans w/ loafers and an untucked BD with the sleeves rolled up. If it's cold, then same dark jeans w/ loafers, tucked in BD, along with a V-Neck and/or sport coat.

That's more or less how I dress everyday for Canadian climate as I'm a university student. I was thinking of just wearing my everyday style, but I can't do the loafers/dress shoes all day and my other shoes are nike shox which wont fit with the jeans and BD. I usually never wear shorts, but I might get a couple pairs for this. I guess my questions are what style/color shorts do I wear and what kind of shirts and shoes would go with a pair of shorts? and What kind of shoes can be worn with jeans and button down/v-neck t-shirt that aren't loafers?

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's more or less how I dress everyday for Canadian climate as I'm a university student. I was thinking of just wearing my everyday style, but I can't do the loafers/dress shoes all day and my other shoes are nike shox which wont fit with the jeans and BD. I usually never wear shorts, but I might get a couple pairs for this. I guess my questions are what style/color shorts do I wear and what kind of shirts and shoes would go with a pair of shorts? and What kind of shoes can be worn with jeans and button down/v-neck t-shirt that aren't loafers?

Shoes that go with shorts AND jeans/BDs = boat shoes. I wear boat shoes just about every day of the spring/summer/fall....including trips to Vegas.

_5767410.jpg

Real estate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Shoes that go with shorts AND jeans/BDs = boat shoes. I wear boat shoes just about every day of the spring/summer/fall....including trips to Vegas.

What brands do you recommend and are their any certain attributes that I should be aware of (ie round toes, certain materials, colors etc)?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Without that belt, it didnt happen...

elvis_pants.jpg

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brands do you recommend and are their any certain attributes that I should be aware of (ie round toes, certain materials, colors etc)?

Sperry Topsiders are generally considered the standard when it comes to boat shoes.

There's a fine line between looking like an old man and looking stylish when wearing boat shoes., so be careful. Mine are blue leather (very similar to the one I posted above).

Not sure if the store exists in Canada, but Nordstrom is a good source for boat shoes.

Depending on how much you're willing to spend, the Sperry x Band of Outsider boat shoes are pretty cool...

boo-sperry.png

Doc4

Reaction score
I went to Vegas a couple years ago, and was dismayed at how sloppily dressed everyone was. I had images of Rat Packs and Mobster-flick suits and cocktail dresses ... and was hoping for a modicum of that influencing the chinos and short-sleeved shirts ... nah, just shorts, t-shirts and crocs. Blech.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mid-april is still not going to be really hot weather. might start getting into the 70s and 80s.....if you're walking the strip, be very comfortable. keep in mind there's a lot of walking and you don't want to break new shoes in there. blisters, loose gravel, unsightly midwesterners stepping on your feet, dirty cabs, etc.

In vegas, its pretty acceptable to kind of dress a little more bold than usually, at night time in particular. I keep it simple...shorts and a polo during the day, jeans and buttonups at night when I go hit the town...a blazer if its cold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads