• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which is a better city: Chicago or New York?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I'll totally agree with this statement.

Also, I didn't mean to say Chicago's food was that much worse--- I had just expected everyone on here to point out how there were higher end restaurants in NYC (this is style forum after all)

Gotcha, my mistake then.
cheers.gif

I'll be honest, last time I was in Chicago I skipped the real high end dining and went to Blackbird and it was great
There are some really great "second" tier places here. Blackbird, Avec, otom, mk, Schwa, the list goes on. It's a great place to be if you're a foodie.

maufic

Reaction score
Lived in NYC for three years. I thought it was overrated.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't Chicago in the midwest? That automatically disqualifies it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Isn't Chicago in the midwest? That automatically disqualifies it.

That's not fair. It would be like saying that NYC is automatically disqualified because it is next to NJ

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's not fair. It would be like saying that NYC is automatically disqualified because it is next to NJ
laugh.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see it this way - who is better, kwiw or connie? we have kwik, you have connie. you decide!

upstarter

Reaction score
I lived in Chicago (Wicker Park) for a summer 2 years ago and commuted to the burbs. Being from LA:

1) Weather was HORRIBLE.

2) Food was dissapointing. It seemed like all there was to eat was hot dogs, italian beef sandwiches, and pizza. Rinse and repeat. If you wanted to find something else worth forking money over for, you had to search really hard.

3) Ran into many expats from LA. They all said they liked Chicago a lot for various reasons. However, almost everyone said that the winters are brutal and that everyone turns into an alcoholic. I asked one guy in particular "what do you mean? people drink everywhere." He shook his head and said not like here, b/c "all there is to do in the winter is go to the bar and numb the cold away with booze. It's actually disgusting after you realize how severe the problem is here."

I didn't have a chance to experience this, but if anyone else wants to comment, feel free. I, overall though, enjoyed Chicago a lot. Suburbs were absolutely TERRIBLE thouugh, but I guess that doesn't factor into this discussion. Women were cute, though not like LA and I'm sure not like NYC (I haven't been).

mr. magoo

Reaction score
Lived in NYC for a long time, have only ever visited Chicago.

Chicago is a good city, and much livelier than I expected. Ate at Blackbird, which was a passable restaurant, though one can eat better in Brooklyn IMO.

That being said, Chicago really isn't in the same league. (The question reminds me of people from Minneapolis talking about how the Twin Cities are, in fact, better than Chicago -- wholly laughable from a Chicagoan perspective, isn't it?)

I can't believe that people aren't talking about style of the cities on styleforum. I get the feeling that people don't really "dress" in Chicago the way they do in New York. Leaving aside the superior shopping in New York, which should be obvious, one can dress however they want and there will be someone to appreciate it in NYC. I remember other clothing threads with photos of pretty cool or even crazy outfits, and people from Chicago saying "well you'd get made fun of around here for wearing that." In this sense, NYC is a better clothing city and a better style city. One can go to a meeting in head-to-toe bespoke or full-on Italian Brioni and no one would bat an eye, except perhaps compliment them.

New Yorkers are provincial in that they believe they live at the center of the universe so there's no reason to learn about anywhere else. Chicagoans are provincial in that they say to themselves "my that's a little diff-ernt".

I'd rather the former.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah right, that's why NYC always tries to claim that parts of Jersey are in NY. I was watching the American Idol the other day when they claimed to be in NYC. They were not. They were in NJ. Same thing with that Live Aid concert (or whatever it was called) - Live Aid NY? I don't think so. That **** was in NJ.

Superbowl champion NY Giants? Not quite. More like the NJ giants. Pretty much anything good to come out of NYC is actually from New Jersey. So count your blessings bitches.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah right, that's why NYC always tries to claim that parts of Jersey are in NY. I was watching the American Idol the other day when they claimed to be in NYC. They were not. They were in NJ. Same thing with that Live Aid concert (or whatever it was called) - Live Aid NY? I don't think so. That **** was in NJ.

Superbowl champion NY Giants? Not quite. More like the NJ giants. Pretty much anything good to come out of NYC is actually from New Jersey. So count your blessings bitches.

They brand it as such so as to not turn people off. I thought it was pretty obvious. Basic marketing.

wink.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They brand it as such so as to not turn people off. I thought it was pretty obvious. Basic marketing.

wink.gif

Face it, you need us more than we need you.
smile.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Face it, you need us more than we need you.
smile.gif

Yes.
smile.gif
Did you hear that maple syrup smell story the other day btw? I thought it was a nice comeback from NJ to counter the stinky reputation
cheers.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes.
smile.gif
Did you hear that maple syrup smell story the other day btw? I thought it was a nice comeback from NJ to counter the stinky reputation
cheers.gif

Haha, that was as surprising as when I learned that NJ is the second largest producer of eggplant in the US (behind Florida). Didn't know we planted **** here.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only in NYC can the whole city smell like breakfast for a few hours
laugh.gif

I'm a huge eggplant fan so NJ gets points for that

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads