• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which is a better city: Chicago or New York?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, it's called Second City for a reason.

A great city, but clearly second.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Chicago? Which exit is that?

You know the answer
smile.gif

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago is the WORLDS best city from about April-September. In the other months it could possibly be the most depressing city in the world.

NEw York? Eh, only been once. Not that impressive.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NYC is pretty much the capital of the world right now. it is a world class city in many respects, and a great place to live for a few years.

chicago is a world class place to live, it is a fantastic city, and much better place to live for your whole life, or to raise kids.

nyc has a few things that are marginally better than chicago - the museums and other cultural institutions are top tier, there are only a handful of museums in the world that can compete with the met. the top end resteraunts. the business enviroment for very specific things.

chicago has better food in general, I am convinced. enthic food and basic day to day food. people in chicago are much nicer. it is easier to get around. parking is much cheaper.

chicago has very good museums and cultural institutions, for a normal city - by that I mean if you are not in nyc, paris, berlin munich or london, then chicago's cultural institutions are great. and they are all much more accesible.

chicagoland has more for kids, in a reasonable range - greater nyc is a 3 hour circle. chicagoland is a 90 minunte circle.

getting downtown from the subhurbs is easier in chicago.

adambparker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just moved from NYC to Chicago. Very happy with my decision.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
An old quote of John Lennon:

"John Lennon had loved New York from the first time he visited in his Beatle days, and considered it the cultural center of the world, as evidenced by his comment: "If I'd lived in Roman times, I'd have lived in Rome. Where else? Today America is the Roman Empire and New York is Rome itself."

Still some truth to it.

Caught between the twisted stars
The plotted lines the faulty map
That brought columbus to new york
Betwixt between the east and west
He calls on her wearing a leather vest
The earth squeals and shudders to a halt
A diamond crucifix in his ear
Is used to help ward off the fear
That he has left his soul in someone's rented car
Inside his pants he hides a mop
To clean the mess that he has dropped
Into the life of lithesome juliette bell

And romeo wanted juliette
And juliette wanted romeo
And romeo wanted juliette
And juliette wanted romeo

Romeo rodriguez squares
His shoulders and curses jesus
Runs a comb through his black pony-tail
He's thinking of his lonely room
The sink that by his bed gives off a stink
Then smells her perfume in his eyes
And her voice was like a bell

Outside the street were steaming the crack
Dealers were dreaming
Of an uzi someone had just scored
I betcha I could hit that light
With my one good arm behind my back
Says little joey diaz
Brother give me another tote
Those downtown hoods are no damn good
Those italians need a lesson to be taught
This cop who died in harlem
You think they'd get the warnin'
I was dancing when his brains run out on the street

And romeo had juliette
And juliette had her romeo
And romeo had juliette
And juliette had her romeo

I'll take manhattan in a garbage bag
With latin written on it that says
"it's hard to give a **** these days"
Manhattan's sinking like a rock
Into the filthy hudson what a shock
They wrote a book about it
They said it was like ancient rome

The perfume burned his eyes
Holding tightly to her thighs
And something flickered for a minute
And then it vanished and was gone

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love both cities. I get to Chicago at least once a month. Can only get to NYC 3 or 4 times a year
frown.gif
Both are nice bicycle cities. NYC has better Jazz clubs than Chicago. I can park in Chicago, night or day, weekday and weekends.

perusingnature

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
More so than State and City income taxes. Also housing prices that are literally a fraction of NYC housing costs.

There are trade offs anywhere you live. Houston may not be the best place, but it's consistently voted the most liveable ( or close to it ) big city to live in the USA.

you bastards leave texas the moment you retire and leach off other states who do have state and city income taxes diverted towards stipends. i'm not directing this at you necessarily but it's frustrating when my taxes don't pay for **** anymore in my own state. freedom to live where ever one wants ******.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Huh?
Spiaggia, Tru, Everest-- that level of place is what most people in Chicago consider high end dining (granted there are some nicer places). NY has a lot more higher end places that cost 2 or 3X a Spiaggia bill and up. Alinea's is great, but there's obviously a higher end in NYC.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
chicago food is just as good as nyc food. wasn;t always the case, but it is now. we are overrun with celeb chefs, half of whom's half-assed new efforts suck.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Spiaggia, Tru, Everest-- that level of place is what most people in Chicago consider high end dining (granted there are some nicer places). NY has a lot more higher end places that cost 2 or 3X a Spiaggia bill and up.
If you are saying that how much a place costs has an affect on how nice a restaurant it is, I don't even know what to tell you. NYC is an amazing food city. As is Chicago. You can make the claim either way, and either is arguable, but what I was taking offense to was your use of "OBVIOUSLY" when describing how much better NYC's restaurant scene is than Chicago's.

Alinea's is great, but there's obviously a higher end in NYC.
I know many people who would disagree with you, and not a whole lot that would agree.

Originally Posted by thekunk07
chicago food is just as good as nyc food. wasn;t always the case, but it is now. we are overrun with celeb chefs, half of whom's half-assed new efforts suck.
There's something to be said for that. I don't know much about NYC celebrity chefs, but Chicago celebrity chefs are chefs first and celebrities second--- meaning 95% of the time they're actually in the restaurant. I hear that this isn't the case in NYC.

mmr1990

Reaction score
New York City. Hands down. Chicago is great, but NYC is ... NYC.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
There's something to be said for that. I don't know much about NYC celebrity chefs, but Chicago celebrity chefs are chefs first and celebrities second--- meaning 95% of the time they're actually in the restaurant. I hear that this isn't the case in NYC.

I'll totally agree with this statement.

Also, I didn't mean to say Chicago's food was that much worse--- I had just expected everyone on here to point out how there were higher end restaurants in NYC (this is style forum after all)

I'll be honest, last time I was in Chicago I skipped the real high end dining and went to Blackbird and it was great

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads