• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

hypersonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I very much like Horta's work, thanks for posting. Gaudi's work not so much, but nethertheless, he was interesting. Gaudi also died in poverty if I remember correctly.
Absolutely wonderful -- I sometimes feel that the genius of some of the Art Nouveau architects is often overlooked in the history of Modern architecture -- there is so much emphasis placed on the Bauhaus, Le Corbusier, and the like, that we often fail to appreciate the extraordinarily innovative and complex marriage of form/art and structure of some of this Art Nouveau architecture.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brutalist library:
Regenstein_Library_entrance2.jpg

Not-brutalist addition:
southview.jpg

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
What is the purpose of this building? Looks almost like a hangar for small aircraft.

It is a garage and storage space with an office on the second floor. I worked in another Gluck designed building near that one that is a poolhouse built into the side of a hill.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poppies
To contribute, how about some art nouveau:

victor horta
slide_11.jpg

I am a huge fan of Horta (and Gaudi). Mrs. 808 and I went to Belgium in the fall and spent a great deal of time looking at his architecture. We even got to see the inside of the Van Eetvelde house which is privately owned. And we toured Horta's house and studio. Both are just amazing examples of Horta's work. Stunning. To replicate them now would just cost a fortune. Tiffany stained glass, intricate iron work.

And we spent our Honeymoon in Barcelona seeing all the Gaudi architecture.

The Maison Cauchie (sp?)in Brussels is a great example of the Vienna Successionist movement with its sgraffiti. Vienna is next on our list of architecture cities.

Let me get some photos posted.

Originally Posted by George
I very much like Horta's work, thanks for posting. Gaudi's work not so much, but nethertheless, he was interesting. Gaudi also died in poverty if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure he was poor, but he was a recluse I think. He was hit by some construction materials at the Sagrada Familia site and stumbled into the street and was hit by a passing cart or something. No one recognized him and left him there thinking he was a begger (nice) and he died later at a hospital. I think that's how the story goes.

b

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Most of you guys like really ugly architecture.
At least no one has linked to the Seattle Public Library.

poppies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
At least no one has linked to the Seattle Public Library.

I'm not much of a koolhaas fan but I like what I've seen and read about it

guessing you were probably pretty happy to hear that the tvcc in beijing burned down

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poppies
guessing you were probably pretty happy to hear that the tvcc in beijing burned down
The fire made it much better, yes.

poppies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
2004LS02.001.jpg

Who thought this was a good idea?

I do. There's a lot more thought behind it than you might think. There's alot of programmatic innovations and interesting use of signage. Granted this is all based on what I've read and seen online:

stimages070900.jpg

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/new.../architecture/ (another diagram of layout)
http://www.spl.org/lfa/central/oma/O...1299/page2.htm (OMA's original proposal; might seem a bit pretentious, depends on how you feel about architectural writing)

And regardless of what you think of the exterior, I think most people will enjoy seeing the interior

seattlelibrary-753949.jpg

just look at that escalator!

558104049_73dd500463.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bullshit, go actually try and work in there. It's a complete failure of a library. You'll need those architecture drawings to use as a map to find your way inside, btw.

poppies

Reaction score
I thought the signage was supposed to be a big help to navigation so that you didn't need the map? Anyway like I said all I've never actually been there, so if you have first hand experience I can't argue with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads