• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I found another pair of Church's today at the same store where I got the pair last week. Kind of makes me wish I could have been checking every day...

These aren't as nice as the last ones (imo). They are essentially brown suede sneakers. Still, they'll go well with jeans and you can't beat Church's for 10 bucks.

Aside from that I got a pair of tan bucks and a Pendleton woolen jacket, kind of shaped like a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser that I think the workwear fans over in SW&D would like.

illeagle

Reaction score
checked out a place i haven't been before and found:

1 Lanvin sports coat
1 Canali Loro Piana wool sports coat
2 NWOT white non-iron BB shirts
1 NWT BB polo shirt
2 NWOT BB merino polo sweaters
2 pair of nicely worn selvedge jeans

not sure if this place gets stuff donated directly from BB, but they seemed to have a lot of NWOT BB stuff...grand total was ~$44

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 vintage Hermes ties, pm me if you would like to buy them.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Found a motherload of Oxxford

Tease! Post details!
tounge.gif

Today was pretty rewarding after a long and depressing dry spell. This Goodwill always has something good, I found a NWOT Brioni for Wilkes Bashford there about this time last year.

Brioni Lavender dress shirt (w/ Brioni collar stays!) $4.99

DSC02735.jpg

Brioni casual shirt $4.99

DSC02734.jpg

Polo RL quilted navy jacket w/ corduroy collar and cuff lining. I'm not a fan of the snap front, but I've been looking for one of these for awhile and it's my size. Couldn't beat the price either at $6.99

DSC02739.jpg

Passed up on some nice RL shirts, a "dungaree workshirt" which I liked best out of that lot and a bunch of Ike Behar shirts. My unemployment check only goes so far....
plain.gif

Also got a Arctyrex soft-shell jacket from the Goodwil (in the wash, otherwise I would have grabbed a pic of that too).

More thrifts to hit tomorrow
bounce2.gif

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Found a motherload of Oxxford

I live for the motherload. There's nothing like finding an entire wardrobe--often carefully assembled over many years--just dumped off at the thrift store. I've hit various motherlodes over the years. My first experience with the motherlode occurred about ten years ago when I found eight Henry Poole suits and three jackets at the local Goodwill. Later acquaintances include fifteen pairs of Henry Maxwell shoes and twenty very nice Harvie & Hudson bespoke shirts. This fall I ran into a near motherload of five current model Brioni suits. Quantity does sometimes have its own charm.
I anxiously await the full blow-by-blow from antirabbit.

mbell

Reaction score
I haven't found much for a while but haven't been looking real hard either. At NM Last Call I got a NM house brand linen shirt for just under $10.

I found a recent US made BB shirt at Goodwill. I hadn't noticed it was marked as a "boutique" item for $9.99. I questioned the cashier about it and he said "Oh, Brooks Brothers. That's a very expensive designer label." I likely rolled my eyes, but figured it was still worth getting. I also had a RL Polo cotton sweater vest. It was not marked anything special but the cashier proclaimed it a boutique item as well, said he would have to check on the price and did I still want it. "Not for $10," I said. I ended up getting it for $6.99. I'm a lot less inclined to go to Goodwill now.

At the more reasonable Thrift Village I found some light blue cotton BB pants that looked pretty recent for $2 and a purple check Zegna shirt for $3. I also found the linen Lorenzini shirt pictured below for $4. I've never seen a Lorenzini tag like this one and the shirt lists no country of origin or size. It also has no yoke. The front piece is sewn directly to the back piece.

mike

lorenzini.jpg

illeagle

Reaction score
some more finds after a short workday yesterday:

2 J Press sportscoats $10 each
1 Brooks Brothers rain jacket $12
1 Zegna polo shirt $6
1 Burberry polo shirt $6
1 Jhane Barnes dress shirt $6
1 Jos A Bank leather jacket $20
1 Hermes tie $1 (already sold for $50 on the bay)
1 Brooks Brothers tie $1
2 Tommy Bahama silk shirts $4 each
1 Tommy Bahama linen shirt $4
1 RLP linen shirt $2
1 RLP polo shirt $2
2 Brooks Brothers non-irons $4 each
2 Faconnable s/s camp shirts $6 each
1 Faconnable polo shirt $6

and a few more decent things I can't remember right now

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Tease! Post details!
tounge.gif

Today was pretty rewarding after a long and depressing dry spell. This Goodwill always has something good, I found a NWOT Brioni for Wilkes Bashford there about this time last year.

Brioni Lavender dress shirt (w/ Brioni collar stays!) $4.99

DSC02735.jpg

Brioni casual shirt $4.99

DSC02734.jpg

Very well done!
worship.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
My first experience with the motherlode occurred about ten years ago when I found eight Henry Poole suits and three jackets at the local Goodwill... twenty very nice Harvie & Hudson bespoke shirts... five current model Brioni suits. Quantity does sometimes have its own charm.
You, sir, are on a whole other level completely!
laugh.gif

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I hadn't been out thrifting for some time, so I went on a bit of a binge these last three days. It was well worth the wait as I scored some fantastic items:

1. Chester Barrie for Carroll & Co. glen plaid suit - $30 (has the sick Carroll & Co. lining)
2. Kiton houndstooth sportjacket - $10
3. St. Andrews per Tincati check/plaid sportjacket - $10
4. Cantarelli lightweight tweed sportjacket -$10
5. Orvis/Harris tweed shooting jacket - $20 (with working collar tab/action shoulder pleats/bellow patch pockets/leather patch elbows)
6. Barbour Tattersall shirt - $7
7. BBGF dress shirt - $5
8. NWT Kiton tie - $3
9. NWT Battistoni tie - $3
10. 2 x Dormeuil ties - $6
11. Varvatos loafers - $10
12. Charvest tie - $4

All this was found at 3 different thrift stores in 3 days. All items are in excellent condition and my size for a grand total of $118. That's significantly less than the Kiton tie alone!

How can one not be addicted to thrifting?

holy ****...where do you live? kiton at the thrift?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle
holy ****...where do you live? kiton at the thrift?
NYC. It can be a thrifter's paradise... though I've returned empty-handed many a time.

illeagle

Reaction score
hopefully this is the last time I go until next month and sell some of this stuff off... after taking a few weeks off I got addicted again

first place (was one of those VV places, and had mostly nothing):
1 Valentino silk/wool houndstooth sportscoat $3
1 Corneliani sportscoat $3
passed on a NWT Pendleton wool l/s button-front shirt, BOSS shirt, and couple BB shirts just cuz

second place (in some crappy shopping center across the street from first place, so maybe that's why it doesn't get much attention)
1 Allen Edmonds Park Avenues in brand new condition (no wear on soles at all)! $25
1 Burberrys trenchcoat $10
1 Brooks Brothers pinstripe suit $17
1 Brooks Brothers houndstooth sportscoat $7
1 Brooks Brothers linen/wool sportscoat $7
1 Jhane Barnes tie $2
1 Charles Tyrwhitt silk/linen button-down shirt $5
1 Burberry dress shirt $5
1 RLP yellow w/ purple pony polo shirt $5

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Very well done!
worship.gif

These were the find I needed to keep hopes up. Last years tax season treated me very well, I guess I set myself up for disappointment after the 4 recent Isaia suits I found all in one hit last February....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads