• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fatto_in_Italia
No more running miles for me the upcoming month. I'm gonna take a long rest to get rid of my knee injury. Thing is, I don't feel any pain when playing squash, but after running a mile or so a sharp pain under my knee cap appears and gets worse and worse :S..

Fatto:

A few Q's - first, have you been diagnosed with anything, or found anything on the web about this?
If no in both cases,
Have you been running hills lately?
Is this a stabbing pain on the outside of the knee that comes on quickly?
If so, google IT band and see if this matches up.
Good luck in any case.

For me: 4 miles in the rain this mornin.

Fatto_in_Italia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Fatto:

A few Q's - first, have you been diagnosed with anything, or found anything on the web about this?
If no in both cases,
Have you been running hills lately?
Is this a stabbing pain on the outside of the knee that comes on quickly?
If so, google IT band and see if this matches up.
Good luck in any case.

For me: 4 miles in the rain this mornin.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but looking up IT band injuries it seems to fit my symptons exactly. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I just need to follow up a good treatment plan and I'll be running again this spring.
Funny thing, I started running in october last year and I thought I'd get tired of it within no time. Fact is, I can't stand not being able to run.. It's way too addictive..

I'll be in back in this thread in April!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fatto_in_Italia
I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but looking up IT band injuries it seems to fit my symptons exactly. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I just need to follow up a good treatment plan and I'll be running again this spring.
Funny thing, I started running in october last year and I thought I'd get tired of it within no time. Fact is, I can't stand not being able to run.. It's way too addictive..

I'll be in back in this thread in April!

I feel your pain. Actually, I had an IT Band issue a few years back, rest did nothing at all because the band that stretches between the hip and knee had shortened and wasn't about to relax. So I stretched it out over the course of a week and haven't had any problems since.

IF you choose to do this (tread carefully in case you have something different, and double-check before taking my word here).

This is what I did: First warm the legs up in a hot tub or bath (or shower). Then I would stand in a doorway, planting my foot at one side of the doorway, move my hip towards the other side of the door way, and press my upper body back away from the hip-side doorway. In effect, I tried to look like a boomerang. Hold that for a 20-30 seconds, relax, repeat. Watch your form and pay attention to your body - you shouldn't experience any pain, you just want to stretch the tight parts.

Stretch it a week before testing it out. Good luck!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
5 1/3 miles this morning. no rain, but damp and cool and my damn nips were killing me halfway through.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Vaseline + nip bandages are your friend.

Or maybe you can get Mrs. T to give them a thorough rubdown.
inlove.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Vaseline + nip bandages are your friend.

Or maybe you can get Mrs. T to give them a thorough rubdown.
inlove.gif

Actually, she got me these nipguards years and years ago (and I still have them) - normally I use band-aids but yesterday was rough and I totally forgot about them this morning...much to my dismay. I held my shirt out from my chest for the last 3 miles or so. Kinda sucked.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's an IT band issue. Those involve pain on the lateral portion of the knee (over the lower extremity of the femur) and the pain is usually localized and doesn't feel near the kneecap at all.

If it's under the kneecap it's Runner's Knee. It's inflammation caused by improper patella tracking. Anti-inflammatories will help. If you can find an orthopaedist who's willing to give you cortisone that should take care of it then and there. Otherwise, rest and get blood flowing to the area regularly.

You can help prevent it in the future by strengthening the vastus medialis and other muscles. Most people won't see improvement in symptoms but in terms of long-term help it's good to make sure the quadriceps are all around equal strength and flexibility. Anthropometry will always leave some people predisposed to getting joint pain.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two miles to test my Achilles tendinitis. It's still there.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ran a mile at a pace quicker than usual yesterday and for a couple of minutes I thought I had fucked up my right calf (gastrocnemius?). My fault for not stretching enough and failing to do a warm up prior to stretch.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Ran a mile at a pace quicker than usual yesterday and for a couple of minutes I thought I had fucked up my right calf (gastrocnemius?). My fault for not stretching enough and failing to do a warm up prior to stretch.

dude, I never stretch.

Actually, I take that back - I stretch when I yawn.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I doubt it's an IT band issue. Those involve pain on the lateral portion of the knee (over the lower extremity of the femur) and the pain is usually localized and doesn't feel near the kneecap at all.

If it's under the kneecap it's Runner's Knee. It's inflammation caused by improper patella tracking. Anti-inflammatories will help. If you can find an orthopaedist who's willing to give you cortisone that should take care of it then and there. Otherwise, rest and get blood flowing to the area regularly.

You can help prevent it in the future by strengthening the vastus medialis and other muscles. Most people won't see improvement in symptoms but in terms of long-term help it's good to make sure the quadriceps are all around equal strength and flexibility. Anthropometry will always leave some people predisposed to getting joint pain.

I'd considered Runner's Knee, but the one-mile onset and rapid worsening seemed more IT band than a patellar issue. Likewise with the squash - if he's playing squash with reasonable vigor for a decent length of time, I'm guessing his quads aren't in too bad a shape for all the lunging and stop-start on the squash court, and that patellar issues would turn up there as well.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I'd considered Runner's Knee, but the one-mile onset and rapid worsening seemed more IT band than a patellar issue. Likewise with the squash - if he's playing squash with reasonable vigor for a decent length of time, I'm guessing his quads aren't in too bad a shape for all the lunging and stop-start on the squash court, and that patellar issues would turn up there as well.

Both are overuse injuries and inflammation and will onset at about the same time.

I don't know why the issue wouldn't turn up as much with squash since I have no experience with it.

jwied82

Reaction score
anyone training now for any spring marathons or 1/2 marathons??
I'm going to be running a marathon in april, itll be my second one. I didnt do enough long runs for my first one... longest training run was 18mi, so this time around im going to try and put in a couple 20+ milers

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwied82
anyone training now for any spring marathons or 1/2 marathons??
I'm going to be running a marathon in april, itll be my second one. I didnt do enough long runs for my first one... longest training run was 18mi, so this time around im going to try and put in a couple 20+ milers

I'll be running my first marathon on May 3rd. I'm up to 14 miles on Saturdays. My training schedule has me running 20 miles only once three weeks out from the marathon.

Do you think it would be wise to incorporate more runs over 20 miles?

My goal is to not stop running throughout the whole marathon and finish under 4 hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads