• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

which is a better city: Chicago or New York?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By popular request

Which is a better city? Does Chicago offer most of the good points of New York, along with being cheaper, having a current US President, and not having to stumble over unemployed bankers on the way to work?

New York, ruthless. Chicago, nuturing. New York, churn. Chicago, stasis. New York, great ******* restaurants. Chicago, restos that are not as good as everyone thinks they are. New York, stinky. Chicago, alleys for garbage. New York, bombastic. Chicago, modest. New York, defense mode. Chicago, eye contact and smiles. New York, pretentious. Chicago, serious. New York, a racetrack for ambition. Chicago, a place to settle down and play the long game. New York, pizza. Chicago, hot dogs. New York, Yankees. Chicago, Cubs. New York, Prada. Chicago, Marshall Field's. New York, subway. Chicago, SUV. New York, vodka. Chicago, beer. New York, the Atlantic. Chicago, Lake Michigan. New York, junior four. Chicago, 4BR, 4.5 BA, double-wide lot.

singhstyle

Reaction score
In my opinion, New York City. Chicago has a lot of history, but I have tons of friends who interned in Chicago and they liked it for the financial analyst aspect. Its a booming business center. Now, NYC pertains to every aspect of a person's life. Bars, Gyms, very fast paced life overall. Also, if you left the NYC area, there are still a lot of cities to go to, Princeton, trenton, Philly, D.C. Once youre in Chicago, you cannot really go to any other cities that provide as much entertainment or opportunities as those on the East Coast or even West coast.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Should be a poll.

I lived in NYC through HS, and I loved it.

Of course that was long ago and I had nothing to compare it to.

I still think it's an amazing place to visit and I would recommend it to anyone for a visit.

I'm on Houston, Tx. now and I wouldn't move back to NYC.

I've only traveled through Chicago and it seemed very appealing but I don't know enough about it to answer your question.

A lot would depend on how you define "better".

If better is defined as cost of living and accessibility to good health care, Houston would beat both of them. If better entails, nightlife, beauty, cultural aspects, etc., then Houston would come in # 3.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by singhstyle
In my opinion, New York City. Chicago has a lot of history, but I have tons of friends who interned in Chicago and they liked it for the financial analyst aspect. Its a booming business center. Now, NYC pertains to every aspect of a person's life. Bars, Gyms, very fast paced life overall. Also, if you left the NYC area, there are still a lot of cities to go to, Princeton, trenton, Philly, D.C. Once youre in Chicago, you cannot really go to any other cities that provide as much entertainment or opportunities as those on the East Coast or even West coast.
That's true. Chicago doesn't have a close network of other major cultural centers like NYC does (the Boston to NY to Philly to D.C. corridor). Then again, with air travel, it's not exactly hard to get anywhere in the U.S.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in both cities but a lot more in Chicago than NYC. Although I really love Chicago, NYC is the better, IMO.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago, hands down. Fortunately the threat of weather keeps the wimpy coasties away.

And remember, when the ice caps melt it'll still be 420' above sea level.
laugh.gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Should be a poll.

I lived in NYC through HS, and I loved it.

Of course that was long ago and I had nothing to compare it to.

I still think it's an amazing place to visit and I would recommend it to anyone for a visit.

I'm on Houston, Tx. now and I wouldn't move back to NYC.

I've only traveled through Chicago and it seemed very appealing but I don't know enough about it to answer your question.

A lot would depend on how you define "better".

If better is defined as cost of living and accessibility to good health care, Houston would beat both of them. If better entails, nightlife, beauty, cultural aspects, etc., then Houston would come in # 3.

Houston? You must like driving and strip malls.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
That's true. Chicago doesn't have a close network of other major cultural centers like NYC does (the Boston to NY to Philly to D.C. corridor). Then again, with air travel, it's not exactly hard to get anywhere in the U.S.
And flying is just so convenient these days.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I've heard many good things about Chicago, I've never been. I'd really like to check it out though. So for now anyway, NYC gets my nod.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Although I've heard many good things about Chicago, I've never been. I'd really like to check it out though.
You should come. I love it.
Might want to wait a few months though...

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In terms of academia (i am super geek boy, so this $hit concerns me)... i tend to think University of Chicago is better than Columbia and NYU. Although Columbia and UofC are pretty close. ok.. just my 2 cents. More Nobel Prizes in Economics out of Univ Chicago than anywhere else.
teacha.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Houston? You must like driving and strip malls.

More so than State and City income taxes. Also housing prices that are literally a fraction of NYC housing costs.

There are trade offs anywhere you live. Houston may not be the best place, but it's consistently voted the most liveable ( or close to it ) big city to live in the USA.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
NYC is more global, Chicago better represents the heartland of America.

And yet, the people are so provincial

brlfvr

Reaction score
I grew up in Chicago and have only visited NY. From that I think that Chicago is cleaner, safer and the people are more to my liking. Brooklyn Heights was really nice though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads