• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rudolf Scheer & Sohne

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll be right outside Vienna for a wedding in April and was thinking of paying a visit to Scheer. They have an impressive reputation (brick-n-mortar not just an ireputation).

The shoes are fairly expensive though (3,000 euros) - would anyone have experience with this firm and, better yet, some pictures (I've only seen one to date on centipede's website).

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My money is on Chikor.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
fritzl?

You should also post this on LL, some people there have some Vienna experience.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is their web-site: http://www.scheer.at/ I have been inside the shop and talked to Marcus Scheer (the current MD). The premises have something of a monastery or church about them, all dimly lit and everything is spoken in hushed voices. On the ground floor you find the shoes and lasts of previous customers, strangely enough all emperors, kings, politicians. I could see no representatives of the arts: no Freud, Mahler, Karajan, no Hedwig Bleibtreu, Ernst Deutsch or Raoul Aslan (famous actors of the ‘Burgtheater’). Joie de vivre (in German: 'Lebensfreude') is obviously not their forte. Scheer (established 1816) must be the oldest bespoke shoemaker in the world, still run by members of the founding family.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
On the ground floor
you find the shoes and lasts of previous customers, strangely enough all emperors, kings, politicians. I could see no representatives of the arts:
no Freud, Mahler, Karajan, no Hedwig Bleibtreu, Ernst Deutsch or Raoul Aslan (famous actors of the "˜Burgtheater').

How about Falco or Reinhard Fendrich? Do they have Sissi's last?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lifetime complimentary recrafting, I believe, and if true, it would seem to dull the pain of the price substantially.

Lucky bastard.

- B

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Lifetime complimentary recrafting, I believe, and if true, it would seem to dull the pain of the price substantially.

Lucky bastard.

- B

Lifelong service of any kind.

Recrafting, polishing etc.
If you are in Vienna, you could take your shoes for a polishing service to Scheer once a week.

A friend of mine is a customer and owns several pairs.

I can't tell, if the 3000 Euro price is entirely justified, but after all I've heard, Scheer is a great shoemaker and the service is outstanding.

Surely this is only true once you ARE actually a customer. They don't need new ones and they sometimes let you feel that...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
They don't need new ones and they sometimes let you feel that...

My like from afar is turning into love from afar.

- B

Cornellian

Reaction score
I'm a Balint customer, and have never tried Scheer. Their shoes look excellent from the window though (B-S is correct, the store has a church like feel). I went with Balint because the price was about a third less, and they provided excellent customer service. They also had the right attitude towards fit (for me).

Certainly though, you can't go wrong. Seems like a great product.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thank you all. I don't have an LL account but I'll do an archive search there.

Apart from the website pics, and the sole pair on centipede's site, has anyone seen any other pics on the internets?

Cornellian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thank you all. I don't have an LL account but I'll do an archive search there.

Apart from the website pics, and the sole pair on centipede's site, has anyone seen any other pics on the internets?

If I can help you in any way (I'm about an hour from Vienna and visit often), let me know.

I don't recall seeing any other pics though, and don't know of anyone who has a pair. I bet Fritzl has access to some German p0rn sites with pictures... Calling Fritzl!!

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
If I can help you in any way (I'm about an hour from Vienna and visit often), let me know.

I don't recall seeing any other pics though, and don't know of anyone who has a pair. I bet Fritzl has access to some German p0rn sites with pictures... Calling Fritzl!!

Thank you - I appreciate the offer. I shall pm you with any questions as I get closer to the date of departure.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cornellian
German p0rn sites ...
crazy.gif
Don't go there!!!!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
crazy.gif
Don't go there!!!!

You mean you don't like to see women ********?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
You mean you don't like to see women ********?

I've never been to Atlanta.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads