• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business meeting pick-ups

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
GQ had an article about guys who came out as gay prematurely and later realized they weren't, it was an interesting read.
It's so tough and, honestly, often you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. "Identity," whatever that means, is fluid and we good dualistic Cartesians make ourselves pick a place... and stay in it. I do it to myself, even though I don't mean to. I tell my students everyday about "embracing multiplicity," allowing yourself room to maneuver, change, grow, and not feeling constricted by oppressive social structures. I tell them not to WORRY if they like boys or girls and I even give them the tools to analyze their situations and themselves such that they can start NOT to worry. And yet, I'm not perfect and I rarely, if ever, am actually able to practice what I preach. I've honestly never even considered, nor do I know how... what it might be like to LIKE a girl/woman. Does that mean I'm 100% gay? Doubtful... it probably just means I've swung the pendulum in the opposite direction from my upbringing, to tell myself now that all that conflict was "worth it" because now I "know" who I am. Do I? Doubtful. Nobody does. We change by the hour/minute/day. I've studied enough Zen to know the stakes, and yet I'm the worst Zen, most insidiously Cartesian, you can get.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally think all ******** are ugly and slightly revolting and attribute the praise and admiration of Michelangelo's David to the artist's ability to make a dick look decent.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I find the old gay public figures interesting and perverse: Paul Lynde, Liberace, Rip Torn, et al.
I'm pretty sure you mean Rip Taylor, not Rip Torn.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah I thought "Isn't that the guy from Men in Black?" and wiki'd to confirm him as a straight alcoholic.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah I thought "Isn't that the guy from Men in Black?" and wiki'd to confirm him as a straight alcoholic.
I thought the same thing, but knew somebody else would post it.
lol8[1].gif

Sucrose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hippo
Regarding sexual orientation: I always hear straight guys talking about how repulsive other men's penises are, and gays guys saying the vaginas turn them off. My general question: Does liking one sex's reproductive organs, and bodies overall, require you to be disgusted by the other sex?

It seems more unlikely if the non-preferred gender is one's own gender (i.e., heterosexuality), since most people don't seem to find their own anatomy repulsive.

Originally Posted by Hippo
I'm not sure if bisexual is the correct term for me, because my emotional and intellectual relationships with men cannot compare to mine with women. But I like to get fucked, and I find some guys really attractive. I generally consider myself straight, with a fetish for guys, because bisexual is often interpreted as "closeted."

A person might be bisexual without being bi-affectional, i.e., a person might be sexually attracted to both genders but only be emotionally attracted to one gender. Conversely, a person might be bi-affectional (emotionally attracted to both genders) without being bisexual in the usual sense (as in the case of a "Boston Marriage" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_marriage).

In an earlier post in this thread I referenced the Klein Sexual Orientation Grid, which recognizes these kinds of distinctions. See also "Affectional Orientation" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affectional_orientation

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sucrose
It seems more unlikely if the non-preferred gender is one's own gender (i.e., heterosexuality), since most people don't seem to find their own anatomy repulsive. A person might be bisexual without being bi-affectional, i.e., a person might be sexually attracted to both genders but only be emotionally attracted to one gender. Conversely, a person might be bi-affectional (emotionally attracted to both genders) without being bisexual in the usual sense (as in the case of a "Boston Marriage" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_marriage). In an earlier post in this thread I referenced the Klein Sexual Orientation Grid, which recognizes these kinds of distinctions. See also "Affectional Orientation" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affectional_orientation
I took it just for fun: 17% straight for me, though I think it is probably because of the "your past" thread of the grid. Growing up in the Bible Belt, obviously I didn't meet other gay people until college, so the "affiliations" and such were predominantly heterosexual until then. Nevertheless, 17% of me apparently is REALLY digging the "NSFW Tittaaaay" threads. Who'd a thunk it?

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Thus we have a situation where, in popular consciousness, homosexuality and femininity are equated (both being seen as inferior), and opposed to heterosexuality and masculinity. Hence the importance of gender as a category for addressing these issues.

So I would agree with your earlier point, why, about the undermining effect of things like pride rallies and hedonism for general acceptance. But insofar as some gays are conducting themselves like women, the interesting questions to me are: why do some gays associate with femininity? What does this tell us about the relationships between men and women? Do we need to address female inequality first? Etc. etc.

It's all very confusing and complicated.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by philosophe
As I understand the research, sexual identity is more fluid for most women than for most men. I have, though, known more than a few "straight" men I'd describe as somewhat bisexual. Why must desire obey some binary opposition?

Originally Posted by why
I think the effeminacy just comes with the territory. Not all homosexuals are effeminate though. I know a lot who are the SR-71s to gaydar.
laugh.gif

In re history: I still think it doesn't apply. At least not as far back as Greece and Rome pre-Constantine.

Originally Posted by why
I know, but with people that are used to being shunned (ie. gays) it seems a lot of people get into that subculture as a means of acceptance. Its pervasiveness has almost made it de rigeur for homosexuals and it just helps to feed assumptions and ultimately aversion.

There's something interesting here that might rely on the seeming inferiority of femininity--or better, on the seeming superiority of one mode of masculinity (even if that one mode is awfully hard to pin down). If there is a rigid image of manliness that many straight men aspire to, then anyone who comes to terms with their exclusion from that image is free to experience much less rigid social roles. That freedom may take on sexual or social manifestations more fluidly and can be experienced by gay men, women, 'sensitive' men equally. If this were the case, would completely astigmatizing 'feminine' characteristics de facto force more people into defined social roles? Just throwing it out there.

Why, the ancient historical interest isn't necessarily to help understand the experience of gays today, but to understand why and how social roles change over time, and how that might be instructive to think about the future.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I took it just for fun: 17% straight for me
Should we start a thread about this? I just took the survey. 62% straight, which seems about right, maybe a bit low.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Should we start a thread about this? I just took the survey. 62% straight, which seems about right, maybe a bit low.

Les grands esprits se rencontrent! I was just wondering about this; if you start one, I'll re-post my results.
smile.gif

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
I didn't expect the straight numbers to be so low. This is sure sign that the apocalypse is imminent.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I guess I'm 13.5% gay, if I read my results right. .81/6 I expected more to be honest.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Les grands esprits se rencontrent! I was just wondering about this; if you start one, I'll re-post my results.
smile.gif

Done.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
GQ had an article about guys who came out as gay prematurely and later realized they weren't, it was an interesting read.

IMO there's nothing inherently good or bad about ********, whether they be a dong or a gash, but say a dirty hairy dong and a rancid vag are both equally terrible thoughts.

Funny to read this - Mrs. T has a friend who was out (or semi-out, I guess) in college. They lost touch and when they reconnected, he's married with a child. Imagine our surprise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads