• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You got an 18kt nose piece for 50$?

Regardless, its a beautiful umbrella.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Thought I'd share some photos of my antique Fox furze wood umbrella. I picked it up on ebay about a month ago for $50. It came from the UK and originally had a silk canopy. The silk canopy was quite worn, however, so I called Gilbert Center, famed umbrella repair man, to make it new again. I can't recommend Gilbert enough. Anyone thinking of having an umbrella restored should call him right away. For $150 Gilbert refinished this umbrella completely by hand. He stripped and refinished the wooden shaft, he removed the rust of the ribs and repainted them by hand, he replaced the canopy with high quality Italian nylon (sewed by hand), replaced the tip, and resewed the original MOP button from the silk canopy for the closure. And he did this all in about 7 days. And he's 86 years old, and an incredibly nice man.

Gilbert estimated this umbrella to be about 100 years old as it has one of the earlier Fox rib configurations. He also claimed that in all his years he's never seen an 18kt gold nose piece, and he's never seen a nose piece with my design. He said that this is a very unique umbrella, and as it came from the UK, it must have belonged to a proper gentlemen. He was very impressed. Given his knowledge on these matters, I'm pretty pleased to have such a nice umbrella for $200. It has held up incredibly well in stiff wind, and I look forward to getting good use out of it.

Nice find.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky. The nose piece is marked "18 ktg" and the seller stated as such in the listing. It's a pretty thin nose piece, and it I suppose it may be plated, but it is marked 18ktg and looks sweet. I think the seller is an antique dealer in the UK and sees these old umbrellas fairly regularly, and the canopy silk was pretty rough. Gotta love ebay (sometimes anyway).

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Thought I'd share some photos of my antique Fox furze wood umbrella. I picked it up on ebay about a month ago for $50. It came from the UK and originally had a silk canopy. The silk canopy was quite worn, however, so I called Gilbert Center, famed umbrella repair man, to make it new again. I can't recommend Gilbert enough. Anyone thinking of having an umbrella restored should call him right away. For $150 Gilbert refinished this umbrella completely by hand. He stripped and refinished the wooden shaft, he removed the rust of the ribs and repainted them by hand, he replaced the canopy with high quality Italian nylon (sewed by hand), replaced the tip, and resewed the original MOP button from the silk canopy for the closure. And he did this all in about 7 days. And he's 86 years old, and an incredibly nice man.

Gilbert estimated this umbrella to be about 100 years old as it has one of the earlier Fox rib configurations. He also claimed that in all his years he's never seen an 18kt gold nose piece, and he's never seen a nose piece with my design. He said that this is a very unique umbrella, and as it came from the UK, it must have belonged to a proper gentlemen. He was very impressed. Given his knowledge on these matters, I'm pretty pleased to have such a nice umbrella for $200. It has held up incredibly well in stiff wind, and I look forward to getting good use out of it.

Very cool story and umbrella!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
inlove.gif

DSC_1804.jpg

DSC_1814.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I used to live about two blocks away from Smiths for a semester in college. Naturally I had no real appreciation for the place at the time, but it definitely is one of the coolest looking storefronts in London.

Think I will make a pit stop there next time I'm in town (which unfortunately is not often enough).

University College?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
How did I miss your post, chorse? That's some hot butter right there. What's the word on the handle? Yours or just hot brolly Appreciation?

Yep, that's mine. Bark ash solid stick from Brigg with a sterling collar.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Yep, that's mine. Bark ash solid stick from Brigg with a sterling collar.
I missed your post of it, too. The handle is terrific!

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here's one that I recently got made in the 1970s for Harrods by Talarico of Naples, never used. Horn handle and tip, sterling collars at the handle and tip...frame and other metal bits made by a military foundry in Italy. Much more substantial than a Brigg (photographs are from the collector from whom I purchased the umbrella):

446910035_Coa6i-M.jpg

446910040_uPcpG-M.jpg

446910026_6Gqe5-M.jpg

446910005_nxtL7-M.jpg

I dont' believe umbrellas of this quality are made anymore, even by Talarico themselves.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads