• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business meeting pick-ups

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Question to those of you with more experience.

How do the various generalizations being made about the gay community, the differences between gay and straight relationships etc change when you move from a community in which there is a longer history of gay acceptance to one which is less tolerant, while staying in the same greater community, say in the US? I don't really mean the difference in interaction between the gay and straight communities, but whether the basic structure, and various subgroups have formed differently in more gay friendly places like SF and West Hollywood, where the entire community faces less overt hostility, versus other cities in the US.

Where I live now it's become very evident as the center city is cosmopolitan while surrounding areas are very socially conservative. The repression of homosexuality outside the city center has actually made a lot of gays into willing refugees from the aforementioned conservatism. As a result the downtown and surrounding areas probably have a greater homosexual demographic than normal. Most people around here have a 'live and let live' attitude toward it, but when confronted the old NIMBY attitude still shows itself.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That makes sense. I guess what I was getting at, though, was more along what blvfr was referencing, and that is whether in a setting in which there is less discrimination, and therefore slightly less impetus to function as a cohesive group, whether there is more friction between different subcultures, and whether there is simply more gay diversity, since it is possible to let go of an overriding identity of being simply gay. In other words, when the gay culture is seen as more normal in a given area, does it develop like any other culture, with all of the rifts and striations, or is even minimal acceptance so new in the US that even in the most open cities, there is still an important identity of being gay.

Obviously, I am way over generalizing, but...

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Real Bisexual: Sees dude at business meeting, sucks his dick in the men's room, moves on with life, doesn't need to talk about it.

Fake Bisexual: Acts like a dick in numerous threads, makes up story about having questionable sexuality to win general sympathy on internet men's clothing forum.

Closeted Homosexual: Sees dude at business meeting, wants to suck his dick in the men's room, but is still kidding around with himself and dating women, posts story on internet men's clothing forum anonymously to indulge his gayness without crossing the line.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Real Bisexual: Sees dude at business meeting, sucks his dick in the men's room, moves on with life, doesn't need to talk about it. Fake Bisexual: Acts like a dick in numerous threads, makes up story about having questionable sexuality to win general sympathy on internet men's clothing forum. Closeted Homosexual: Sees dude at business meeting, wants to suck his dick in the men's room, but is still kidding around with himself and dating women, posts story on internet men's clothing forum anonymously to indulge his gayness without crossing the line.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
worship.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I am proud to say I have never had the remotest urge to suck anything's appendage or ****.
You should venture to Berkeley and look for some hairy hippie ****.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
LabelKing, my professional opinion is that you really need to either get banged, or go bang somebody.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
LabelKing, my professional opinion is that you really need to either get banged, or go bang somebody.
Actually, I've given some thought to this, and I've never had any overwhelming urge, ever.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, I've thought about this, and I've never had any overwhelming urge, ever.
How about after Negroni number three?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Actually, I've given some thought to this, and I've never had any overwhelming urge, ever.

Doesn't have to be overwhelming even, just ********** it ffs.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That makes sense. I guess what I was getting at, though, was more along what blvfr was referencing, and that is whether in a setting in which there is less discrimination, and therefore slightly less impetus to function as a cohesive group, whether there is more friction between different subcultures, and whether there is simply more gay diversity, since it is possible to let go of an overriding identity of being simply gay. In other words, when the gay culture is seen as more normal in a given area, does it develop like any other culture, with all of the rifts and striations, or is even minimal acceptance so new in the US that even in the most open cities, there is still an important identity of being gay.

Obviously, I am way over generalizing, but...

Have you ever been to The Castro? There's your answer.
laugh.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
You probably need to take hormones or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads