• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best cheap button downs to wear with jeans

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking for some cheap button downs to wear with jeans untucked. i wear apcs primarily. thinking jcrew?

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew was going to be my recommendation, especially on sale.

Scoobersti

Reaction score
I agree with the jcrew recommendation. I got some shirts last week at the J Crew outlet for 10 bucks each. They had 50% off of clearance stuff.

854ca

Reaction score
H&M. Full-retail for button-downs is 25 bucks...on sale, you can find them for stupid cheap. J Crew quality is better though.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is J. Crew outlet quality going to be the same though? Wouldn't it be better to pick things from the J. Crew regular store clearance racks?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
j crew shirts eat dick. the best 'cheap' button downs are from rugby on sale

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What's wrong with J. Crew shirts exactly?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Picked up some nice Converse button down shirts from Target for around $10 each on sale. Nicely constructed, good fabric, fit's not as slim as I'd like but if I was that bothered a trip to the tailor could sort this out.

Curious_George

Reaction score
If Jcrew fit you they'd be my suggestion too. They don't seem to work with everyone's body type but I buy them in small and feel they fit the best out of all the mall brands I've tried (including Uniqlo which from my experience are a little too short in the sleeves for me). I haven't yet tried Rugby though so I can't compare them to Jcrew.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
to get a jcrew shirt that fits in the chest I have to size down. doing so makes the collars FAr too small. combine that with their short ass, wimpy nature (I buy button down collars for a roll) and their weak as **** "oxford" cloth which is paper napkin thin, and the shirts eat dick

~Stangzorized~

Reaction score
lmao, what the **** are you talking about? JCrew button-downs are awesome for the price...

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
nope. I hate to blow someones mind here, and as much as I love j crew, but those shirts are made to sell at $40, not the $80 on the website. and they're not even nice for a $40 shirt. I can get equivalent fabric and fits from target merona for $19.99. try a shirt made of a real heavy oxford cloth, with a substanial collar with a nice roll, and j crew will look like the crap it is in your eyes

cs1

Reaction score
How LE, regular price is a whopping $19.99 and they come in a tailored fit. Hyde Park is about $30 and very nice quality. The regular fit is a little big if you're slim.

Deluks917

Reaction score
H & M fits slimmer. If you are slim buy H & M. Most of the time you won't get a tailor who can do much more then hem a shirt.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
nope. I hate to blow someones mind here, and as much as I love j crew, but those shirts are made to sell at $40, not the $80 on the website. and they're not even nice for a $40 shirt. I can get equivalent fabric and fits from target merona for $19.99. try a shirt made of a real heavy oxford cloth, with a substanial collar with a nice roll, and j crew will look like the crap it is in your eyes

I agree they're overpriced at full retail. But then just about everything seems like it is these days. That is, I remember a time I could get a great shirt for under 50 bucks and it was three times the quality of a J. Crew shirt. So, I don't know. I'd never buy anything from J. Crew at full retail.

At the same time, if you can wear J. Crew with a bit of irony, that would be cool. Like, yah, I know I'm wearing a cheap J. Crew shirt, and I KNOW I'm wearing a cheap J. Crew shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads