• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business meeting pick-ups

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
There is a definite mold of heteronormalcy that I often find quite hard to deal with even as a straight man so I know where why and rach are coming from. Scripted scenarios for interraction and normative weight can put a strain on my tolerance of "the other" as surely as say, an unkempt mollusk.

Welcome the Mollusk, in all its endearments.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Welcome the Mollusk, in all its endearments.
It has but one endearment, mon ami, which is that about halfway along its mortal path, it will give up and stop working entirely.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Realistically they don't, but necessarily they do. I think my main issue with gays at the moment is that they're...well, gay. Homosexuality isn't a big issue to me and doesn't carry to same societal connotation that 'gay' does. When people think of 'gay' they think of George Michael, Richard Simmons, effeminacy, and lisps. They're generalizations that don't bother me personally, but because other people may be bothered by gays and their conceptualization of what 'gay' is it does create issues within larger social circles and ultimately social dynamics. Homosexual couples are not something that's accepted (see bans on homosexual marriage under the guise of 'marriage' semantics). Most people will say they don't care about homosexuals and treat them like anyone else, but the reality is that there's a deeply-ingrained aversion that most people can't shake. It's the social version of NIMBY, if you will.

I personally think the gay community shoots themselves in the foot with pride meetings, parades, and such. The rampant hedonism and constant overt sexuality is a big turn-off to the gay community for me personally, but my main reason for generally only dating women is strictly biological.

Dude you sound like a self hating ****.

Grow a pair of balls and forget what society's concept of gay is. Be who you are. Saying the gay community shoots itself in the foot with parades and stuff is rather marsupialed. Do you always check with society before you do anything? You are like that dad in American Beauty.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc

Just SEE who gives you a better *******.

That is what ******** are for, all the benefits of a man, but packaged like a woman
teacha.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It has but one endearment, mon ami, which is that about halfway along its mortal path, it will give up and stop working entirely.
Long live the Tomatoes of Nubility!
Originally Posted by edmorel
Dude you sound like a self hating ****.
I thought that's what teh g33k sounded like.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
That is what ******** are for, all the benefits of a man, but packaged like a woman
teacha.gif

So you mean the next time I need two boards nailed together or a jar opened, I should call the ******-handyman?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Long live the Tomatoes of Nubility!
I've long applauded the ToN's of Anthony Quinn, who fathered daughter Antonia when he was nearly 70. You go, Tony. Rawwwr.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
There is a definite mould of heteronormalcy that I often find quite hard to deal with even as a straight man so I know where why and rach are coming from.
In my experience, women are more determined by that mould. But still, they can be enlightened.
Originally Posted by thekunk07
no such thing as bi in my opinion. just an uncommitted **** (nothing wrong with ****).
That's wrong. Ultimately, it's a matter of definition, though. Many gays don't like to acknowledge bisexuality, and they have a point. Indeed, identifying as "bi" is often used by some closeted gays. And you can also say that militant bisexuals have an annoying superiority complex ("I don't care about the sex, I love the person" is a quote that is just a way to show everybody else how limited they are). Some gays even resent the free-riding lifestyle that bis can enjoy (enjoying heterosexual normalcy while enjoying the benefits of a gay alternative lifestyle when they want). None of those reasons strike me as sufficient to deny reality though. There are "bisexuals" out there, by any reasonable definition of the term.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edmorel and Rach are making a lot of sense on this thread.

Personally, I wonder about how important it is to decide whether we are straight or gay or bi. I don't a relationship with a category. I have a relationship with an actual person. When you find someone you feel truly close to with, really desire, and trust, you'll know. It must be hard to feel that your affective life and your sex life are not in synch.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe

Personally, I wonder about how important it is to decide whether we are straight or gay or bi. I don't a relationship with a category. I have a relationship with an actual person. When you find someone you feel truly close to with, really desire, and trust, you'll know. It must be hard to feel that your affective life and your sex life are not in synch.

But..but.. there often is a pattern to it.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Patterns exist; they are simply the way the mind makes sense of data and organizes the world. Social or discursive categories that have inherent weights and inclusions and exclusions, though, are a different animal entirely.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

Dating's not a crime. We don't care about modus operandi, as the Hardy Boys called it.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my best friend has been my best friend since the age of 4 and is attractive and we share a sense of humor that's very similar but i don;t want ******* anywhere near him. i don't buy the whole falling in live with a person thing.

Originally Posted by philosophe

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patterns exist; they are simply the way the mind makes sense of data and organizes the world. Social or discursive categories that have inherent weights and inclusions and exclusions, though, are a different animal entirely.
I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. Assuming you are approaching the world with a Foucauldian/post-structuralist point of view, you should know that you cannot escape discourse. There is no authenticity/meaning/logos.

Very interesting thread on the whole. Thanks to why for starting it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads