• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dry denim fad..?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the first time I saw that pick I knew it was too much...

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
LOL at peasants finally coming to "their senses."

You really think they came to that conclusion on their own? I think that would be the only definition of "coming to your senses."

Who, meet Sarcasm. Sarcasm, Who.

(if talkin about my comment)

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I replied to Get Smart's question in 2015 with "YEAH IT IS CATCHING ON DAWG", would it be good for a chuckle?

wttm

Reaction score
People blindly buying Raw/Dry/Selvage are just sheeps.
Worst part is, all of a sudden they think washed jeans are not "good" enough.
I'd have to say I did not get into whole selvage jeans thing until 2003 when I accidentaly stumbled upon a pair with red line and started researching on the internet. But, aside from raw I still buy good quailty washed jeans with a nice wash. Seeing people totally ditiching washed jeans because dry is "cool" is sad.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
If I replied to Get Smart's question in 2015 with "YEAH IT IS CATCHING ON DAWG", would it be good for a chuckle?

It might take a page or two before anyone realizes you're bumping a post from 2009.

But then I'd be all like, "
plain.gif
I see what you did there."

And then someone else would be all "Holy necropost, Batman!"

And then we'd all realize how sad our lives are and collectively perform seppaku.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wttm
I'd have to say I did not get into whole selvage jeans thing until 2003 when I accidentaly stumbled upon a pair with red line and started researching on the internet. But, aside from raw I still buy good quailty washed jeans with a nice wash. Seeing people totally ditiching washed jeans because dry is "cool" is sad.

Good washes are not easy to find and often more expensive than they're worth and I'd rather put the money into raw jeans I'll wear 5-6 days a week instead of washed jeans I'll wear once a week. I'll still buy washed jeans if they are decent and on deep discount.

Al-Wahid

Reaction score
If dry denim is a fad would that make washed denim rebellious?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will wear jeans of all sorts. Actually, one of the pair I wear regularly is a pair of non-selvedge Wings+Horns slim fits in the "indigo" wash. The others are all selvedge, and were mostly bought in the raw/rigid state. No need to be dogmatic about this stuff, really.

pridecake

Reaction score

Definitely agree with this. There are people who recommend dry denim as the better jeans in every situation, but washed jeans definitely have their place. Lot of crap to sift through but there's great stuff being produced. And cheaper than raws if you know how to shop

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Seeing people totally ditiching washed jeans because dry is "cool" is sad.
I don't see how. It's just another aesthetic, another style choice. Some just prefer to stick with dark jeans because it is easier to blend in with certain dressier fits than something distressed and therefore wear them like they would a pair of trousers.

I especially don't see how it's "sad" when most people on here will work to achieve a similar look to pre-washed jeans in the end. My train of thought for the past few years has primarily focused on quality and when it comes to picking something washed versus dry the same question slips through my mind, "Well, if it was good enough for my grandparents..."

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone else +1'd you, you're not doing a good enough job at what you think is "sarcasm."

I alter my own clothing and wear Volcom jeans, and I'm callin people 'damn peasants'. Who the hell says that phrase seriously nowadays, anyways.

Come on, Who..... besides, especially you should know stupidity overfloweth on the internet. Cast ye nets and ye shall receiveth....

So.....how 'bout them Steelers?

wttm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Good washes are not easy to find and often more expensive than they're worth and I'd rather put the money into raw jeans I'll wear 5-6 days a week instead of washed jeans I'll wear once a week. I'll still buy washed jeans if they are decent and on deep discount.

Believe it or not, Uniqlo has some pretty good washed jeans IMHO. I got some s-001 that is pretty nice. Might not be "authentic" to some gurus but I like them. Fades, whiskers, and honeycomb are pretty spot on for me.

wttm

Reaction score
I don't see how. It's just another aesthetic, another style choice. Some just prefer to stick with dark jeans because it is easier to blend in with certain dressier fits than something distressed and therefore wear them like they would a pair of trousers.

I especially don't see how it's "sad" when most people on here will work to achieve a similar look to pre-washed jeans in the end. My train of thought for the past few years has primarily focused on quality and when it comes to picking something washed versus dry the same question slips through my mind, "Well, if it was good enough for my grandparents..."

My point is, all a sudden people not liking pre washed denim because the internet/magazine said so is sad. I understand the fact that you want to wear darker denim for another aesthetics. It's like people all of a sudden only look for selvage denims when some non selvage is just as good quality but they don't care cause its not selvage or raw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads