• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
Someone mentioned J Crew, and I will vouch for that.

I just got back from J Crew and picked up one of their oxfords. Looks great. I was surprised that it had a very similar slim fit to BoO, which I tried on at Barney's yesterday. I sized down one from my normal size (to M) at J Crew and sized up (to XL) in BoO.

The trick with J Crew is to find the oxford cloth shirts with the wider shoulders and sufficient arm length to accomodate sizing down. The shoulders vary by model. Some models have narrow shoulders, so sizing down screws up the look. The ones I am talking about retail for about $60 and are on sale now for $50. The sales staff should be able to help if you ask for the wider shoulder oxfords.

This doesn't work for true mediums, smalls and really x-small guys because of the marsupialed proportions on the J Crew shirts and the weird jumps between sizes. Most people my size who are looking for a slim fit would try to size down to an xs in J Crew but the proportions are just off, specifically the neck and sleeves. I suppose the jump between L and M and XL and L isn't quite as ridiculous.

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
the reason this doesn't work is because the neck is way too small if you size down, the body fits fine but you cannot button the neck.

I agree. When I go to a small, it fits fine around the body - but no way I can button up.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the concerns about small neck sizes with J Crew downsizing are legit.

If I tried to button the neck on my new J Crew shirt, my head would turn blue and soon fall off. That's not the look I am going for
smile.gif
So I just don't button it.

southgate house

Reaction score
Where is all of the spring summer 2009 BoO stuff? None of the usual suspects (except for South Willard) seem to have it.

fosho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southgate house
Where is all of the spring summer 2009 BoO stuff? None of the usual suspects (except for South Willard) seem to have it.

Farinelli's got 1/2 of their S/S shipment back in December, and I'm guessing the other half will be there this month.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by southgate house

Mauro got his first shipment back in December and it sold pretty fast, I'd give Farinelli's a shout and see what they have left. I know Hejfina should be getting their stuff in middle of February and they are having a trunk show with Scott Sternberg in April if I remember correctly. Barney's should have some stuff this month too. Hope this helps...

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can afford bOo if you look around during sales seasons. SW for example. All of the shirts that I purchased are 90 bucks. Also from what i check on ebay, the resell value for a used BoO shirt is very high. You can always get your money back for sure if you decide to sell them.

Lysol

Reaction score
I'm still not sure which camp is more annoying the;

"I want a Band of Outsiders style shirt but I don't want to pay more than $15 for it" crew

or the

"Seriously, this **** is made in America and with some serious fabric, I'm just grateful that they'll sell it to me" crowd

I also have a hard time discerning who with the "just go to J. Crew and a tailor" responses is serious and who is in on the joke.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
For as boring, unoriginal, lame, etc.. people say BoO is, there sure are a ton of threads trying to mimic its style.

I think it's just one of those things people love to hate and it's never gonna change...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I don't care about hype or made in america or whatever. I own some shirts and they're nice. That's really all that matters. Same **** with margiela. Sure, margiela's non-runway pieces are rather simple, but details, fit, materials, blah blah blah make me like margiela more than other random cheap brands.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I'm really digging the white & blue OCBD Oxfords. Any chance Gilt will include these in their sale? They seem like the kind of thing that will never go on sale, much like APC NS, etc.. Have you uys ever picked these up on sale? Any places I should browse (I live in NYC)?

Also, I know these are made in America, but what does that really mean? Couldn't they be hiring unskilled Mexican's (not that they are) to do the sewing / construction? I guess this question goes for all made in America clothing.

southgate house

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tooch4321
Mauro got his first shipment back in December and it sold pretty fast, I'd give Farinelli's a shout and see what they have left. I know Hejfina should be getting their stuff in middle of February and they are having a trunk show with Scott Sternberg in April if I remember correctly. Barney's should have some stuff this month too. Hope this helps...

Yes, thanks for the advice! I just want some of this crazy spring summer stuff outside of the shirts and ties. Where are the pants and jackets?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads