• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coloured linings in bespoke/MTM suits

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
FNB...any update on the rabbits mating lining in red for us commoners?
I have, a couple of places weren't interested in putting it into production (Although they loved the idea). I might get a sample length and if that's the case, I'll let you know.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd quite like to get my suits lined in white bemberg, as I've seen a few like this and it's always struck me as a pleasing yet subtle contrast with the charcoal or dark blue suit. However, I'm worried it may get grubby - can anyone comment from experience?

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
I have a specific lining material/color that I use for all my bespoke jackets. Sort of a "signature" thing.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
I'd quite like to get my suits lined in white bemberg, as I've seen a few like this and it's always struck me as a pleasing yet subtle contrast with the charcoal or dark blue suit. However, I'm worried it may get grubby - can anyone comment from experience?
I think dry cleaning and perspiration might indeed yellow this. I also think it would look cheesy and how it could be a subtle contrast with a navy suit escapes my mind's eye.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
subtle contrast with a navy suit escapes my mind's eye.
Well you've got me there, though it's subtle compared to some of the linings described in the rest of the thread - when wearing a white shirt it blends in.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
Well you've got me there, though it's subtle compared to some of the linings described in the rest of the thread - when wearing a white shirt it blends in.
It's subtle compared to a bright color or patterned lining but only in theory. Actually choosing white would tell me that you wanted a colored one but chickened out. A lot of American men will choose a bold pattern if it hasn't any color or a bold color if it hasn't any pattern, so I understand that the hesitation is wides spread. I actually didn't get fancy linings until recently, mostly because I didn't care until recently but I have not noticed a negative reaction to a fancy lining and quite the reverse it is an accepted flourish. Even people that dress like crap or very drably, seem to like the linings. At the worst it starts a conversation about whether you have your clothing specially made. It could be a sign of the times, fancy linings are back in the public eye; bad for the contrarians but good for those who don't like to shock the horses too much. For work suits, except for bright greens (I dont mind a mint, aqua or bottle green) and orange, I dont think there's a color I wouldnt consider.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a navy jacket with an electric white Bemberg lining. Its a year old and has not yellowed at all from perspiration. I have not dry cleaned it yet, though. Of course I brush and steam so I may never dry clean it, merely having it pressed.

The white looks very nice IMO. It shocking but very stomach-able.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads