• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
imo if you walk for 6 hours in new shoes your feet are gonna hurt. period.

um no

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmb
The boots should feel great right off -- one of the benefits of this model is that it's incredibly comfortable...

yes but teger knows all even though he does not and has not owned a pair of these

Reaction score
Greetings

I am looking to purchase a quality pair of men's boots for both the office and dress situations. Prior to this year I had only purchased low quality, relatively cheap men's shoes, but then discovered my love for proper leather soled shoes. I now own two pairs of Allen Edmonds (Park Avenues and Dawsons).

I would like to add a quality pair of men's boots to the collection. I visited the Alden store in San Francisco today, and asked to be shown some boots. He showed me the Chukka Cordovan leather boots in Burgundy. These were a special model with a RUBBER sole that seemed to be attached to a leather sole. You couldn't tell from the top that they were rubber.

They were on sale for over $100 off, making them the same price as the standard Cordovan Chukka boot.

In any event, do you think this is a good style for my first pair of proper boots? Any suggestions?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Happy Highwayman
Greetings

I am looking to purchase a quality pair of men's boots for both the office and dress situations. Prior to this year I had only purchased low quality, relatively cheap men's shoes, but then discovered my love for proper leather soled shoes. I now own two pairs of Allen Edmonds (Park Avenues and Dawsons).

I would like to add a quality pair of men's boots to the collection. I visited the Alden store in San Francisco today, and asked to be shown some boots. He showed me the Chukka Cordovan leather boots in Burgundy. These were a special model with a RUBBER sole that seemed to be attached to a leather sole. You couldn't tell from the top that they were rubber.

They were on sale for over $100 off, making them the same price as the standard Cordovan Chukka boot.

In any event, do you think this is a good style for my first pair of proper boots? Any suggestions?

Like these from Alden of Carmel?
AF18_view03.jpg

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...ka_Boot_80.htm
It's called a commando sole.

I'd be all over them if I was looking for a Chukka.

There's also the plantation sole. I don't like it myself.
AF94_4.JPG

JO3B

Reaction score
psa

alden on madison is having a $30 off sale on calf, $50 on cordo.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Like these from Alden of Carmel?
AF18_view03.jpg

http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...ka_Boot_80.htm
It's called a commando sole.

I'd be all over them if I was looking for a Chukka.

1. What are the advantages of the commando sole?

2. I was looking for something good for formal or casual wear, so I'm guessing the rubber addition makes this sort of wrong for the office.

3. My local Alden shop only has a couple of styles of boots, think I'd have to ask about ordering other styles? The site you linked has many more styles.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Happy Highwayman
1. What are the advantages of the commando sole?

2. I was looking for something good for formal or casual wear, so I'm guessing the rubber addition makes this sort of wrong for the office.

3. My local Alden shop only has a couple of styles of boots, think I'd have to ask about ordering other styles? The site you linked has many more styles.

The main advantage of the commando sole is you don't slip and fall on wet surfaces.

Alden of Carmel (oddly enough located near Seattle) is a Style Forum favorite source of Aldens. They're a pleasure to deal with and offer combinations that can't be found elsewhere.
Also check out Leather Soul Hawaii which is another SF favorite source.
The Shoe Mart is another source.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
The main advantage of the commando sole is you don't slip and fall on wet surfaces. Alden of Carmel (oddly enough located near Seattle) is a Style Forum favorite source of Aldens. They're a pleasure to deal with and offer combinations that can't be found elsewhere. Also check out Leather Soul Hawaii which is another SF favorite source. The Shoe Mart is another source.
Thanks for info about Alden of Carmel's location. All this time I thought they were in California so I didn't order so I could avoid the hefty sales tax. Now nothing is holding me back...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Funny thing is that Alden of Carmel didn't charge me sales tax when I ordered from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads