• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
GS, is there any difference with the feel of the Tredairs? I should have mine in a week, just curious.

Not that I can recall, no. There was something about Tredair (that I forget now) that made them really good. something to do with the factory those were made in or something that was better than Docs (which at the time were only MIE)

Despot

Reaction score
I have a pair of the black 8 eye ones. I found em at a thrift store perfect fit for 30 bucks and they were like brand new. If it wasnt for such luck I would never have them. THey are really comfortable for boots. I don't wear them very much because I tend to get sick of them as they just look like regular boots and don't in my opinion at much style to what I wear. Maybe I just suck though. I think a "What to wear with Docs" would be dope.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despot
...I think a "What to wear with Docs" would be dope.

anything really. but if you want to look sharp (no, not S.H.A.R.P.) pair them with slim jeans with a nice 2" cuff to show them off, so cuff em high. I usually opt for a nice button down if I'm on my own time but for work, t-shirts work fine. sweaters in the cold. the FIRST thing I do with new docs is swap out the dull ass black laces for white. style for miles. and keep them shined.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
swap out the dull ass black laces for white. style for miles. and keep them shined.

+1

And don't forget the proper lacing...

f760_1.JPG

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
but should a "normal guy" lace his boots with white laces without getting an unwanted tag?

I def agree they need to be shown so a higher than normal hem is a good start. Almost any shirt works as long as the jeans are in synch with the docs. any kind of stacking or break with Docs is a surefire way of killing the look.

+million on keeping them shined. Nothing worse than beat up looking docs. I shine mine after every wear and in time they really get a nice patina. For being corrected grain leather, it does take a shine very nicely.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
i don't really wear docs anymore, and I never wore them to achieve the same look as you GS, but I thought certain docs look alright beat to hell. I had a pair of basic 8 hole brown docs all through high school I never once polished them and they took on a different sort of patina, but a nice patina IMO.

I had no idea they were docs until someone asked me where I got 'those docs'.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
but should a "normal guy" lace his boots with white laces without getting an unwanted tag?

I would say no but just to give people an idea of how to make them look better i threw that in. I would think you could do maybe something in a different color to avoid the dreaded "code" as people believe it. but I just cant stand the look of black laces in my boots anymore.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My loafers came in, gotta return them for my usual DM size as I tried getting my normal UK size in these but they run small like the 1460s.
frown.gif

They look great (oxblood ones) and it was nice to see they are Made in England, as the website didnt specify the origin.

amnesiac

Reaction score
i finally got around to sno sealing and polishing up my black chrome excel docs last night. you were right jason, the leather is fantastic. so much thicker than my regular 1460s. dm for life also, has anyone seen the new For Life line? they're guaranteeing these boots for life. i like that kind of dedication to the brand image and heritage. I also like the price (150 for 1460)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ that's cool. Wonder why they dont do the oxblood "for life"

It's a good offer but I actually like replacing mine after they've worn out

dave

Reaction score
yeah, oxblood is the obvious choice for the "for life" boot I would think.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the only thing I'd want a "for Life" guarantee on is my car!

and appliances

my computer

actually a lot of things, but my boots arent one of them

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MIE Oxbloods came in today - it's been years since I broke in a new pair of 1460s, good god I forgot how stiff they are out of the box.

Asha'man

Reaction score
How wide do 1460s tend to run? I have ridiculously wide and flat feet and custom orthotic insoles that I have to wear to even function. Are the stock DM insoles removable to give more clearance for mine? And again, how wide? Like EE or more would be ideal.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think they're on the wide side but I'm in between sizes so I get the size up and add an insole for a good fit. I'd imagine the stock insole is removable but I havent ever tried to take it out

Maybe you can size up to add your custom insole

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics