• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's resurrect this thread!

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually never drink beer at home but when socializing at a pub it's usually Kilkenny or Guinness. A nice german one would be Köstritzer.
6875_0.jpg

Just can't stand the regular kinds of beer. Always wondered how I can drink one Bohemia or Presidente after the other when on vacation in Republica Dominicana but at home even resist to drink one.

Domindart

Reaction score
Blue moon is good. add a orange and its great
corona is good. with a lime is fine here too
heineken is great
stella artois is great
420 is great
harp is okay
red stripe is good, this is from jamaca I think

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Domindart
Blue moon is good. add a orange and its great
corona is good. with a lime is fine here too
heineken is great
stella artois is great
420 is great
harp is okay
red stripe is good, this is from jamaca I think

Taste Fail

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried this last night at the neighborhood pub. It's good.
spatenoptimator.jpg

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite is Chimay, especially the grand reserve. I also like Orval, Duvel, Koningshoven and a few other Trappist ales.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got recommendations for nice, darker beers?

I'm pretty disgusted by the generic, light beer, tasteless variety that everyone chugs constantly and
I'd like to start drinking some beers that are actually enjoyable. I realize that Guinness is overrated in terms of beer, but I don't want to waste money/time messing around with random brands that might not be any better.

So, what should I try out? Also something that can be attainable in places like QFC/Safeway/Trader Joes.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
^If you can get Okanagan springs black lager, that is a good gateway beer for darker stuff. It's very drinkable. You can then move on to things like Young's chocolate stout, Rogue Imperial stout, etc.

I think I might have seen some Rogue Imperial at QFC and I'd certainly like to try some chocolate stout.

My friend who went on a trip to Germany really recommends Delerium, Troll, and Chimay, but I'm not sure how available they are in the states. I need to start compiling a list...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpmac7
you cant go wrong with shiner

Originally Posted by ToruOkada
Tried this last night at the neighborhood pub. It's good.
http://grayhunter.files.wordpress.co...noptimator.jpg

+1 to both. Definitely 2 of the better macro beers.

Originally Posted by Lel

I'm pretty disgusted by the generic, light beer, tasteless variety that everyone chugs constantly and
I'd like to start drinking some beers that are actually enjoyable. I realize that Guinness is overrated in terms of beer, but I don't want to waste money/time messing around with random brands that might not be any better.

So, what should I try out? Also something that can be attainable in places like QFC/Safeway/Trader Joes.

Find somewhere that sells beer singles, instead of 6/12 packs. Then try out the recommendations in this thread, or if you have time, look at www.beeradvocate.com

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel

Well these arent necessarily "dark" beers but they are packed with flavor, delicious, very drinkable, and readily available. In your case the first beer I would recommend is

1) Sam Adams Boston Lager. Although, it's about as available as the gross light beers you speak of it is a phenomenal beer that can be had almost anywhere that is very drinkable.

2) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - Delicious, flavorful, and a hoppy finish that will introduce you that pungent flavor that people rave about.

3) Anchor Liberty Ale

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few seasonal favorites.

img1004tj7.jpg

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Anyone got recommendations for nice, darker beers? I'm pretty disgusted by the generic, light beer, tasteless variety that everyone chugs constantly and I'd like to start drinking some beers that are actually enjoyable. I realize that Guinness is overrated in terms of beer, but I don't want to waste money/time messing around with random brands that might not be any better. So, what should I try out? Also something that can be attainable in places like QFC/Safeway/Trader Joes.
That English Ale that they have in every restaurant: BAssAle is decent. If you don't like light beer you prolly drank Bud Light ... Lager or Pilsner beers are great but only from Checkoslovakia ,Germany or Denmark. Avoid microbrews unless you like ****** sweet beer. And for god sake avoid anything that was brewed in Boston.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
1) Sam Adams Boston Lager. Although, it's about as available as the gross light beers you speak of it is a phenomenal beer that can be had almost anywhere that is very drinkable.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads