• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I just think moreso than anything that my distaste for what I consider shallow and uncaring responses is being falsely masqueraded around as insensitivity toward death and specifically the loss of gabby's mother.

What comments do you consider out of line?

This one-
Originally Posted by why
Since you brought it up...

Fake suicide: Woe is me! (takes pills)
Real suicide: I love you all. (stands on chair, ties noose around neck, takes pills)

Do you really consider this funny?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
This one- Do you really consider this funny?
Did I act like it was funny? The fact that you think this is a joking matter to me further proves my point that you can't see what I'm trying to say at face value. You're adding a personal spin to this because you added personal comments to the thread. We've already been over this before in this thread. Not only did you invite that response after I clearly made a point about not wanting to say it, but I also edited the comments out a while ago.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow. Just read the thread. Not sure how why's comments could be read as anything besides dickheadish. Still, JB, you are maybe the first one who hijacked the thread. I'm saddened to hear you have attempted what you stated, as you strike me as a very put-together and mature fellow (not that these are mutually exclusive things, what would I know?). Stating what you stated might have best been conveyed in a PM, and would have avoided at least some of the back-and-forth that now dominate the thread.

In any event, I'm sure the OP is feeling just great having read what his post spawned. Good times.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
but I also edited the comments out a while ago.

Which is appreciated, but you requested that I quote what I found offensive about it, and I did. Apparently you have a way of thinking about this topic that I and other posters do not understand, and I'm not going to argue with you about it. If you want to do it via PM, go right ahead and send me one, but I see no point in clogging up Trans Mod with this crap.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know if I missed things that got edited down, but I think I'm with why on this. You post this stuff on SF, it becomes what it becomes. If the OP wanted his thread pristine, he shouldn't have sent it out into the world.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
as you were Gents....if you want to start a suicide appreciation thread, go ahead. Please keep it 1/ out of trans mod and 2/ not in any way offensive to the personal tragedy that has just befallen one of our members.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Having lost my father to suicide when I was 6, this discussion makes me sad and angry. It's obvious from some of the callous comments here that most of you haven't the vaguest idea of how devastating the suicide of a parent is. It's certainly no joking matter and not an occasion for some of the appalling remarks I've read here and on the thread in question.

As for expressing condolences, it's simply the decent thing to do. When my mother died unexpectedly of a sudden heart attack last April, many people on SF offered their sympathies. Even small expressions like "sorry to hear of your loss" helped. A few members PMed me their condolences. It helped buoy my spirits when I was close to complete emotional collapse. In particular, Globetrotter (whom I've met in person) got in touch every couple of days to ask how I was doing and offer his support. It's hard to exaggerate how much I appreciated his consideration and still do.

I hate to think how Gabby feels having to endure comments like Why's and the ensuing pigpile when he had the courage to share the tragic story of his mother's suicide. Again, the entire discussion makes me sad and angry -- fighting-back-tears sad and angry.
frown.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Having lost my father to suicide when I was 6, this discussion makes me sad and angry. It's obvious from some of the callous comments here that most of you haven't the vaguest idea of how devastating the suicide of a parent is. It's certainly no joking matter and not an occasion for some of the appalling remarks I've read here and on the thread in question.

As for expressing condolences, it's simply the decent thing to do. When my mother died unexpectedly of a sudden heart attack last April, many people on SF offered their sympathies. Even small expressions like "sorry to hear of your loss" helped. A few members PMed me their condolences. It helped buoy my spirits when I was close to complete emotional collapse. In particular, Globetrotter (whom I've met in person) got in touch every couple of days to ask how I was doing and offer his support. It's hard to exaggerate how much I appreciated his consideration and still do.

I hate to think how Gabby feels having to endure comments like Why's and the ensuing pigpile when he had the courage to share the tragic story of his mother's suicide. Again, the entire discussion makes me sad and angry -- fighting-back-tears sad and angry.
frown.gif

Sorry to to hear the Red, I never knew.
I'm glad I missed the thread you mentioned. Why has always been particularly useless.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I truly don't understand why it bothers anyone if someone offers condolences or if someone mentions that they are saddened about the lost of another. If you don't want to offer any condolences, then just don't post anything. I love breaking balls and joking around but I am not going to act stupid in that type of thread just to get a point across. I also thought JB showed very poor taste in posting his comment and then getting upset with people when they called him on it. I know and typically agree with the "if you post it on the internet, be prepared for anything" mentality but we should still act as compassionate adults occasionally. I did not post anything because truthfully, I've never had any interaction with the poster, have been lucky to not know anyone in a similar circumstance and can't say that I really felt anything more than I would if I had heard about the story on the news but I wasn't going to **** up his thread for my amusement.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand that this is an important and sensitive subject for many here. However, this is not the right thread on which to post about it. Please heed M@T's post, and start a thread elsewhere if you need to. Please do not discuss the matter here further. Thanks,

Fok.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling oppressed by the heavy handed moderation.

No moderation without representation.

K

X-It

Reaction score
I would like to thank you guys for making me feel better today.

I can't believe it that just by reading threads (DT of course, where else, huh?!) I almost forgot how sick I really am this last couple days.

Thank you very much.
worship.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I understand that this is an important and sensitive subject for many here. However, this is not the right thread on which to post about it. Please heed M@T's post, and start a thread elsewhere if you need to. Please do not discuss the matter here further. Thanks,

Fok.

I'm serious. This thread is not to be derailed and further. I've already had to delete one post. The next person is going to get themselves a few days in the can.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I'm feeling oppressed by the heavy handed moderation.

No moderation without representation.

K

You can start a thread in CE on "Justice vs. Order" which will be transported to Dumb Threads after a while.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To have the last word in this matter, and to sate my didactic urges, I am going to ask all of you to read Marshall McLuhan's thoughts on "retribalization." I think that the man was pretty prescient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads