• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
We all have awful life situations. They suck and sadly, that's life. It's not all unicorns and rainbows. Sympathy is fine, understanding is good, but automatic passes and just a lot of hand holding and petting make situations WORSE and not better. Nobody wants to be cold and unloving, but at the same time, we don't want to be enabling unhealthy emotional attitudes and immaturity."

I don't have a problem with this view, but that's not how he expressed it:

Originally Posted by why
Since you brought it up...

Fake suicide: Woe is me! (takes pills)
Real suicide: I love you all. (stands on chair, ties noose around neck, takes pills)

Originally Posted by why
Being suicidal doesn't make the person intellectually marsupialed.

Is this considered acceptable? Apparently why thinks it is all a game.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree his point is valid, but he seems to be going out of his way to make it in the most offensive way possible (though that is classic Why style). Still I think his point would be more effectively and respectfully taken if he at least started a different thread to deal with different theories of grieving and what he considers coddling.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not about what he's saying, and it's not even about how he's saying it (although he is being his usual asswipe), it is about where he is saying it. rach, robin - what would you think of someone launching into this kind of argument at a funeral or a wake?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also find posting personal/private matters on the internet to be odd as well.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I also find posting personal/private matters on the internet to be odd as well.

But we're a family here!!!!!
laugh.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
But neither of you have souls.
I didn't post on that thread for a reason, but I DO think that the enabling of unhealthy emotional attitudes or self-serving parasitic behaviors do more damage than good. I'm not saying that is happening on that thread at all, but I AM saying that the "automatic pass" that ANYBODY on the interwebz gets with these discussions isn't always healthy. I love you guys, but for REAL life problems, I'm going to someone IRL whom I know and trust... or, better yet... a PROFESSIONAL. Why do this online/anonymous stuff? I have never gotten that and don't see how it could help at all. DISCLAIMER: I don't think, necessarily, that I would have chosen to make THAT thread the platform on which I would have voiced that argument, but just because why DID choose that doesn't make his statement less valid overall. EDIT: gdl203, yes, I see your point for sure. I just don't think that because he DID choose to do it there warrants any legislative action against him.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's his general behavior. argues about everything and insinuates himself into everything. can you imagine doing business with him? i hope his business isn't motivational speaking.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't post on that thread for a reason, but I DO think that the enabling of unhealthy emotional attitudes or self-serving parasitic behaviors do more damage than good.

I'm not saying that is happening on that thread at all, but I AM saying that the "automatic pass" that ANYBODY on the interwebz gets with these discussions isn't always healthy.

I don't think, necessarily, that I would have chosen to make THAT thread the platform on which I would have voiced that argument, but just because why DID choose that doesn't make his statement less valid overall.

This is true, although I personally think that the OP's loss of his mother is worthy of grieving. Either way apparently we've all been spoiling why's party in the thread, so I have no further plans to post in it.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
But we're a family here!!!!!
laugh.gif

If you want to do the deed just jump out of a plane or into one of those jet engines. That would be an epic way to "walk away from it all" IMO. Just brainstorming.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't post on that thread for a reason, but I DO think that the enabling of unhealthy emotional attitudes or self-serving parasitic behaviors do more damage than good.

I'm not saying that is happening on that thread at all, but I AM saying that the "automatic pass" that ANYBODY on the interwebz gets with these discussions isn't always healthy.

I don't think, necessarily, that I would have chosen to make THAT thread the platform on which I would have voiced that argument, but just because why DID choose that doesn't make his statement less valid overall.

Does that fact that he has a valid argument grant him immunity from consequences? Hell, AF had a valid point in the post he made that got him timed out, but it was the way that he said it that got him in trouble.

note* - I do not agree with AF, just using him as an example here.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
If you want to do the deed just jump out of a plane or into one of those jet engines. That would be an epic way to "walk away from it all" IMO. Just brainstorming.

It's been considered but I do not want to disrupt airport operations.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
This is true, although I personally think that the OP's loss of his mother is worthy of grieving.
All loss is worthy of grieving and all loss is tragic, but what good does blanket "Grieving" do for the person? How does knowing that a bunch of anonymous men on teh interwebz "grieving" for your loved one fix anything? It's too damn easy. My loved ones who have passed are too valuable to get a "Oh, I'm sorry for you" that you forget in five minutes. that's the point... nobody on that thread is really crying over the guy and taking it home with them. I've lost my share of friends and family, some quickly, some so slowly that prayed every day that they'd just die and end their misery. They're worth more than just, "I'm sorry for you." THAT'S my issue with "interwebz grieving."
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Does that fact that he has a valid argument grant him immunity from consequences? Hell, AF had a valid point in the post he made that got him timed out, but it was the way that he said it that got him in trouble. note* - I do not agree with AF, just using him as an example here.
I definitely see your point, though I don't think the situations are parallel. I don't think that why posted that to be incendiary or to create a debate... I think he just saw the blanket pass given in the same way it's given on EVERY FORUM ON TEH INTERWEBZ and intellecually, morally, and ethically dishonest. But, again, I don't know why personally and have never spoken with him, so I can't speak for him. I'm just giving my opinion.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All loss is worthy of grieving and all loss is tragic, but what good does blanket "Grieving" do for the person? How does knowing that a bunch of anonymous men on teh interwebz "grieving" for your loved one fix anything?

It's too damn easy. My loved ones who have passed are too valuable to get a "Oh, I'm sorry for you" that you forget in five minutes. that's the point... nobody on that thread is really crying over the guy and taking it home with them.

I've lost my share of friends and family, some quickly, some so slowly that prayed every day that they'd just die and end their misery. They're worth more than just, "I'm sorry for you."

THAT'S my issue with "interwebz grieving."

I don't know the OP personally, but maybe he doesn't have anyone to go to about it. It's not like this is the first thread that has involved personal grieving (although not as serious as this situation) on SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads