• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Events and PSA thread

uppercase

Reaction score
I'd love to have a suit made by Solito/Ambrosi, two of Naples' top names in bespoke clothing, but a few considerations would give me pause:
---Solito's silhouette. What you see in the picture is his default silhouette.
It is blousy and drapey and full. I'd call it sloppy drape.
It is the same silhouette which I saw on Maurizio Marinella and on a Neapolitan friend of mine who is a Solito client. You've got to like that shape going into game because that is what you'll get, particularly since you are only going to get one forward fitting before the final coat is delivered. I haven't seen a coat by Solito as fitted as pictured by Vox; Vox, was that suit made for you?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uppercase
I haven't seen a coat by Solito as fitted as pictured by Vox; Vox, was that suit made for you?

No, it was not made for me...nevertheless, it was indeed made with a clean chest for the client (judging from photographs)...but it is likely that my chest is cleaning it up even further!

For those of you thinking about this, there are few people with greater familiarity with Naples than Uppercase, so you would do well to pay attention to what he is describing.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
For those of you thinking about this, there are few people with greater familiarity with Naples than Uppercase, so you would do well to pay attention to what he is describing.

+1

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it was not made for me...nevertheless, it was indeed made with a clean chest for the client (judging from photographs)...but it is likely that my chest is cleaning it up even further!

- B

Seriously, or is this sarcasm? can't tell. something tells me the latter.

uppercase

Reaction score
--sorry, my above post went off incomplete; here's the full post:

I'd love to have a suit made by Solito/Ambrosi, two of Naples' top names in bespoke clothing, but a few considerations would give me pause:
He is wearing the same silhouette which I saw on Maurizio Marinella and also on a Neapolitan friend of mine who is a Solito client. You've got to like that shape going into game because that is what you'll get, particularly since you are only going to get one forward fitting before the final coat is delivered. I haven't seen a coat by Solito as fitted as pictured by Vox; Vox, was that suit made for you?
I also wouldn't expect a product along the lines of what Rubinacci produced for iammatt and mafoofan. Those clothes were produced after numerous fittings and iterations done in Naples. Rubinacci's silhouette is different and their level of conscientiousness and precision is much higher; Solito's work and silhouette is more regional and does not have the polish of Rubinacci.
----Solito's reliability. Solito does not produce work on time. My friend eventually left Solito because his clothes were not remotely produced on time nor were appointments kept. And this is for an Italian client who need only drive around the corner to Solito's sartoria in Naples. Is it realistic to expect delivery of a forward fitting coat in March? Allowances need to be made.

I've grown to enjoy Naples, its culture, people and traditions and would not want any artisan to get needlessly bashed. You just need to be aware of the potential pitfalls and avoid disappointments because of misplaced and unrealistic expectations, and adjust. It's best to go into this with eyes wide open, understanding what you'll likely be getting and the time frame, and to make some measured allowances beforehand.

Personally, I would go ahead and commission a suit from Solito/Ambrosi if I were in NYC just for the chance to have something made by these two Neapolitan icons. But again, I am not expecting the sun, the moon and the star.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Seriously, or is this sarcasm? can't tell. something tells me the latter.

Not at all sarcastic. UC is probably only among four English-speaking guys on the interwebs who can post with true familiarity about the various Neopolitan makers.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've grown to enjoy Naples, its culture, people and traditions and would not want any artisan to get needlessly bashed. You just need to be aware of the potential pitfalls and avoid disappointments because of misplaced and unrealistic expectations, and adjust. It’s best to go into this with eyes wide open, understanding what you’ll likely be getting and the time frame, and to make some measured allowances beforehand.

Personally, I would go ahead and commission a suit from Solito/Ambrosi if I were in NYC just for the chance to have something made by these two Neapolitan icons. But again, I am not expecting the sun, the moon and the star.

Wisdom.

But keep in mind, this forum is used to dealing with Jantzen!

Not at all sarcastic. UC is probably only among four English-speaking guys on the interwebs who can post with true familiarity about the various Neopolitan makers.

And he knows Savile Row, to boot!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
deleted for misdirected snark

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
deleted for misdirected snark

Redirecting it in the right direction would have been much more interesting than deletion.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering Solito is teamed up with Ambrosi, perhaps this is the appropriate time to ask

Has anyone ever used Ambrosi to make their suit trousers?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It is blousy and drapey and full.

This is encouraging.

----Solito’s reliability. Solito does not produce work on time. My friend eventually left Solito because his clothes were not remotely produced on time nor were appointments kept. And this is for an Italian client who need only drive around the corner to Solito’s sartoria in Naples. Is it realistic to expect delivery of a forward fitting coat in March? Allowances need to be made.
This, not so much ...

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Considering Solito is teamed up with Ambrosi, perhaps this is the appropriate time to ask

Has anyone ever used Ambrosi to make their suit trousers?

Yes.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He is wearing the same silhouette which I saw on Maurizio Marinella and also on a Neapolitan friend of mine who is a Solito client. You've got to like that shape going into game because that is what you'll get, particularly since you are only going to get one forward fitting before the final coat is delivered. I haven't seen a coat by Solito as fitted as pictured by Vox; Vox, was that suit made for you?

I've seen ones just as fitted from Solito, often worn by Salvatore Ambrosi. Remember, this is the younger Solito coming, so his eye could be a bit different, and I am not sure what he does. My guess is narrower, but who knows.
I also wouldn't expect a product along the lines of what Rubinacci produced for iammatt and mafoofan. Those clothes were produced after numerous fittings and iterations done in Naples. Rubinacci's silhouette is different and their level of conscientiousness and precision is much higher; Solito's work and silhouette is more regional and does not have the polish of Rubinacci.
Truth. That said, a good client can make the difference. What you get from Rubinacci, in many ways, is a "good client" in Mariano who demands the best of the tailor.
----Solito's reliability. Solito does not produce work on time. My friend eventually left Solito because his clothes were not remotely produced on time nor were appointments kept. And this is for an Italian client who need only drive around the corner to Solito's sartoria in Naples. Is it realistic to expect delivery of a forward fitting coat in March? Allowances need to be made.
Very true. Ambrosi is quite good, though, so maybe he is the one to take this up with. He can prod them along.

I've grown to enjoy Naples, its culture, people and traditions and would not want any artisan to get needlessly bashed. You just need to be aware of the potential pitfalls and avoid disappointments because of misplaced and unrealistic expectations, and adjust. It's best to go into this with eyes wide open, understanding what you'll likely be getting and the time frame, and to make some measured allowances beforehand.
More good advice.

Me too. Probably an overcoat rather than a suit, though. This only because I have the foo-disease of liking to have same things the same.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Truth. That said, a good client can make the difference. What you get from Rubinacci, in many ways, is a "good client" in Mariano who demands the best of the tailor.

That is a succinct and useful observation.

If you don't have a guy like that in the room, you had better be prepared to be that guy yourself. And let's face it: that is unlikely with most guys.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads