• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

Sebastian

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Caruso for Purple Label stuff (I recently bought two jackets) is made to a higher or equal standard compared to the Black label stuff. Also how does the quality compare to the Saints Andrews for RLPL line?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have added the following details to my original post after a thorough examination of my RLBL suit. RLBL 'Anthony' model: - Hand-ticked lapels & pockets - Hand-padded collars - Machine-made buttonholes - Full canvas construction - Moderate-strong shoulder padding - Slight-moderate rope - Strongly tapered fit (drop 7) - No faux buttonhole stitching on cuffs, no surgeon's cuff - Dyed horn buttons It would be fantastic if someone else could examine their RLPL, PRL, etc suits so that we can come up with a baseline for comparison. Instructions on how to do so can be found on member jeffereyd's blog.

yerrow

Reaction score
may as well take of the lauren and chaps info, because they really aren't considered real RL product. its not sold in the retail stores and barely registers a blip on the internal corporate level

zenga

Reaction score
Please also include information on who makes the shirts. As far as I am aware RLPL is made by Lorenzini. Who makes the RLBL shirts?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cashmere blend Green Label suits on STP are a great value.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For completion's sake and in response to numerous PMs (and since I cannot edit the OP), the (now discontinued) Ralph Lauren Signature Line (made by Corneliani) had blue labels with 'RALPH LAUREN' (all capital letters). No sign of the word 'Polo' on it.

That's how you differentiate it from PRL, as both have blue labels.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
Does anyone know if the Caruso for Purple Label stuff (I recently bought two jackets) is made to a higher or equal standard compared to the Black label stuff. Also how does the quality compare to the Saints Andrews for RLPL line?
Bit late, but: 1. I cannot distinguish any difference from RLBL, but the pieces I've seen/compared are quite dissimilar (RLPL cashmere odd jackets + DBs vs RLBL SB jackets/suits) 2. I'd venture a tad lower than St. Andrews for RLPL. Handwork on SA made RLPL is finer, and a little better done IMO.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does that mean the Caruso made purple label item are drop 7 as well, or it's still drop 6 like the rest purple label.

P.S. I was under the impression there is only MTM purple lable suit left, but seems like there are still a few RTW purple lable suit this season as I just went to the mansion today. They have some good deal (waiving cutting fee, 500 credit for another suit if you get MTM, or 50 of every 250 you spend etc).

edit: and yes being the idiot I am, I just decide to browse the purple label stuff without trying them on while I was at the store
tongue.gif
(not even look at the label, as I know they don't have 36 anyway...). My past experience with them is that they have always been too loose for me, so would appreciate some more comment on the slimmer fit purple label stuff.

Originally Posted by apropos
Bit late, but:

1. I cannot distinguish any difference from RLBL, but the pieces I've seen/compared are quite dissimilar (RLPL cashmere odd jackets + DBs vs RLBL SB jackets/suits)
2. I'd venture a tad lower than St. Andrews for RLPL. Handwork on SA made RLPL is finer, and a little better done IMO.

awxg

Reaction score
I think I've read somewhere in SF that Altea makes RLPL ties. Is this correct?

Also, who makes RLBL ties?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The main RLPL by Caruso is to the Caruso Sartoria De Parma standard, which is very very high.
I have an Adriano and Sons suit made by CSDP, which is in my opinion nicer than a RLPL by SA. More hand work, very subtle details, the shoulder treatment is very soft and unstructured. Again, I value that and do not like the SA padded look.
So it really boils down to what you want, if you want a more structred look with stronger shoulders, get the SA RLPL stuff, if you want a soft look get the RLPL by Caruso.

BTW, I have both Sartoria and regular mainline Caruso, there is a difference. I would compare the RLBL and RLPL the same in regards to Caruso. Both are very nice but the RLPL is going to have more handwork and less padding.

water

Reaction score
Are the blue label Corneliani-made suits discontinued?

I recently got my hands on a Jerome IV that fits beautifully. I was hoping to find more...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads