• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good cobbler and shoe shine in London

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have searched for this but can't seem to find a decent answer.

Does anybody know a decent shoe shine stand and cobbler in central London? I have seen the fellow in the Burlington Arcade but have hesitated because it is probably very over priced. There must be a few London members here who trust people with their high end shoes.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Try asking a shoe retailer. C&J, for example, use a local cobbler for simple repairs.

I've used this place:

Kokos
72 High Road
East Finchley
London N2 9PN
020 8883 0876

to install sunk-in metal toe plates on some of my shoes:

Avebury

Reaction score
TKDKid;1650752 said:
Try asking a shoe retailer. C&J, for example, use a local cobbler for simple repairs.

I've used this place:

Kokos
72 High Road
East Finchley
London N2 9PN
020 8883 0876

to install sunk-in metal toe plates on some of my shoes:

Just a thought - the quality shoe makers recommend that your shoes be sent back to the factory for re-soling. Shoes repaired on orginal lasts, looked after, etc. I asked about this in the shop. They said they could be re-soled in town (I assume at the above), or sent back to their factory for repair. Doesn't make sense, if you think about it. Poor advice? Odd, don't you think? The price quoted was (in 2007), if I recall, something along the lines of £70 in town, £100 in the factory.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Obviously you should get the original shoemaker to refurbish your shoes when necessary.

However, C&J don't mind you using other cobblers for reheeling jobs, for example.

For metal toe plates, I try to get the shoemaker (or shoemaker's retail shop) to arrange it where possible in case they later refuse to accept the shoes back for refurbishment. I believe EG are particularly fussy about this kind of thing.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know one a bit more central? I want somewhere that re-heels a shoe with a decent heel, and can put flush metal toe taps on my shoes.

flatfront

Reaction score
I would give John Rushton a bell and see if he knows anyone more central. He must use someone local for his repair service.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In Jermyn Street, Trickers and Foster & Son accept repairs for all shoes (not only their own make).

I do not know if Trickers do the repairs in their Northampton factory, or send them out to some independent contactor. Same applies to Foster, although I would guess, their workshop on the first floor is too small to cope with assorted repair jobs.

But I would presume, the firms they use, will do excellent work.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
In Jermyn Street, Trickers and Foster & Son accept repairs for all shoes (not only their own make).

I do not know if Trickers do the repairs in their Northampton factory, or send them out to some independent contactor. Same applies to Foster, although I would guess, their workshop on the first floor is too small to cope with assorted repair jobs.

But I would presume, the firms they use, will do excellent work.

I think C&J are willing to do so too, but you can call in advance to check.

Also, when I took my Foster & Son RTW shoes to C&J at Royal Exchange to get metal toe plates installed, the manager at C&J said that I could've just gone through F&S since they use the same local cobbler for such jobs.

londonlarge

Reaction score
I know that there are 4 excellent shoe shine stands in Canary Wharf that seem to have been around for years. The staff seem really friendly and the shine is fantastic ! Prices start from £3.
Also i have seen a traditional shoe shine stand in the lobby of Tower 42 (the old Nat West Tower) that is accessible from the street without the need to go through security.

City cobblers on City Road also do a great repair service, reasonably priced.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about a cobbler but I've heard about/seen Justin Fitzpatrick's (aka the Shoe Snob) shine work at Gieves and Hawkes. He's on here as well, but I forget his screen name - maybe Handmade Shoes?

zaxer

Reaction score
Bump for new info, can anyone recommend a trustworthy cobbler in central London?

zaxer

Reaction score
Im looking for a cobbler not a shoe shine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads