• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing 875 vs Classic Lifestyle

synovoid

Reaction score
what's the difference between these two?

I know the lifestyle has leather laces.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the "classic lifestyle" looks to be the 8138 model, which is the same as 875 except for the leather. Both are great. Imo, stay away from the "inspired". Get the "real deal" instead.

captainmo

Reaction score
Are the inspired knockoffs? Zappos lists them under redwing shoes.

I was leaning towards them because of the price...but I understand Red Wings last for years in real work settings. I just need something to wear in cold weather with jeans.

Also, J crew has a variety of classic boots:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8346/88346.jsp

It looks like the only differences are price and the black soles.

Hows Red Wing sizing? I've heard to size down, but not sure how much. Of course - if I'm ordering from zappos I can just order 2-3 pairs and send back what doesn't fit.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Not knock-offs as such, but not the classic boots RW are known for.

I size down one, and get a wide width, but you will probably want to size down atleast .5.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RWI inspired is from Red Wing's crap range. They make a lot of bad shoes. It's cheaper b/c it's an imported "interpretation" of the classic RW boot. Not that it's totally worthless, but don't buy it thinking you're getting a RW work boot.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a pair of 875's right now...I'm not sure what the differences are besides the color/texture of the leather..

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
the "classic lifestyle" looks to be the 8138 model, which is the same as 875 except for the leather. Both are great. Imo, stay away from the "inspired". Get the "real deal" instead.

Just picked up the 'Inspired' (as linked) and I have to argue this point. The leather is supple as hell, but is a lighter weight. The detailing and quality are top-notch. These are more of a summer/fall/spring boot, and definitely not a work-boot. The light weight makes them great walking city boots, but I'm still looking for a waterproof winter pair.

IMO, I wanted a boot, other than my Docs, that I could wear in more seasons than late fall/winter.

They also look to be breaking in really well.

CHenry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by captainmo
Are the inspired knockoffs? Zappos lists them under redwing shoes.

I was leaning towards them because of the price...but I understand Red Wings last for years in real work settings. I just need something to wear in cold weather with jeans.

Also, J crew has a variety of classic boots:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8346/88346.jsp

It looks like the only differences are price and the black soles.

Hows Red Wing sizing? I've heard to size down, but not sure how much. Of course - if I'm ordering from zappos I can just order 2-3 pairs and send back what doesn't fit.

RWI are Chinese-made, but the quality is very good, in many ways better than the 875s. The RWI leather is softer but supposedly waterproof, where the 875 leather is thicker and stiffer, but is not waterproof. The detailing is better on the RWI: cabretta leather upper tongue lining and padded leather collar at the top of the boot, and the RWI has a nice quality quilted fabric liner and comes with a padded insole (the 875 is unlined and has no insole--you have to buy that additional). The 875 is U.S.-made, with a stiffer and heavier leather and the stitchwork is less cleanly done than the asian imports, at least in the examples I have. The white wedge soles seem the same between the two. Out of the box, the RWIs are much more comfortable and hardly need breaking in. They also come in 4 colors and are priced at about half that of the 875. For your money, unless you need the boot for worksite duty, where abrasion resistance is a consideration, the RWI is the way to go, value-for-money-wise.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing these a while back, but the MIC factor turned me off. If quality isn't an issue, I would definitely prefer these to 875s. I've always disliked the bulbous moc toe on the legit Red Wings, and these are a cheaper alternative with the look I would prefer. Right now it's between the RWI and some Eastlands. Do the RWI have a vibram sole as well?

CHenry

Reaction score
Not Vibram in the RWI, but neither are the 875s.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHenry
Not Vibram in the RWI, but neither are the 875s.

If they come in black I'm definitely copping in the spring.

mpcec

Reaction score
Are the Inspireds the same thing as the 8138's or am I just missing something? For whatever it's worth the 8138's are made in the USA, my buddy has some 877's and they are the same quality, just different construction because of height.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads