• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The classic video game thread

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents got me these on one of my birthdays... too bad I don't remember which one.

Tiger-BatmanWatch.jpg

Tiger-Robocop.jpg

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
Super Mario Bros 2 - This came out with the first edition of Nintendo Power. Crazy popular. I think my parents had to sign up weeks in advance at Toys-R-US

Do you have the first issue too? It's at my grandma's somewhere but it's cool. We got the game with it too. Also, nintendo power sent us a copy of Dragon Warrior (original one) for free too. Loved that game. I think we got a copy of final fantasy 1 at some point too. Nintendo power was great early on with freebies.

FiveFiveFive

Reaction score
Those handheld games always sucked, yet I always begged my mom to get me one. Anyone remember this? Such a total waste of money. God bless my mom.
yy7y241.jpg
This one was pretty fun, though, or at least it was when I was 5.
IMG_5033.jpg
Edit: Wait, that game actually sucked. I was trying to find "Copter Commander."

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone who's a fan of Marble Madness: mastery.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Anyway my ancient game of the moment is NBA Jam. You can't beat the Charlotte Hornets with Zo, Larry Johnson, and Muggsy Bogues!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Good to see some more Sierra love. I think i was the only 8 year old in my class to know what a candelabra was. They were pretty damned good for building vocabulary and learning to spell imo.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
King's Quest... I think I remember finding that in our computer drawer at about age 8 and loading it. Never could figure out how to play it. Always really pissed me off, b/c I wanted to.
I acquired King's Quest VII when it came out ('94 or '95?) and played the hell out of it. My uncle introduced to me to Doom 3 around that time, shortly after it had been released. In 5th grade, we somehow managed to get Doom 3 and Wolfenstein 3D onto the classroom computers and would play them during free time or whatever. Our teacher didn't care, but some administrator found out and had the games removed.
frown.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW, Golden Axe is AWESOME.

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest was one of my most-played SNES games.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Genesis game I loved most was Vectorman. The sonic + knuckles / sonic 3 was pretty incredible as well. It isn't exactly retro (only 1995) but the Marathon games still go under Best of All Time right next to System Shock 2 and Deus Ex.

daft

Reaction score
my fav genesis game was the one with michael jackson doing dance moves to destroy the bad guys & he goes around saving crying children. . the moonwalker i think it was.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Moonwalker. Sega sent us that game for free when my Dad found a serious glitch in Super Hangon and called them about it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
My uncle introduced to me to Doom 3 around that time, shortly after it had been released. In 5th grade, we somehow managed to get Doom 3 and Wolfenstein 3D onto the classroom computers and would play them during free time or whatever. Our teacher didn't care, but some administrator found out and had the games removed.
frown.gif

Doom 3 was released 5 years ago buddy. Somehow I thought you were older. Hows Sophomore year of HS treating you?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I acquired King's Quest VII when it came out ('94 or '95?) and played the hell out of it.

My uncle introduced to me to Doom 3 around that time, shortly after it had been released. In 5th grade, we somehow managed to get Doom 3 and Wolfenstein 3D onto the classroom computers and would play them during free time or whatever. Our teacher didn't care, but some administrator found out and had the games removed.
frown.gif

I think KQ3 was the best of the series. Learning spells in the wizard's basement, and trying to do so before he came down and pwned you was awesome fun. I think it was the first game i played in color as well.
laugh.gif

When KQ4 came out with VGA graphics (first ever i think) i begged for a new computer (which cost like 3k+ back then). I can still remember looking at the back of the box at the Compucenter in Square One and drooling. It was such a huge leap from EGA.
laugh.gif

I always preferred these games to the shooting ones and Nintendo b/c they required thinking instead of just reflexes. I don't know if games like that still exist anymore.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UT2k3? At the time that was released I quit professional gaming! No, that's obviously Facing Worlds from the original Unreal Tournament.

Also, inspired by the Star Wars game earlier:

Rebel Assault II, anyone remember the Falcon level in which you had to go through the cave? My dad bought me a joystick because of that - impossible without, amazingly difficult with it.

star_wars__rebel_assault_ii.jpg

Star Wars: Dark Forces. My nephew had this game, I'm still not sure whether this game or doom introduced me to FPS.

darkforc_screen005.jpg

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daft
my fav genesis game was the one with michael jackson doing dance moves to destroy the bad guys & he goes around saving crying children. . the moonwalker i think it was.

Originally Posted by dusty
^^Moonwalker. Sega sent us that game for free when my Dad found a serious glitch in Super Hangon and called them about it.

Moonwalker was a great fun game.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Doom 3 was released 5 years ago buddy. Somehow I thought you were older. Hows Sophomore year of HS treating you?
I meant the original Doom!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads