• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your body fat?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
hey kunk, check supermeatheads

I have changed my current estimate to 14% out of depression

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
I believe there are plenty of people who honestly think their body fat is 4-6%.

Size 28 waist at 5'9 143 lbs with muscle. Abs no flexing. Gotten it tested, its my swimmers genetics.

And its actually around 7%. I lied to see who would challenge me at 4
devil.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From that hilarious t-nation thread, there was actually one post that was one of the better ones I've seen on BF. Forget the calipers. Here is a broadly accurate analysis that I mostly agree with:

On a more serious note, as long as we're discussing judging body fat by eye sight heres a rough guide I got from somewhere or other (probably true) but at the end of the day who cares what number you assign to it what matters is what you look like in the mirror.

1. Full House = No visible muscle definition. Bodyfat level = over 20%.

2. Hard = Some muscle separation appears between delts and upper arm. Abs are still not visible. Approx. bodyfat level = 15-19%

3. Cut = More muscle separation appears particularly in the chest and back, outline of the abs begins to appear slightly. Approx. bodyfat level = 12-14%

4. Defined = Muscle separations get deeper in the arms, chest, legs and back, and abs appear when flexed. Approx. bodyfat level = 10-12%

5. Ripped = Abs are clearly visible all the time, vascularity in arms is prominent, chest and back separation is obvious, and face is starting to appear more angular. Condition can be held indefinitely. Approximate bodyfat level = 7-9%

6. Shredded = Striations appear in large muscle groups when they are flexed. Vascularity appears in lower abdomen and in the legs. Condition can be held for several days with careful dieting. Approximate bodyfat level = 5-7%

7. Sliced = Muscles and tendons begin to appear in the face when chewing, striations appear everywhere and vascularity appears everywhere. Bodyfat levels are close to 3% and subcutaneous water levels are near 0. Condition can only be held for a few hours at a time. Not a healthy condition to stay in due to lower water level.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got one of those scales that measures BF and water level. I'm 10.3% BF and 64.5% water. *shrug

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I got one of those scales that measures BF and water level. I'm 10.3% BF and 64.5% water. *shrug

Isn't that an unhealthily low water %?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, based on the ranges rom Metrostyles, I'm probably around 17.74%

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like that rough guide because it shuts up all the delusional people who think they have sub-10% body fat. Look, if your six-pack isn't showing through nice and clear when you are sitting at a computer, you do NOT have <10% BF. Sorry. Seeing an outline of your abs when you flex in the mirror is different.

skidsm

Reaction score
depending on which caliper method used, i'm between 9% and 11%.

would love to get a submersion test, but i'm too lazy to go do it.

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Isn't that an unhealthily low water %?

I have one of those scales also, and I rarely get over 62%. I drink about 15 cups of water a day, so I don't think it's low, just the way the scales measure.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly I have no idea. I've never taken a measurement of my water before heh. I have a sneaking suspicion though that these 30 dollar Walmart scales aren't the most accurate in the world though.

DrFaustus

Reaction score
I *used* to be around 7%, which was awesome. Due to winter, holidays, and general laziness, I am not sure I want to know at this point.

Berticus

Reaction score
According to the guide MetroStyles' quoted, I'm somewhere between shredded and ripped.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just randomly got measured at the gym. 15%, they say, which is better than I expected. Now please don't go discrediting the Tanita scale and ruin my tiny ego boost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads