• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko Watches - Underrated?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
The recent Seiko Design Project models for me shows how much the brand strives to better themselves. And the models aren't bad at all:

200801mainde5.jpg

I want this.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am especially partial to the Seiko divers, but they have something for everybody. No watchmaker provides more bang for the buck than Seiko. Certain models (SKX007 for example) are icons. The range of different models available is mind boggling when you also look at the Seiko 5 line and the Asia-only lines.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Means it has a quartz movement. It takes a battery

This is true. I've replaced the battery several times (and the crystal once), and gone through a bunch of bands. Is a quartz movement any more/less desireable than a mechanical movement (if that's the right word - the kind you need to wind)? What about the one that winds itself when you move your wrist (self-winding?)?

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
This is true. I've replaced the battery several times (and the crystal once), and gone through a bunch of bands. Is a quartz movement any more/less desireable than a mechanical movement (if that's the right word - the kind you need to wind)? What about the one that winds itself when you move your wrist (self-winding?)?

All depends on what you want. Mechanical movements are generally preferred by watch aficionados for aesthetic reasons, and most people who collect watches collect watches with mechanical movements. But they don't keep time as well as quartz. In fact, the introduction of the quartz movement drove most of the Swiss watchmakers into bankruptcy in late 70's & early 80's.

If you are even asking this question, you probably aren't a watch aficionado, so no real reason for you to move away from quartz. A functioning mechanical watch will cost you at least $500 new, and a good one will cost you at least $1500 new. An Omega or Rolex will gnerally cost much, much more.

That said, there are big differences in quartz movements. When most people think of quartz movements they think of the cheap ones in low-end Chinese watches (Fossil) that have gears made of plastic. There are high-end quart movements as well--good Japanese ones (that you generally can't buy in the US) have an accuracy of -/+ 20 seconds a year, cheaper ones -/+ 20 seconds a month or worse. A top-notch mechanical movement (new/in good repair) will generally have an accuracy of -/+ 3 seconds a day at best, but usually worse. There now also a lot of quartz watches with radio control as well, meaning they are set automatically each day by a radio signal.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in a thin cheap formal watch -- simple face, silver case, no second hand, black leather band... and I keep coming back to the sub-$100 Seikos I find on eBay as an alternative to a run-of-the-mill Skagens. Are there any particular models to keep an eye out for from a wicked-thin standpoint?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Grand Seikos are nice!!

What do they run normally?

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
Those Grand Seikos are nice!!

What do they run normally?

$3500 and up. The dollar is not doing well again the yen right now, though.

agent86a

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I am planning to get this: http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...5_SARB030.html

any feedback is appreciated.

I like that watch a lot, somewhat similar to the SCVS001 that I own, but a bit more elegant. It's a fairly dressy watch and not something I would wear every day. I have been thinking about picking up another Japan model seiko, but the US$ is just too weak against the yen. On the other hand, it's a great time to check out European watches priced in Euros, or British watches priced in pounds.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I am planning to get this: http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...5_SARB030.html

any feedback is appreciated.

An accuracy of +25/-15 sec/day would drive me nuts, but you won't find a better automatic movement at this price. And it's good that it has a hack function.

The Hardex crystal may seem like BS, but it's much harder than mineral glass (7+ on the Mohs scale vs 9 for sapphire).

I wouldn't get too worked up about the exchange rate for something at this price. Might as well go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics