• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As promised, pictures of my outfits

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
More casual look:

Dan.jpg

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
I would never wear a shirt this size (with a tie) on a Sunday or a gig, but this was a Tuesday outfit. Seeing as I am not on camera on Tuesdays, it is very unlikely that anyone that sees me on a weekday would notice if the shirt is slightly too large. Sorry, but I stick to my guns here too.

So it isn't nearly as important to you to feel good and look good for yourself as it is to look good for others?
eh.gif

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
So it isn't nearly as important to you to feel good and look good for yourself as it is to look good for others?
eh.gif

I think you've missed my point entirely. I wear what I like. However, more polish goes into outfits that are seen on a larger scale. You wouldnt put on the same thing going to a dinner party as going to WalMart, would you?

Patrician

Reaction score
More casual look:

Dan.jpg

Like the color combination but you should go with a smaller tie knot, a 4iH and skip the shiny silk ties, try going for a wool tie as it would go better with your sweater.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I think you've missed my point entirely. I wear what I like. However, more polish goes into outfits that are seen on a larger scale. You wouldnt put on the same thing going to a dinner party as going to WalMart, would you?
Well, maybe and maybe not - depends on how I felt that day. The point though, specifically about the shirt collar size, is much akin to wearing two different socks to WalMart while wearing matching socks to a dinner party (to use your analogy). Personally, such a detail cannot be overlooked and I would do my best to wear matching socks to both WalMart and the dinner party, just like I would always wear a shirt collar that fits my neck properly - even if I'm just at home by myself.

Patrician

Reaction score
I would never wear a shirt this size (with a tie) on a Sunday or a gig, but this was a Tuesday outfit. Seeing as I am not on camera on Tuesdays, it is very unlikely that anyone that sees me on a weekday would notice if the shirt is slightly too large. Sorry, but I stick to my guns here too.
Sorry but you can't 'stick to your guns' on this one, the shirt is too big for you.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
Like the color combination but you should go with a smaller tie knot, a 4iH and skip the shiny silk ties, try going for a wool tie as it would go better with your sweater.

I like the big knots. And the tie was another thrift store find for under $2, I'm not going to be that picky. This is one of my favorite everyday outfits, and I'm not going to change it.

Originally Posted by Patrician
Sorry but you can't 'stick to your guns' on this one, the shirt is too big for you.

Sure I can, I'm still wearing it
smile.gif

Patrician

Reaction score
I like the big knots. And the tie was another thrift store find for under $2, I'm not going to be that picky. This is one of my favorite everyday outfits, and I'm not going to change it.
I'm just giving u a bit of advice, try going with a wool tie in dark grey and you will instantly see that "rougher" materials go better with eachother.

Sure I can, I'm still wearing it
smile.gif

By looking at your photos I find that almost nothing u wear fits as it should so I'd like to ask you why you wear such illfitting clothes? Either you know that they fit really bad but "you got them for no $$" so you accept it, or, you don't think that they fit good (maybe even like it 'baggy')...which is it?

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
IMO: both of the suits I am wearing in this thread (tan on the first page, black pinstripe on page 20 something) fit the way I like, as do the shorts worn with them. So does the outfit with no tie on the first page, and the tweed blazer (not the shirt with it). Thats how I like my clothes to fit. As for the other ones, either:

1. I didnt notice before joining this forum
or
2. I excuse a small degree of being close in size but not correct, because I am trying to find a wide variety of clothes on a budget. It's hard especially to find shirts that are the right size, either the sleeves are too short or the collars too big.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patrician - read the entirety of the previous 30 pages and then you'll understand.

Chouse

Reaction score
This thread is amazing! Whenever it comes back up on the first page I find myself opening the first page and stare at the pictures in disbelief as if I'd never seen them before. Those may very well be the biggest tie knots I've ever seen...

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Some people like wearing crocs, but they still look ridiculous.

And you can tell them they look ridiculous, and yet they still wear them. Go figure. You'd think they'd know better than to wear stuff they like!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by edmorel
mt spiffy, I have to say, you very easily have one of the best personalities/demeanor on this forum. Most people here are babies and can't take criticism or dress for themselves, you do both quite well.

Lots here would disagree with you. I've learned a lot from the criticism but it doesnt change my taste. Then again, I can be influenced, I doubt I would have wore the tweed ensemble pre-SF. But dont tell anyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics