• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I Learned at Culinary School Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
And I will come and thrash Kwilk for every bite he takes. He's a fat little boy and he's been very naughty.

You and Kyle are so cute together. It's really touching.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
You and Kyle are so cute together. It's really touching.

I just don't know when it will be the right time to ask him to move in with me...
redface.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I just don't know when it will be the right time to ask him to move in with me...
redface.gif

Now, plz.

Do amenities include free gym membership and perpetual job interviews?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Now, plz.

probably not the kind of "job" you want.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, plz.

If 'workouts' and dirty job interviews, all with me, are what you mean, then yes.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
If 'workouts' and dirty job interviews, all with me, are what you mean, then yes.

Now that I think of it, I like Wrigleyville well enough.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, I like Wrigleyville well enough.

I have 1000 thread count Pratesi sheets.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Homosexual flirting is for Conne threads. Isn't that in the SF by-laws?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Homosexual flirting is for Conne threads. Isn't that in the SF by-laws?

O come on Mantipoo, stop trying to make it look like you haven't dipped your fingers in the love jar when no one was looking.

I liked your class about stock, and the onion thing is more common than you'd think.

As for Ducasse being the total standard, yes he's obviously at an incredible level but he isn't the only one and certainly not the only french chef who is at that level.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
We need to have this event somewhere else. This is not going on in my house.

SField has 1000 thread count Pratesi sheets.
Or, if you aren't into that, I have 120 thread count Target sheets.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
We need to have this event somewhere else. This is not going on in my house.

It's OK. I gave Sfield EdMorel's address and told him we'd meet him there.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
As for Ducasse being the total standard, yes he's obviously at an incredible level but he isn't the only one and certainly not the only french chef who is at that level.

I wasn't asserting that, just pointing out that my teacher brings up Ducasse all the time, reflexively.

I guess I find that odd because, as someone who has been in NY for a while, I know Ducasse mostly through the prism of his Essex House restaurant, which tanked. So here he is, if not a joke, at least an example of hubris. To hear him praised like that always makes me wonder if it is said seriously or with a twist of irony. I still don't know the answer, but I suspect it is the former.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't asserting that, just pointing out that my teacher brings up Ducasse all the time, reflexively.

I guess I find that odd because, as someone who has been in NY for a while, I know Ducasse mostly through the prism of his Essex House restaurant, which tanked. So here he is, if not a joke, at least an example of hubris. To hear him praised like that always makes me wonder if it is said seriously or with a twist of irony. I still don't know the answer, but I suspect it is the former.

I wouldn't say it really tanked. Things sometimes don't work out, and there isn't a single chef with that many Michelin stars who hasn't had a restaurant fail. (and Essex went down after a while).

He took two restaurants to 3 michelin stars simultaneously, and I think he was the youngest ever to get 3. He's no joke.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

So here's a question that comes to mind: What happens to your tastes when you learn to cook like Ducasse (or Boulud or whoever) and get used to that sort of precision?

Or to be more particular, what happens when you dine at a friend's house and said friend does NOT cook with the same finesse or precision? Does it spoil things for you? Do you pick at what was done wrong and how it should have been done? Are you sometimes tempted to drag your host back to the kitchen and show them the right way to do [whatever]? Are you doomed to a lifetime of cooking for yourself?

Just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads