• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steed (E. DeBoise) Bespoke Suit, Odd Jacket, and Odd Vest Fittings (Winter 2009)

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
. . .
462885243_v8J7r-X2.jpg

My favorite photo. I can't bring myself to get one of these, but it looks really cool. Were you even a little bit tempted to get rid of the basting thread and leave it this way, with the chalk marks? It would be like a super-cool version of this:
ryan-gosling-Tuxedo-Shirt.jpg
The ghostly chalk outline of a DB waistcoat on the dark blue cloth looks really great. Maybe wear it once, to a party, and then send it off to be finished.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would have liked that, but only had enough length of it to do the jacket and an odd vest.

The one piece back and patch pockets take up a lot of cutting real estate.

- B

Wear them together with chocolate or cream flannel slacks and you're redeemed.
cool.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Wear them together with chocolate or cream flannel slacks and you're redeemed.
cool.gif

Dang...great suggestions!

- B

emptym

Reaction score
...The two tweed jackets are done up on the softer side (I don't meant construction, but cut). There is no front cut or dart. There are no sidebodies, only the underarm cut that is not visible when the arms are lowered. In these particular cases, moreover, there is no back seam. Yet, even so, I think you can see that there is a lot of shaping to the jackets even at this stage. There is a lot of cutting and tailoring craft here, I suggest. Unlike what is pretty much the case on Savile Row these days, Edwin's coatmaker is "in-house," an employee and not an outworker. I think that helps in complex cases....
Is such shaping durable to wear, moisture, cleaning?
It would only be a problem if people are taking flash photograph of your ass, and then only in the photograph...
The front sometimes, but not the back, not that I know of. Thanks.

Single forward pleat on the pants?
Originally Posted by dopey
I don't post photos of me wearing clothes or clothes I wear or even clothes I don't wear in interesting combinations. Rather, I provide textual suggestions and ask interesting questions to serve as mental thought inspiration and a font of commentary for the sartorially aspirationaling dresser.
fixed

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roped shoulders your r not.
I would go for natural shoulder 2-but or 1-but suit with lower gorge, for your body type.
Out of these I like the look of DB suit on you, but the rest makes you look a bit heavy and architectural.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think SoCal has deconstruction covered already.

And for those of you whose eyes are not as practiced with this sort of thing, if you look closely, you can see the outline of the lapel facings for the vests, and the pinch representing the pleat that will go into each bottom pocket.

And no: no loud linings for me. If I want something like that, I'll go see Paul Winston for something truly Waspy.

- B

Does this mean the lapels on the waistcoat will be sewn on, rather than rolled? Any reason? I like rolled with flannels, otherwise I leave it as tailor's choice. Since he is doing sewn, how will they be laid out - matching the plaid, or to look as if they were folded over?

Nice touch on the jacket pocket pleats. I hadn't noted that first time. I had a sportcoat like that with pleats in all three pockets. It was silk and wore out. I was saving it to have it copied, but my wife disappeared it.

Will there be a band (like a wide besom) at the top of the pockets? That is what mine had on all three (I urge pleats for the breast pocket as well).

I went a different route on my recent sportcoat order - bellows hip patch pockets with button closures. Yours are more suave. I wanted more rustic (and really wanted the bellows).

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These all look superb. Did we ever get to see the finished double-breasted dinner jacket you had on the go? If not a dinner jacket, it was certainly a dark DB coat.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think Edwin would normally match, but we were dealing with limited fabric here, so we'll see. I don't have a preference, but now that you have me thinking about it again, I might change my mind... . . .
Matching (where the lapel is laid on the body so all the lines line up) is always done with sewn-on shawl lapels on waistcoats. I can check when I am home, but I am pretty sure that my Dege tweed suit waistcoat has the lapels sewn on to look like they were folded (as if they were normal lapels). Of all my lapelled waistcoats from Dege, probably a half-dozen or so, only this one has any pattern more elaborate than a donegal. After some reflection, I would do it this latter way if you are getting notch lapels on the waistcoat, but I am curious to hear of Edwin thinks otherwise. I am now wistful for pleated patch pockets. By way of comfort, I still have the LL Gun Club and BoB, along with the Cooper tweed, waiting to be made up. The Gun Club will be a sportcoat, but it seems kind of chunky to carry much in the way of tailoring gadgetry. Your version is right. The Cooper needs a bit more of an edge to it, but the BoB, as you have noted, could also be a nice vehicle for some frippery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads