• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

jcd

Reaction score
haha, I like to see how a conversation steers. its different on every forum I frequent. PolePosition hit the nail on the head. We are all after the same goal AND we have identified many ways to peel the potato. My goal is to spur others to think for themselves, and more importantly to consider other methods/ideas instead of only listening to so-called authorities. The thing is, none of you know me personally and probably do not know Noir personally. So in reality we could be some fat slobs sitting behind a monitor trolling message boards to get our jollies off. I can attest that I am not that fat slob and I do practice what I preach, however its so possible as the interwebz are full of crazies... I write because I want to inform others that there is no straight and narrow when it comes to this fitness stuff. It is all a matter of making it work for you, no matter how you go about it. I just ask that people keep an open mind in the process

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noir.
Honestly, let's try and take it down a notch. I don't claim to be an exercise or nutrition messiah, but I have experimented a lot of different things and do know what works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I've seen 18 pages of this:

rube_napkin.gif

20051212rube_goldberg_450.jpg

RG_168.gif

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I think you and some others are correct that I'm seeing "newbie" gains, but I worked with trainers for over a year and didn't get nearly as far (then I took a year off, so I am "new" from that perspective). I just posted because I think a lot of the conventional wisdom that's preached is wrong, at least for me. I am interested in other opinions though, and I'd appreciate your insight as to how I might cut the last bit of spare tire off

Also, fwiw, the "chest" measurement gains are mostly in my back. I gained some size in my pecs but my lats really exploded in size on this low rep / high weight program. In fact, the best responseseems to be from the largest muscles (lats & quads)

Originally Posted by Noir.
hey big A, i've seen you post a lot on MC and you seem like a great guy so i'll go ahead and comment quickly and I'll be more detailed when I'm not in a headspin (today's a very busy day). Expect me to be more involved by late Thursday or Friday.

First, those changes are impressive as hell, so congratulations. Caloric intake matters less with beginner gains - i'm assuming that's what you had because like I said, that change is amazing (I don't even have a 44 chest and I've been doing this for a while). It evens out the longer you do it.

all calories are not created equally. TEF for one (energy expenditure for digestion) is different for each of the macros. Different things also assimilate very differently. However, caloric intake DOES have some bearing on weight loss. If you're new or pharma supplemented you can do both because you're introducing a new and very significant change to your body. But even still, if you eat 1,000 calories worth of donuts and 1,000 calories worth of steak or potatos or chocolate - it's far from being the same thing and leading to the same results. I'll throw your #'s in the spreadsheet later and let you know what I come up with.

Different ranges work for different body parts. I recommend trying them out and finding what works. I would say you'll need slightly more volume in the future less gains will stagnate. Low rep/strength intensive is wonderful for starting out because IMO you need a base level of strength to get any real results.

What in particular is conflicting and I'll do my best to comment further.

Sorry everyone, I'm a bit scattered. Case studies, homeworks, and about a trillion deadlines this week.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
to quote cosgrove, everything works and nothing works forever.

Pat

Reaction score
What kind of diet should I be on to help achieve 6 pack abs?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pat

6 cans of tuna and a 5K per day.

RubberSoul

Reaction score
I have another question.

I have used an EC stack in the past with success (mostly due to suppressed appetite). Instead of
using it again I want to use a different supplement to avoid building a tolerance. I am thinking of trying Phenylethylamine (PEA). Anyone have experience with this supplement? Please share you input and experience.

Thanks

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
to quote cosgrove, everything works and nothing works forever.

What the hell do trainers know?

/why'd

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond

/why'd

You're still a teenager I take it?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
6 cans of tuna and a 5K per day.
I think I understand what you mean. If I eat 8 cans of tuna, can I get an 8 pack?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

/why'd

He's a trainer too, last I checked.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You're still a teenager I take it?

23, actually.

Based on your posts here, you appear to have a problem with anyone who has accomplished anything in sports nutrition; I figured maybe you were the same way with well-known trainers.

After all, what need is there for research or knowledge beyond "lift ****, repeat," really?

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pat

One that contains less calories than what your body requires during a day. In other words: the only way to get visible muscles--regardless of what muscles--is to reduce your body fat percentage. Once the muscles are visible you can improve them (i.e. make them bigger) with strength training. What they actually look like once they become visible and how large they can become is highly dependent on genetics and is therefore out of your control.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
23, actually. Based on your posts here, you appear to have a problem with anyone who has accomplished anything in sports nutrition; I figured maybe you were the same way with well-known trainers
I thought the credibility != science debate already ended. I can recap for you if you want. I have a problem with people making something terribly simple overly complex out of ignorance and greed. It's almost as if they know the basics are so shallow that they're unsellable, so somewhere along the line gold bells and platinum whistles are added to drive more business. If you consider that an accomplishment I don't know what else to say.

lynchpatrickj

Reaction score
Should I work out (hit the gym, run, lift weights) while sick? My throat's kind of raw and phlegmy and I have the beginnings of a headache. Otherwise, I'm taking DayQuil and lying around the house all day, eating snacks (I get really hungry while I'm sick) and watching TV and reading SF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads