• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grey Goose Vodka

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
That is not true at all
n583535598_5254171_9361.jpg

Is that a bottle of Dom?

Happydayz

Reaction score
I hope you're aware of the story behind the concept for Grey Goose http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfin...eatures/10816/ edit: for those too lazy to read it all, basically Grey Goose was a marketing decision. Someone figured that people had more disposable income and were willing to part with it for more money just for the sake of spending it. So the decision was to double the cost of the most expensive vodka on the market (at this time Absolut). Not a single drop of vodka was distilled before the marketing concept was largely finished. After it was decided that it should be distilled in France so as to differentiate itself from Russian vodkas and add an air of prestige, a group of failing French distillers were brought on board and taught how to make vodka.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Is that a bottle of Dom?

Yes, thats Dom P.

Good thing about GG is that you do not get a headache. But then, the same applies for Absolut for about half the price.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GG has been able to position itself as the vodka of choice for people who don't know anything about vodka, but want to look like they do and appear more sophisticated than they really are.

GG tastes like rubbing alcohol and is best served when mixed with something to mask its flavor. That's why tons of chicks love it with their apple womantini's, vodka tonics or cranberry juice. In reality, you can be putting Popov vodka and these chicks wouldn't know the difference. I believe GG is at least distilled a good number of times, and it's true that a hangover is greatly reduced drinking it rather than the cheap stuff, including Absolut and Schmirnoff.

But I believe the name, price label and association with France have done well for the marketing.

As far as tastes go, I prefer Belvedere, Chopin or Ketel One straight up on the rocks.

mikej77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
GG has been able to position itself as the vodka of choice for people who don't know anything about vodka, but want to look like they do and appear more sophisticated than they really are.

GG tastes like rubbing alcohol and is best served when mixed with something to mask its flavor. That's why tons of chicks love it with their apple womantini's, vodka tonics or cranberry juice. In reality, you can be putting Popov vodka and these chicks wouldn't know the difference. I believe GG is at least distilled a good number of times, and it's true that a hangover is greatly reduced drinking it rather than the cheap stuff, including Absolut and Schmirnoff.

But I believe the name, price label and association with France have done well for the marketing.

As far as tastes go, I prefer Belvedere, Chopin or Ketel One straight up on the rocks.

I agree. Like anything that is marketed well, it will keep its popularity until something new comes along that everyone starts drinking. I really don't like the taste of GG at all, I think Ketel One is much better. Recently I started drinking Cold River Vodka which is now my favorite.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont get people who sip vodka...

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should probably know, for your marketing project, that you are dealing with very sophisticated consumers on this forum. People on here have an excellent concept of cost/value ratio. That being said, your average person who isn't conscious of such things will tell you that GG is the best vodka that you can buy, etc. etc. So if you base your conclusions on what was said above you probably aren't getting the "average" person's view of this product.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
You should probably know, for your marketing project, that you are dealing with very sophisticated consumers on this forum. People on here have an excellent concept of cost/value ratio. That being said, your average person who isn't conscious of such things will tell you that GG is the best vodka that you can buy, etc. etc. So if you base your conclusions on what was said above you probably aren't getting the "average" person's view of this product.

in most cases i would agree, but most of the people that list liquor purchased or bars here, often have rums and tequillas that are more popluar because of marketing more than actual quality.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I hope to get some data from a gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer to back some of these statements up with empirical evidence sometime this year.

~ H

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
And please do the chromatograph tests!

IIRC, Mythbusters did a GC on the episode where they filtered cheap vodka through a Brita filter and compared it to 'premium' vodka. I think the cheap vodka, filtered vodka, and premium vodka all had the same profile through the GC.

I've got a GC/MS that I've been using at my university the past semester, I might just give a 'premium comparison' a shot....

Colpitts

Reaction score
Heres my take... for what its worth...

I really enjoy a fine vodka martini with a twist... hell even sometimes a dirty vodka martini will do...

One of my good friends, happens to be somewhat of a vodka connoisseur. (russian blood in him!)

Anyways, drinking vodka martini's will give you a first hand 'taste' at just how terrible, and how delicious vodka can be!

You can certainly find very good vodkas, if you are on a budget. (Absolut is certainly one of the better vodkas on the market)
However, if you have the expendable cash.. Grey Goose is one of the, if not the most enjoyable vodka.

Some inferior vodkas provoke a burning sensation, that is all but abolished with GG...

That said, of course there are going to be 'ballers' ordering 3 bottles, and 2 bottles of cran for 'their ladies'...

But hype, and ballers aside...
Its a hell of a vodka...

My opinion!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Happydayz
I hope you're aware of the story behind the concept for Grey Goose
http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/bizfin...eatures/10816/

edit: for those too lazy to read it all, basically Grey Goose was a marketing decision. Someone figured that people had more disposable income and were willing to part with it for more money just for the sake of spending it. So the decision was to double the cost of the most expensive vodka on the market (at this time Absolut). Not a single drop of vodka was distilled before the marketing concept was largely finished. After it was decided that it should be distilled in France so as to differentiate itself from Russian vodkas and add an air of prestige, a group of failing French distillers were brought on board and taught how to make vodka.

that "someone" was Sidney Frank. He's the genius who found a way to market Jaegermeister and who is responsible for many of the funky shaped tequila bottles.

He died recently, but nobody has ever come close to matching his ability to market liquors. Without him, there would be no Grey Goose. Its a fascinating story, really.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jaeger-bombs!

I was in Hamburg in summer 2007 for one night, which was coincidentally the night of a big party in the heart of the city: the grand re-opening of their city hall...or something like that. There was a stage with bands playing in the square affront the city hall and wandering throughout the crowd were "Jaeger girls". They had these backpackesque cannisters, similar to what I've seen mobile coffee vendors use at baseball games (yes, San Francisco), but filled with Jaeger, dispensing it into the open cups, hands and mouths of anyone who would take it. <shudder>

But, speaking of Grey Goose vodak. I don't drink much vodka anymore, but some 10 years ago the vodka drinks were flowing heavily, some mixed with tonic water, others in a martini. Through empirical experimentation with an unhealthily large sample size, I concluded that drinks made with GG had a lower variance of quality than comparably-priced and popular vodkas at the time, such as Belvedere and Ketel. With both Belvedere and Ketel, it seemed like I was equally likely to get something that tasted good as something that tasted like ass; whereas GG seemed to have a narrow band around the median. Sure, this could be attributed to countless factors: location, bartender, drink, what I ate for dinner, how drink I was, phase of the moon, etc. But, if looking solely at experimental data, GG had a more consistently non-ass outcome.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
in most cases i would agree, but most of the people that list liquor purchased or bars here, often have rums and tequillas that are more popluar because of marketing more than actual quality.

This may be true, I don't really read the liquor related threads, but from this thread it seems most people are conscious that GG is a good example of more style than substance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics