• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engagement Rings ! ??

pjw123

Reaction score
Well, my girlfriend of five years and I are ready to take the next step, but she doesn't want a diamond. She think its "buying in" to an ill conceived social construct. Anyways, what are some other options that are cool and not seen as just a cheap way out. Any ideaas would REALLY help me out. this whole ring thing is starting to drive me nutso. Thanks in advance

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhhhhh

Count your blessings and run. She sounds like a pinko ******** already.

Francis91

Reaction score
I would still get her a diamond, but if you really are set at not getting one, try getting her birthstone.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wait a few weeks. She's likely to ocillate between not wanting a diamond and wanting one several dozen times.

If you don't do a diamond, do a sapphire. Assuming she wants to wear the ring day-to-day, you'll need a durable enough stone. You can try explaining to her that diamonds are good for that reason, if nothing else: no other stone can withstand so much abuse. But sapphires are good too. Other precious stones (rubies, emeralds, etc.) are fragile and fade over time.

evor1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Uhhhhh

Count your blessings and run. She sounds like a pinko ******** already.

wtf he should be marrying her right now. the diamond industry is the 2nd biggest scam behind religion. hes lucky his girl doesnt buy into the bullshit.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evor1
wtf he should be marrying her right now. the diamond industry is the 2nd biggest scam behind religion. hes lucky his girl doesnt buy into the bullshit.

+1, be glad you don't have one of those girls that will throw a fit if you don't get her the perfect ring to show to all her shallow bitchy friends.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francis91
I would still get her a diamond, but if you really are set at not getting one, try getting her birthstone.

I agree. Get her a diamond anyway.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President

Good advice. My wife said the the same thing, just get me a band, the diamond is meaningless. She meant it. It's a rare trait to find in a woman.

I still did the research and bought her a very nice diamond ring. Things worked out just fine. She didn't mind selling out at all once the solitaire was on her ring finger.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pjw123
Well, my girlfriend of five years and I are ready to take the next step, but she doesn't want a diamond. She think its "buying in" to an ill conceived social construct. Anyways, what are some other options that are cool and not seen as just a cheap way out. Any ideaas would REALLY help me out. this whole ring thing is starting to drive me nutso. Thanks in advance

Count your blessings big-time, and just get something nice. Do not worry about cheaping out. If you fail to cheap out, you'll still be buying into the social contract. She's given you a get-out-of-debt free card. Don't disdain it!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President

Originally Posted by hadamulletonce
Good advice. My wife said the the same thing, just get me a band, the diamond is meaningless. She meant it. It's a rare trait to find in a woman.

I still did the research and bought her a very nice diamond ring. Things worked out just fine. She didn't mind selling out at all once the solitaire was on her ring finger.

No no no no no. Don't listen to these guys. They're just trying to get you to make the same mistake they did...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
No no no no no. Don't listen to these guys. They're just trying to get you to make the same mistake they did...

You guys are ignoring the durability/wearability issue I mentioned above. If the OP and his fiancee-to-be would be happy with a ring she cannot wear daily, then they can pick from all sorts of gems. But if it's to be worn daily, a diamond is the best option, followed by a sapphire.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rubies and sapphires are both corundum. Wouldn't they both be similarly durable?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
You guys are ignoring the durability/wearability issue I mentioned above. If the OP and his fiancee-to-be would be happy with a ring she cannot wear daily, then they can pick from all sorts of gems. But if it's to be worn daily, a diamond is the best option, followed by a sapphire.

I got my wife an art-nouveau ring with an acanthus-leaf pattern on it. The pattern is all but worn away, but the marriage is still going strong. Who cares?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I got my wife an art-nouveau ring with an acanthus-leaf pattern on it. The pattern is all but worn away, but the marriage is still going strong. Who cares?

This is why you should have bought five of them at the beginning to have a lifetime supply.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads