• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Fitness Model

jcd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
So here's what I've realized - first, actual amounts of calories consumed bears no relationship to weight loss. I have not counted calories, and clearly I am eating more of them than I was when I was overweight. I assume not all calories are used the same way. I think trying to operate at a "caloric deficit" is a mistake, and it's why most people fail.

while I am not Noir, I must say that what you are reporting sounds very familiar to the newbie phenomenon.

a caloric deficit must be present for weight/fat loss to occur. That is not an opinion its a fact. no other way around it. TEF is greater in protein than any other nutrient. However its not goingto make a drastic difference granted calories are kept consistent. The only time it can make a big difference is when protein is too low and muscle loss occurs. Then body composition will be altered in a caloric deficit as some of the weight you are losing is muscle. This is unnecessary as eating enough protein, maintaining training intensity and not going crazy with exercise will yield almost pure fat loss.

Originally Posted by why
That's the definition of ignorance, really.

I think I stated what jcd said multiple times in the past and even in this thread regarding digestion, calories, and protein. Making diets complex is a way to make money, not to produce results.

not sure as to what you were referring to as ignorance, but I do agree that people make things way too complicated. so what happens? silly, naive people who do not know any better, buy into things that just aren't necessary

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
18 ******* pages to get to:

Set your protein, get your EFAs and use carbs to fill in the rest of your caloric needs based on goal.

Clap. Clap. Clap.

lefty

Originally Posted by why
You guys make it so difficult...

Just eat 6 cans of tuna per day and do some moderate cardio (maybe a 5K) for 3 days, lift one day, eat half a box of pasta on top of your tuna or whatever protein you're eating on the day you lift, and repeat.

jcd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
18 ******* pages to get to:

Set your protein, get your EFAs and use carbs to fill in the rest of your caloric needs based on goal.

Clap. Clap. Clap.

lefty

I know right? it really is easy.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcd
not sure as to what you were referring to as ignorance, but I do agree that people make things way too complicated. so what happens? silly, naive people who do not know any better, buy into things that just aren't necessary
I was referring to purposely ignoring what others say because they don't agree with the viewpoints presented (i.e. thinking of IF as crap/bunk because someone whose viewpoints are identical to your own said 'eat 6-8 meals per day').

jcd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I was referring to purposely ignoring what others say because they don't agree with the viewpoints presented.

ok, makes sense. Just wasn't sure as I was not about to rummage through this entire thread. But you are right. Many choose to believe only one thing even if there is evidence that can point them in another direction.

this is 90% of the people I come across. They don't ask questions to learn, they only ask questions to seek validation and confirmation about what they were only doing to do anyway.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Why the **** would anyone even ask? What research is there to be done? Why does there need to be some Internet personality's stamp of approval for someone to try it out? In my experience the biggest reason diet is so heavily researched is because lazy fat people want someone else to do everything for them.
Jesus Christ. Can you please relax for once? I don't need his "stamp of approval," I already told you I'm on board with it and am doing it right now 2 days per week (it's working), I just thought he might be able to add to the discussion. It is pretty new "technology" in the nutrition world, you have to admit. It's pretty difficult to get out of the 6 meal per day mindset along with the "starvation mode" stuff, so any kind of discussion is positive.

jcd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Jesus Christ. Can you please relax for once?

I don't need his "stamp of approval," I already told you I'm on board with it and am doing it right now 2 days per week (it's working), I just thought he might be able to add to the discussion. It is pretty new "technology" in the nutrition world, you have to admit. It's pretty difficult to get out of the 6 meal per day mindset along with the "starvation mode" stuff, so any kind of discussion is positive.

you can say that 10x over. It was very hard to break myself of that mentality and habit. Actually I remember vividly the day I sat down to over 1000kcals of steak, potatoes and butter. I was worried too, but I was sick and tired of eating all the dang time. Eating only ended up becoming a chore. so I experimented and am now to the point where I know that meal frequency is irrelevant to my physique/fitness goals.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcd
you can say that 10x over. It was very hard to break myself of that mentality and habit. Actually I remember vividly the day I sat down to over 1000kcals of steak, potatoes and butter. I was worried too, but I was sick and tired of eating all the dang time. Eating only ended up becoming a chore. so I experimented and am now to the point where I know that meal frequency is irrelevant to my physique/fitness goals.
Seriously. I think it was you that mentioned you were always hungry eating 6x per day in that article, and I could totally relate. I felt like I was always starving. Every day I was constantly thinking about my next meal, and looking forward to my weekly cheat meal since it was the only one that would leave me satiated for longer than 1 hour. That is no way to live. I've noticed that my hunger actually decreased big time since doing IF. Which is a weird thing for me since I've always had a huge appetite for pretty much my whole life.

jcd

Reaction score
Seriously. I think it was you that mentioned you were always hungry eating 6x per day in that article, and I could totally relate. I felt like I was always starving. Every day I was constantly thinking about my next meal, and looking forward to my weekly cheat meal since it was the only one that would leave me satiated for longer than 1 hour.

That is no way to live.

no doubt... I did mention that. Eating like bird was only teasing me. Then it lead to going allout on my Sunday cheats. which in the long run did not affect my body composition much at all. Probably helped with my strength gains and muscle gains... but its not healthy(psychologically) to binge like that. I actually have an article coming up on how I did away with some bingeing problems I encountered throughout my experimentation.

I've noticed that my hunger actually decreased big time since doing IF. Which is a weird thing for me since I've always had a huge appetite for pretty much my whole life.
I agree. It can get dangerous when you are running a severe deficit. I have sometimes just completely forgotten about food. not always working in your favor if you know what I mean. even tho its nice to not feel the hunger pangs of typical dieting.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcd
I know right? it really is easy.

Apparently not. I've been saying that for three years, but I'm not a teen model, so no one listens to me.

lefty

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ. Can you please relax for once?

I don't need his "stamp of approval," I already told you I'm on board with it and am doing it right now 2 days per week (it's working), I just thought he might be able to add to the discussion. It is pretty new "technology" in the nutrition world, you have to admit. It's pretty difficult to get out of the 6 meal per day mindset along with the "starvation mode" stuff, so any kind of discussion is positive.

It's nothing new, it's just breaking down old tired myths.

I hate this thread's posturing and the circlejerk going on in it so I've largely tried to avoid it, but asking Noir to 'research' IF was a total
baldy[1].gif
moment for me.

Noir.

Reaction score
Honestly, let's try and take it down a notch. I don't claim to be an exercise or nutrition messiah, but I have experimented a lot of different things and do know what works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you've read you'll notice I encourage all sorts of different things depending on the particular person. You may not react the same way to everything, but in general there are certain guidelines I adhere to quite strictly.

Discussion is fine but please let's be somewhat civil about it. Feel free to state your case, but "just cause" doesn't say, mean, or do anything remotely productive. I've stated how I do things, that it works very, very well for me, and I've done my best to back it up with rationale.

I haven't tried IF yet (though for reference, I have done 1 or 2 large meals per day. I didn't count hours between meals or times for fasting, so I don't count it as being legit. It was, however, less than generous to my physique. I have zero appetite so it's not a matter of not eating enough in my individual meals. At the same time I would feel like dogshit if I split my daily intake in two meals - it's just far too much for me to comfortably intake in one sitting). I may try at some point in the future, but I'm very happy with where my diet and nutrition is right now. About the only thing I don't encourage is excessive amounts of junk food. I've stated I don't believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, and where the calories come from is vital. I mentioned a few pages back that if a lady is eating **** food all day long, she tries a different diet where she eats **** food less often, she'll probably be thrilled with her results simply because she's eating less ****. I know that's not the concept or the point jcd's trying to make, but the idea stands and it's not quite as black and white.

Right now it seems more like an elementary school evolution vs. creationism "debate" instead of an informed discussion. God exists so creationism is right. God doesn't exist so evolution is right. Mommy and daddy said it's true so I'm right and your wrong. Please stop comparing your e-penises in the e-locker-room and let's continue with what I think is an otherwise informative thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Noir.
Honestly, let's try and take it down a notch. I don't claim to be an exercise or nutrition messiah, but I have experimented a lot of different things and do know what works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you've read you'll notice I encourage all sorts of different things depending on the particular person. You may not react the same way to everything, but in general there are certain guidelines I adhere to quite strictly.

Discussion is fine but please let's be somewhat civil about it. Feel free to state your case, but "just cause" doesn't say, mean, or do anything remotely productive. I've stated how I do things, that it works very, very well for me, and I've done my best to back it up with rationale.

I haven't tried IF yet (though for reference, I have done 1 or 2 large meals per day. I didn't count hours between meals or times for fasting, so I don't count it as being legit. It was, however, less than generous to my physique. I have zero appetite so it's not a matter of not eating enough in my individual meals. At the same time I would feel like dogshit if I split my daily intake in two meals - it's just far too much for me to comfortably intake in one sitting). I may try at some point in the future, but I'm very happy with where my diet and nutrition is right now. About the only thing I don't encourage is excessive amounts of junk food. I've stated I don't believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, and where the calories come from is vital. I mentioned a few pages back that if a lady is eating **** food all day long, she tries a different diet where she eats **** food less often, she'll probably be thrilled with her results simply because she's eating less ****. I know that's not the concept or the point jcd's trying to make, but the idea stands and it's not quite as black and white.

Right now it seems more like an elementary school evolution vs. creationism "debate" instead of an informed discussion. God exists so creationism is right. God doesn't exist so evolution is right. Mommy and daddy said it's true so I'm right and your wrong. Please stop comparing your e-penises in the e-locker-room and let's continue with what I think is an otherwise informative thread.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

lefty

PolePosition

Reaction score
Lets try to keep this thread informative. Although I think that Why brings up thought provoking points and certainly has some valid arguments, cmon man you don't have to be so aggressive. That will only turn people off.

Anyways, I believe that most of us here at this point in time have probably figured out in a general sense what is healthy and what is unhealthy. We all know diet accounts for about 80% of weight loss and muscle gain. Many people that Noir has consulted don't know the first thing about being healthy. And likewise for those that are already healthy and want more details about how to reach their body fat goals, Noir has excellent plans in place that will help both types of clients achieve their goals. Noir's plans work the best for him and his clients based on his own research, experimentation, experiences, and the results that he sees. He's not the end all of sports nutrition but what he says is pretty valid based on this.

Now lets look at JCD's info about intermittent fasting and all that. His research and experiences have lead him to a different approach to the SAME goals. We are all trying to reach the same goals, no need to argue about it. There is more than one way to skin a cat after all. He simply wants to illustrate that dieting is about monitoring your caloric intake and making sure you get the right nutrients and he debunks the myth that we MUST eat 6-7 times a day lest we get fat. What he says has validity as well based on his own observations. It does make sense. 2k cals a day is 2k cals a day no matter how you spread it out.

For those that are unable to stick to their diet because of the 6 meals a day, eating 2-3 meals over a shorter period of time may be exactly what those people need to keep their proper diet going. But for others, myself included, I actually like eating multiple meals a day. I used to only eat about twice a day and I didn't really eat that many calories but I was probably not eating right and I already have a slow metabolism, so switching to 6 meals a day has not only helped me significantly control the nutrients that go into my body, but has somehow also given me much more energy, whether it be my metabolic boost through frequent feeding, or who knows. For somebody else, IF may yield equal or better results then 6/day. Just depends on the person. Either way we are to monitor what we eat and exercise properly.

All this to say, we're trying to reach the same goals. Obviously there are things that work and things that don't work and there are at least 2 ppl that have posted here who have found what works for them and their clients and are generous enough to share their findings with us....so lets be civil and continue to learn from one another. No need for things to get heated in here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads