• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lostfourwords
Two questions:

1) Has the sizing/dimensions of American shirts changed in the last couple of years? Everywhere I look now, a small tends to be running at a 38" chest...

2)...Which leads me to my real question: who is making true small- or extra small- (i.e., >36") sized shirts these days? It's become nearly impossible to find button-downs that fit.

I would try Zara.

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lostfourwords
1) Has the sizing/dimensions of American shirts changed in the last couple of years? Everywhere I look now, a small tends to be running at a 38" chest...

That's odd... except for H&M and Zara, all the OTR smalls I see measure about 21.0-21.5" pit-to-pit - meaning a 42-43" chest...

H&M slim fit smalls run about 19.5" pit-to-pit if i remember right, which is of course 39".

CanadaSteep

Reaction score
TM Lewin vs Charles Tyrwhitt: I found that in the same size, the CT had a wider chest a slight overall bigger feel.

I like the TM for the value AND quality. They just can't be beat.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CanadaSteep
TM Lewin vs Charles Tyrwhitt: I found that in the same size, the CT had a wider chest a slight overall bigger feel.

I like the TM for the value AND quality. They just can't be beat.

TM's customer service is great too. I wanted to add a shirt after I submitted my order. They couldn't modify the order, but are sending that shirt separately with free shipping.

kontai69

Reaction score
FYI to all...

I recently received this new J. Crew shirt in size "small"...
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8048/98048.jsp

It measures 19.5" from armpit-to-armpit. I'm skinny and have a 35" chest. Even though the shirt is a "tailored-fit" and supposed to fit a 35-37" chest according to their sizing chart, it feels way too big around the waist on me. The sleeves are also a little baggy and too long. I may try to see how the XS fits, although I most likely would not be able to button the collar since the small is already very tight around the collar when buttoned.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kontai69
FYI to all...

I recently received this new J. Crew shirt in size "small"...
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8048/98048.jsp

It measures 19.5" from armpit-to-armpit. I'm skinny and have a 35" chest. Even though the shirt is a "tailored-fit" and supposed to fit a 35-37" chest according to their sizing chart, it feels way too big around the waist on me. The sleeves are also a little baggy and too long. I may try to see how the XS fits, although I most likely would not be able to button the collar since the small is already very tight around the collar when buttoned.

As I said above:

"The key is to get a shirt that fits you in the collar and shoulders and then have a tailor alter other areas. It's very difficult to get an OTR shirt that will fit you well without any alteration."

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CanadaSteep
TM Lewin vs Charles Tyrwhitt: I found that in the same size, the CT had a wider chest a slight overall bigger feel. I like the TM for the value AND quality. They just can't be beat.
I do have 3 CT "casual" shirts which are basically dress shirts that don't have collar stays and are a bit shorter and slim fitting and they are more slim than all 3 TM shirts I just purchased. I would say that the TM ones are made a bit better though.

aguydude

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question:
I went to moores the other day and got measurements, my neck size is 15 and sleeve length is 33. Now I'm looking to buy some shirts from other members of the forum, but the sleeve lengths for the shirts in the BS threads are all in the 20s.. what number does my 33 correspond to? Thanks.

Icarium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aguydude
I went to moores the other day and got measurements, my neck size is 15 and sleeve length is 33. Now I'm looking to buy some shirts from other members of the forum, but the sleeve lengths for the shirts in the BS threads are all in the 20s.. what number does my 33 correspond to? Thanks.

google.com search reveals all.

http://www.mybarong2.com/measure-dre...-art-1064.html

The reason for the bent arm is that a dress shirt should have sleeves just long enough that they do not retract from your wrist when bending your arm.

I got my TM Lewins tailored for 10 bucks each - now they fit great. They took in the body about 1.5-2" and tapered the sleeves to match where the new seam runs into the sleeve. Well worth the 21 GBP that I paid even with 10$ thrown in.

I can't believe the current exchange rate. I wish they would hurry up and restock so I can get another order in. Pretty much every shirt I want is OOS right now.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aguydude

The 33 corresponds to the measurement from the center of the back of the collar, over your shoulder, and then down to the end of your cuff. You can measure this on a shirt by folding it in half cuff to cuff and then measuring from the end of the cuff to the base of the back of the collar.

The sleeve measurement in the 20's is probably the measurement from shoulder seam to the end of the cuff. Ask the person selling you the shirt what the shoulder width is - the width of the back yoke (it will probably be 17-19 inches). Divide this number by 2, and add it to the measurement from shoulder to cuff and compare that to your target 33 inch measurement.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Talbina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seph
The 33 corresponds to the measurement from the center of the back of the collar, over your shoulder, and then down to the end of your cuff. You can measure this on a shirt by folding it in half cuff to cuff and then measuring from the end of the cuff to the base of the back of the collar.

The sleeve measurement in the 20's is probably the measurement from shoulder seam to the end of the cuff. Ask the person selling you the shirt what the shoulder width is - the width of the back yoke (it will probably be 17-19 inches). Divide this number by 2, and add it to the measurement from shoulder to cuff and compare that to your target 33 inch measurement.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Seph...I noticed on your site, you can no longer see the detailed sizes for the specific brand shirt (waist, chest...). Is that true or was I imagining things before?

Also, when are you getting in more fabrics?

And...would it be possible to mail you buttons to put on the shirt?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I've spent so much time & money on this topic over the last few months it's ridiculous. What I've come to realize over this time is that if a shirt fits on the shoulders & neck, it can be made to fit anywhere else. And it's really not that difficult to do so.

Pay my tailor $20 to take in the sides and every shirt becomes perfectly fit to my body.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Talbina
Seph...I noticed on your site, you can no longer see the detailed sizes for the specific brand shirt (waist, chest...). Is that true or was I imagining things before?

Also, when are you getting in more fabrics?

And...would it be possible to mail you buttons to put on the shirt?

Talbina - Yeah - you were not imagining - at one point we did show all the information about different brand sizes, but (for competitive reasons) we decided to hide some of the measurements.

New fabrics are coming this month... Will have more pinpoint yellows, pinks, lilacs, higher thread count blues, and some interesting stripe patterns. This weekend we're testing a new "no-iron" fabric that has 3% XLA. If all goes well we'll add that (in a plain white) as well. Finally, I'm working on some more funky patterns for the inside of the cuffs and collar bands - pretty excited about some of the designs we've got.

Regarding buttons - what are the buttons you have in mind? I'd like to source a significant number and make them a standard offering. Appreciate your input.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads