• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. What is chainstitching and what is roping?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and Soaking 101 pwease

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaxixi
+1. What is chainstitching and what is roping?
Roping would be the white crests along the folds of my chainstitched RRLs:
cimg4158jj1.jpg
Originally Posted by gdl203
and Soaking 101 pwease
Basically, your high-end raw jean falls into two categories: 1) Unwashed/Shrink-to-fit: The cotton in the denim has yet to touch water or been mechanically-treated and subsequently will shrink upon the first soak. Most jeans do not come this way and for good reason: the average consumer would get a headache trying to figure out which size to buy to account for future shrinkage which can be variable. If you do purchase an unwashed/shrink-to-fit pair of jeans, the idea would be to soak them in water BEFORE wearing them as they will be larger than tagged at purchase and will shrink 2-3" in the waist, 3-5" in length once washed. 2) One-wash/Sanforized: A majority of jeans today are made this way. The denim is still raw but has been treated, either in water or mechanically, to minimize future shrinkage. There are two schools of thought on this: a) soak these immediately like unwashed jeans to get over the 3-5% expected shrinkage or b) wear these straight out of the bag and worry about the soak/wash later since it is minimal. I personally belong to the latter group since soaked jeans will eventually stretch back out in the waist and you can get back length shrinkage by pulling on the legs while the jeans are still wet. While most purists enjoy the guesswork of unwashed jeans, I have never had to deal with it and frankly don't see the point. In fact, places like Blue in Green offer the same jean model in an unwashed or one-wash state so that you can decide for yourself (guess which is more popular...).

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting thanks. And how exactly does one "soak" a pair of jeans after a good number of washes? I heard odd things like taking a bath with your jeans on in a bathtub - is this just mythology?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I heard odd things like taking a bath with your jeans on in a bathtub - is this just mythology?

Well, I've done it.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Well, I've done it.
So it must be mythology

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So it must be mythology

Well, I won't dispute being somewhat god-like.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
You can get roping with normal lockstitching, it just won't be as pronounced. In some higher end Japanese denims more than just the hems are chainstiched.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JO3B

Reaction score
i have no interest in going anywhere to inspect anything.

those not so interested should stick to apc. diving further in, it almost seems wrong to not chainstitch.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
these are the same jeans vox posted
waywt.jpg

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Roping would be the white crests along the folds of my chainstitched RRLs:
cimg4158jj1.jpg

Basically, your high-end raw jean falls into two categories:

1) Unwashed/Shrink-to-fit: The cotton in the denim has yet to touch water or been mechanically-treated and subsequently will shrink upon the first soak. Most jeans do not come this way and for good reason: the average consumer would get a headache trying to figure out which size to buy to account for future shrinkage which can be variable. If you do purchase an unwashed/shrink-to-fit pair of jeans, the idea would be to soak them in water BEFORE wearing them as they will be larger than tagged at purchase and will shrink 2-3" in the waist, 3-5" in length once washed.

2) One-wash/Sanforized: A majority of jeans today are made this way. The denim is still raw but has been treated, either in water or mechanically, to minimize future shrinkage. There are two schools of thought on this: a) soak these immediately like unwashed jeans to get over the 3-5% expected shrinkage or b) wear these straight out of the bag and worry about the soak/wash later since it is minimal. I personally belong to the latter group since soaked jeans will eventually stretch back out in the waist and you can get back length shrinkage by pulling on the legs while the jeans are still wet.

While most purists enjoy the guesswork of unwashed jeans, I have never had to deal with it and frankly don't see the point. In fact, places like Blue in Green offer the same jean model in an unwashed or one-wash state so that you can decide for yourself (guess which is more popular...).

RRL denim - how does one tell if they are of the first or second order?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
They will say "SHRINK TO FIT" on the back pocket tag. IIRC the STF RRLs also cost more, have a big buckle on the back, and come in a cloth bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads